1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this Camera, February 9, 2012
This review is from: 2 Pack - Foscam FI8905W Outdoor Wireless/Wired IP Camera Waterproof with 30 Meter Night Vision and 4mm Lens (50° Viewing Angle) - Silver (Electronics)
I must say I've read all of the other reviews before purchasing this, so I was warned. Unfortunately, I still had questions after reading the reviews and the only way to answer them was to have a camera in hand.

THe FOSCAM camera brand is not all bad; the indoor cameras are quite worth the money and function superbly. This OUTDOOR camera, however, is one to avoid.

It wasn't particularly difficult to install. All the other reviewers focus on the network setup. I'll say only you have to know your way around your router to be able to make this work wirelessly. No step-by-step procedures from me: they're avialable elsewhere.

My complaint is twofold: the design of the camera and the quality.

As the camera is supposed to be an outdoor camera, I give it an "F" for design. It has a huge tri-purpose cable leaving the back of the camera that cannot be disconnected from the camera. On top of that, it has a massive ethernet jack at the end to plug in to the computer, a jack to connect the decidely INDOOR power supply and a reset button (all connected to the cable). The idea is that you run this all-weather cable INTO your house and if you need to connect to it later you can do it. My question is, How?

I would rather have an easy way to DISCONNECT the cable from the camera and BRING IT INSIDE than have to haul a computer up to my attic to plug it in. Also, I had to drill a 1.25 inch HOLE in the facia to get this monster connector through. Poor poor poor design.

The second complaint is quality. The camera is only 30 feet from the router yet it updates maybe every 3-5 seconds. Not really video as much as a lot of stills. It also has a very narrow field of view that, when mounted under the eaves of my two story house (all the way to the side of the house) it barely allows visibility to the front door stoop centered on the front of the house. To cover my front door and the approach, I actually need 2 or 3 cameras. Very disappointing.

After having it only 2 weeks it also appears to be failing now - not connecting on the network despite many trip up to the attic to press the conveniently located "reset" button.

The fact is, I ordered the two-pack of the camera and one is working like a champ (but 50% is still an 'F' in my book) - although it has inaccessible cable connection because of the difficulty in running the wire into the house (I actually have it connected to a LONG extension cord that hangs down the side of the house into a backyard socket - but I had to DUCT TAPE the indoor power supply to make it all weather.)

I don't know the answer to your question of "What kind of outdoor security camera should I buy", because I'm still looking. The FOSCAM Outdoor Camera didn't meet my expectations and unless you have VERY unique and convenient mounting requirements, you'll be disappointed too.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2012 11:48:27 AM PDT
Luan C. Do says:
"flyingblind" is absolute right on. I think one would need a big weatherproof lockable box/outlet installed next to the camera to house the connector and power supply. One would also need a wi-fi signal booster, as this camera has very poor reception.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 9:02:51 PM PST
The Don says:
God! why is it so freagin hard to buy a decent god damn security camera??? I've been looking for a month now with a few disappointing ones. So frustrating... most cameras give you a blurry vision, or they lack viewing angle, or they break soon.
I mean it's simple. A security camera should shine in 2 aspects. Viewing angle and Clarity. that's it.
Can you please reply to us if you find a good one.
I'm not looking to spend 500 bucks on a camera either.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2013 1:31:57 PM PDT
BK2X says:
Any luck finding a decent candidate? I can't muster up enough courage to try any of these outdoor ip cameras out yet based on all the negative reviews.

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 5:33:44 PM PDT
Flyingblind pretty much sums it up. The WIFI reception is pretty bad on this camera. You have to have the camera within 3 feet of an access point inorder to get normal speed out of the web UI and the camera picture. This cam can only be mounted from the bottom and must face right side up. The viewing angle is also pretty bad. Foscam can do a lot better with this cam.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›