5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Ultrabook, July 26, 2012
This review is from: HP Envy 4-1030us 14-Inch Ultrabook (Black) (Personal Computers)
The HP Envy 4-1030us Ultrabook is a fantastic machine! I ordered this because of the look, the thin and light design, and the amazing features. And it didn't disappoint!

Pros:
- This laptop looks amazing! I love the black and red scheme and the bottom really is fun to touch (and not too hot thanks to HP Cool Sense).
- The keyboard and touch pad are fun to use! Typing is an absolute breeze and the gestures on the touch pad are incredibly intuitive and efficient. The back-lit keyboard can be turned on and off easily.
- The battery life is phenomenal.
- The screen looks great and is the perfect size for mobile performance. The screen resolution looks good at this size.
- Incredibly fast start-up and shutdown times. General responsiveness is great.
- The built in audio is about as good as it gets. External audio still sounds better (it always does), but the speakers do go a long way.
- The CPU does well at balancing performance and battery life. (Don't let the 1.7Ghz fool you, it boosts on its own up to 2.4 - 2.6, and Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors pack more punch than older models.)

Neutral:
- The RAM is a little low for me, I would have liked to see 6GB or even 8. But 4GB does get the job done for me now, and the RAM should be fairly upgradeable (to a max of 16GB) for users who aren't afraid to open up their machine. The 4GB is a single DIMM which is nice for upgrading.
- The webcam is neither wonderful nor terrible. The microphones are better than the video in my opinion.
- There is no optical drive. I rarely use one anyway, and I already own an external DVD drive so it wasn't much of a problem. If you don't have an external drive, I strongly suggest purchasing one along with this ultrabook. They are fairly inexpensive.

Cons:
- Mine arrived with a noticeable crack on the front of the red base.
- The left and right click buttons on the touch pad make an annoying sound when clicked. This is common for laptops, but for this slick, thin machine it's somewhat off-putting. I imagine I will grow accustomed to it soon. Frankly, you won't need to use those very often anyway, mainly for right-clicking.
- Bloatware! Of course this is also common and somewhat hard to avoid. Several programs are easily uninstalled, but HP software should be treated with a bit more care. After a bit of time removing start up programs and advertisement-shortcuts, the computer feels a lot less bloated.

I wanted a new laptop to replace my outdated one. In particular, I needed portability, looks, battery life, and performance, and I didn't want to give up features. This ultrabook was the perfect compromise. At just 0.78 inches thin and just under 4 pounds, it is incredibly portable. I love the mix of sleek, unique, and professional - I feel comfortable bringing this to any situation home, work, or school. The battery seems to last forever depending on what I'm doing, even on full brightness. The performance is greater than I could have ever hoped, and the features (like Beats audio and dual-array microphones) are nice.

If you're looking for an affordable ultrabook with a unique, sleek design and excellent performance, this is the one!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 15, 2012 10:36:19 AM PDT
John Smith says:
Just wondering, why would you need more than 4 gigs of RAM? I know 8 is now the norm in laptops, but I never saw the need to go past 4 in them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012 1:12:15 PM PDT
Tyler S. says:
Yes I agree it is probably unnecessary right now. I listed under neutral because it doesn't really detract from the laptop but others are better in that area. It runs very well with the 4GB it has.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 12:20:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 12, 2012 3:16:07 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 1:43:56 PM PDT
Tyler S. says:
Thanks! Yeah I hear some "muted clicking" sounds that are usually not anything to worry about... Mine isn't very noticeable but I do occasionally realize it is there. Probably nothing to worry about if it isn't the obvious defect sounds and there are no others warning signs like errors or a recent drop.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 10:02:57 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 29, 2012 1:25:12 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (73 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $403.89