22 of 25 people found the following review helpful
Near to Perfect Smart Phone, overall better than any nearest Rival,
This review is from: Samsung GT-i9250 Galaxy Nexus Unlocked Smartphone with Android OS 4.0, 16 GB Memory, Touchscreen, 5 MP Camera, Wi-Fi, and Dual-Core Processor--No Warranty (Titanium Silver) (Wireless Phone Accessory)I have just completed one month of owning of Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I have no doubt declaring I am very happy with this. This is the best smart phone on the market for the time being until iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3 releases. I had iPhone 4 for 2 months and I like many other people who could not be satisfied with beauty and fruit brand alone threw that 'dumb beauty' . For me that was more of a 'show off' rather than of practical use.
Apple itself in a recent patent suit directed against google termed this as the "most creditable competitor to iPhone'. Apple co founder which is not a apple employee anymore and hence free to speak truth freely declared iPhone easy to use but 'Android more feature rich'. He dismissed Siri totally saying he could not understand how come internet could be needed to make a call through Siri. Do I need to say more now? If yes then here is the detail review:
(1) Bigger HD contour display-> Though you can distinguish between pixels while looking closely unlike iPhone's Retina display, Nexus's display is gorgeous. Colors are very vibrant and rich. Black is real black (because of Super AMOLED display technology) which creates the whole difference.
The Screen is large and with medium hands I can reach to the whole screen stretching the thumb or fingers. Sometimes I tend to use the other hand (luckily I have two hands and both are fully functional so can't complaint).
Because of bigger screen this phone is more useful or convenient for what Apple invented iPhone for ie Browsing web, playing games, watching videos. And because of this I tend to depend lesser on PC/laptop/tablet. With bigger screen, power and customization of Android OS this phone is closer to our old friend PC/laptop.
**I run the same HD video both on nexus and iPhone 4S and nexus one was better to watch.**
Face unlock, NFC, android beam and google wallet (not available on Verizon version) are very cool. Face unlock works perfectly.
Built-in Data usage monitor is very helpful for not letting you go above your data limit.
-> Mine is international unlocked version which within a week got automatically updated to 4.0.2 from 4.0.1.
This has Best notification, better customization for web browsing.
Ohhhhhhhh... did I tell you android has taken two steps which is miles ahead of time and going to change the things completely? (i) No Physical button-> The buttons are in fact part of OS itself and function well. Hence the buttons can now be context specific and smarter. They change their position depending on how you are holding the phone or what you are doing. While watching video they disappear completely giving you the whole screen for watching, and yes they will reappear on appropriate place when you need them. (ii) Same OS for all devices: Unlike Apple now same application can run on any device running on ICS. For apple the applications need to be written separately both for iPhone and iPad. That's why Apple has lesser applications on iPads. With new approach of ICS now people will just write once and run it anywhere hence number of apps is going to get multiplied faster on ICS.
(3) Eco System (Apps)-> Android eco system (or app market) is there on par with Apple eco system. In the same period I have installed more applications than I did on iPhone 4 (because most applications are free compared to Apple). I am more functional on Android than I was on iPhone 4. There is nothing which I want and its not there. And yes now google going to start monitoring of applications so less argument against Android apps.
(4) Form factor-> I like its form factor more than of iPhone's. Countered makes it more convenient to use and keep in the pocket. Now to me iPhone is just any another device and I look on iPhone with pity.
(5) Battery-> I need to charge it once a day with low to moderate usage which is what other iPhone 4S customers are also doing. And if you are going to use it like laptop you will need to charge it more (is not this same with your laptop?). Better part is unlike iPhone you can carry batteries and change it easily. No complaint here.
(6) Reception-> Decent.
(7) Call quality-> Nice.
(8) Volume/Speaker-> Low, could be helped with volume control plus application.
(9) More social-> Very well integrated with google.
(10). Build-> Except the battery cover everything else is of high quality. I don't care about plastic versus metal debate. iPhone even with metal and corning glass are equivalently fragile and people have been reporting iPhone being broken having dropped just from 12 feet or so. And with gorilla glass on both ends iPhone 4 is more fragile. Remember gorilla glass is just scratch resistant not damage resistant.
(11) Typing-> is a breeze and it seems to read you mind and hence make typing a different experience than on iPhone. And big screen helps every here again.
Unfortunately this phone decided to do have some deliberate suicidal traits perhaps to avoid wiping away other Samsung devices. So here are the things which could have been improved upon:
(1) Speaker-> Could have been better (Minor+ issue)
(2) Reception-> Though not much complaint, Could have been just a 'little' better (Very Minor issue).
(3) Camera-> Could have been better definitely.
(4) External Storage-> Either they should have allowed adding external storage or given the device with more alternated with respect to storage capacities. (Minor issue)
(5) Display-> Should not be able to distinguish pixels (Minor issue but this should be ultimate goal for the display)
Conclusion-> This is the best smart phone on the market for the time being if you can live with some minor issue with volume. And all issues reported so far with this device seem to be software issues and should get corrected with updates or third part applications.
Tracked by 1 customer
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 6, 2012 9:20:06 AM PDT
Rafael Torres says:
Hy, does it have 3G over 900Mhz??? i would like to use it on Digitel Venezuela.
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 7:01:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2012 7:01:44 AM PDT
Manish Garg says:
Its likely to have what you are looking for here as its world phone (quad band). Please follow these two links (copy paste onto browser):
‹ Previous 1 Next ›