5.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT have DLNA support (update: now has DNLA as of Feb-2011), November 30, 2010
This review is from: Sony BDV-E370 Sony 5.1 Blu-ray Disc System [3D Compatible] (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Just got this all-in-one Bluray theater today. In general it's a nice bargain (especially at the GoldBox deal from Thanksgiving). I use it in our Living Room to replace the TV speakers, so the sound is definitely an improvement. I probably wouldn't use this in a true "home theater" since the subwoofer isn't powered. But for general Bluray listening in the Living Room and for Netflix streaming, it sounds just fine. It does what it claims and has a lot of good streaming options (Netflix, Pandora, etc). Picture quality is excellent. Bluray player is similar to Sony's BDP-S370 player.

However, unlike all of the reviews (on the Internet) of this unit that I read before purchasing, this unit does NOT have DLNA support for streaming music from your local network servers. In fact on page 35 of the included manual in the section "Playing files stores on a DLNA server" it specifically says: "Except for BDV-E370 U.S. models".

This is extremely annoying. It's obvious to me that this device *used* to have this feature, which is why all of the older reviews mention it. My guess is that it was removed in a software update. Yes, I did the network update and now it says that no other update is available. I didn't check to see if DLNA was available before the update. The related setup page for DLNA called "Connection Server Settings" in the "Network Settings" screen is also missing.

Unless you get a really good price deal on this, I'd recommend the BDV-E570 instead which has the DLNA support and also includes the WiFi adapter. I had a wired Ethernet, so the adapter wasn't a big deal. But if I had known that this unit really didn't support DLNA, I probably would not have bought it. Now that it's already installed and working, I'll probably keep it.

Maybe we can convince Sony to put DLNA support back into this device. It's obviously just a software issue and I'm annoyed at Sony for not including this and am annoyed at the reviews that all say it has it when it doesn't. But that's why I'm giving only 4 stars.

Update #1: Since there is no HDMI input, to hook up your cable box you need to connect the digital audio output of the cable box to the input on the E370. You use your TV to switch the video and use the E370 to switch the audio. The only problem with this is that the Sony E370 does not support discrete remote codes for the different audio inputs. It only has a "NextInput" command. So you'll need a smart remote (like a Harmony) that can remember what input is currently selected so that it knows how many "NextInputs" to send to the E370 to get it to the correct channel.

Update #2: (12/17/2010) Just installed the latest v735 firmware and still no DLNA support :(

Update #3: (2/11/2011) With the latest firmware update M04.R.752 I can confirm that DLNA support has now been added to this device. It automatically sees my Windows 7 computer on the local network and can play music and see photos. As others have reported, there still isn't any way to "shuffle" a play list, but that's pretty minor. I would now rate this item as 5 STARS. Thanks to Sony for finally updating this device to what it was advertised.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2010 5:54:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2010 5:55:33 AM PST
JamieinMN says:
I ordered this product during the Thanksgiving GoldBox Deal. I'm suppose to get my unit on Thursday. I will check to see if the DLNA option is available and let you know if it did have that feature "out of the box".

This will be my first home theater system, and am currently just using my TV speakers for sound. So I'm definately expecting an improvement over that. I also want a dedicated blu-ray/dvd player as to save life on my PS3.

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 12:36:21 PM PST
You need to update the firmware from Sony support to be playing files using DLNA

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 12:07:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2010 1:39:25 PM PST
M. Potter says:
As I mentioned in my review, I already applied the update. Firmware is version 708, which is the latest. I spent about 3 hours with the top-level Sony tech support yesterday. They seem to think that the E370 *should* support DLNA, but they have escalated this issue to their engineers to find out if DLNA support was recently removed.

If somebody out there is actually *using* DLNA on a BDV-E370 with the latest firmware, then please post.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 7:54:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2010 7:58:05 PM PST
Angel says:
Make sure you update the device using a cd-r disc using the info at the esupport.sony site. I updated my device using the network and the DLNA support does not show up at all. Check to see if your original firmware starts with "M03", if it does be very careful and follow the update info exactly. Hopefully you will be one of those lucky enough to actually have DLNA support cause I have my doubts Sony will ever get their act together any time soon. I should probably return it for an exchange and then try the above mentioned procedure and staying clear of the network update.

If you updated the device already you are out of luck unless Sony sends out a specific update to address this issue, but I wouldn't hold my breath any time soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 8:42:05 PM PST
JamieinMN says:
I don't see any DLNA option out of the box.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 9:03:08 PM PST
Jay says:
What is your Firmware version ? My ver is M04.R.708 and it does not show "Connection server setting" or whatever under "Network Settings". you seem to be the only one who got it right for playing files using DLNA. Would appreciate if you could share some words of wisdom :)

Thanks for raising our hopes about DLNA because everywhere in the manual is mention it is not supposed to support it for BDVe370 model

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 8:10:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2010 8:11:19 PM PST
Angel says:
Posting to update the DLNA issues for this reviewer:

Sony techs have been clueless so far about the BDV-E370 DLNA non support issue, even after applying the updates that claim to add such features!

The updates have already been tried by many folks using the only two possible procedures (the Network or CD-R methods) both have failed to add DLNA features onto the the BDV-E370, but it does add such features to the BDV-E570 and higher models using the very same update "M04.R.708".

It's funny how on the top outside of the box itself, it clearly shows the "DLNA Certified Logo" along with Sony's own support website that claims the firmware update "M04.R.708" adds those features, but it was all a lie. Sony really botched this one and this is truly false advertising, what a bunch of clowns!

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 10:33:13 PM PST
Ehsan Davani says:
Hi,
I got the new update M04.R.752, may I ask you how can I connect my laptop to the player and for example play a movie on my laptop and watch it from TV with the E370 speakers.

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 7:43:02 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 1, 2011 9:14:34 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 5:19:20 PM PST
Tg says:
Hi. Does dlna mean I can stream movies from my pc? Does the system support divx?

Thx!