Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

1,438 of 1,511 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars My Son Won't Put it Down, August 19, 2011
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad1 Explorer Learning Tablet, green (Toy)
Hi! I am Erin T. and I run a website called theMomBuzz. Recently I received a LeapPad from LeapFrog to review and I am sharing my thoughts here on Amazon.

The LeapPad has a great 5" screen. It is large and bright. I didn't see a way to control the brightness. The screen is larger than the Leapster Explorer Screen, which measures 3.2". The resolution for the LeapPad is 480 x 272. (The Leapster Explorer was 420 x 420.) It is a touch screen. You can use your finger or the supplied stylus. The stylus is magnetic, but it can be harnessed to the device with a supplied cord. An extra stylus is supplied in case one gets broken or lost. That has happened 3 times to us with other Leapsters - so it is great having that extra on hand.

The LeapPad device is white with green accents. There is also a violet option, which is nice for the girls. On the front of the tablet there is a power button, sound down and sound up button, and home button. There is also a large silver button that can be used like a finger control, to move a cursor up, down, left, right or explore other options.

The LeapPad comes with a camera, video recorder and microphone. The camera can take 30,000 pictures and the LeapPad can record 120 minutes of video.

GAMES & ACTIVITIES:

The LeapPad is similar to the Leapster Explorer in what kids can do with it. They can read e-books, play learning games, enhance art and animation skills, listen to and play music, learn writing, watch videos, and do flash cards. It also has a built-in camera and video recorder, while that requires an additional accessory for the Leapster Explorer.

One thing I LOVE about the LeapPad is that it works with other Leapster Explorer Games and Apps! That means if I download an app for my son's Leapster Explorer, I can also upload it onto my other son's LeapPad. And the boys can also share cartridges. And with the LeapPad came a HUGE library of game cartridges and apps to choose from. Most games and apps are extra, though, not included with a LeapPad purchase.

What game(s) do come with your LeapPad purchase?

1. PetPad: Learn to draw letters while teaching a custom pet tricks. Keep your pet healthy and clean with feeding and washing. The Leapster Explorer also comes with PetPad, but with the LeapPad kids can use the microphone to "blow dry" their pet, they shake the device to help their pet JUMP over a pond to pop balloons and they can even tilt the device to move the pet as it follows them onto their home page. You need to connect the LeapPad to your computer to use collected points to purchase food and accessories for the pet. Don't worry - it won't die if you don't do it. But it encourages you as a parent to connect the game to the computer so you can track your child's learning progress.

2. Story Studio: All About Me: The artwork, photos, writing and recordings kids create all culminate in the Story Studio experience. In the Story Studio, kids create their own book that can be uploaded to view in LeapFrog Connect or shared with friends via Facebook or e-mail.

3. Art Studio: I am SO THRILLED that Art Studio was included with the LeapPad. The Leapster Explorer didn't have an included Art Program - so my boys were using the Art Studio from Mr. Pencil or Tangled to get creative. The Leapster 2 DID come with an Art Studio, so I was a little sad when I found out the Leapster Explorer didn't. And whenever a parent asked me what game to get for their new Leapster Explorer, I always said, "Mr. Pencil saves Doodleburg," because it was educational and creative. But with the included Art Studio, it gives me more options for what games we can get next. With the Art Studio the boys use stamps, shapes, pattern brushes, pencils, erasers (all virtual) to create pictures and express their creativity.

4. Camera/ Video Recorder: The LeapPad has a built-in camera and video recorder. My son used it immediately to take a picture of me. And then I used it to take a picture of HIM for his profile. That's when I realized that the camera is low-res. He loves taking photos and videos, but he can tell the difference of quality. But it is good for the purpose and helps keep the cost of the product lower than if it was a higher-res camera. With the camera kids can take pictures and videos and then add fun effects.

Additional games, books and videos have to be added either as an app or with a cartridge. Remember, there is a library of over 100 choices. Additional apps and games are separate reviews on theMomBuzz. Please refer to the bottom of the post to connect you to these other reviews.

WHO TO BUY THIS FOR:

The LeapPad is designed for children 4 to 9. I would actually feel comfortable giving this to an advanced, tech savvy 2 year old. (Parents and grandparents will know who I am talking about! So many toddlers can use a smart phone better than an adult. This is a much better alternative to giving a toddler your precious iPad.)

WHY BUY IT?

Why do I suggest the LeapPad for kids 2 - 6? Well, my sons have owned a Leapster since they were 2 and I feel that the educational games have helped them with their writing, science and match skills. It's a creative outlet. And it's a great way to disguise learning as fun. I know some parents purchase the Nintendo DSis and other handhelds, but we've gotten away without needing to purchase one yet - even though their cousins own those handhelds. My kids have been happy with their Leapsters and the new LeapPad as their handheld and entertainment of choice. And I prefer it to, knowing the games were designed with learning in mind.

Plus, the Leapster Explorer and the LeapPad are great that you can keep challenging them with new apps, they are cross-compatible to take each other's games and the LeapPad remembers your child's progress from game-to-game and book-to-book.

Finally, maybe you are trying to decide between the Leapster Explorer and the LeapPad. Both are EXCELLENT devices. I :heart: them both. But with the LeapPad you are getting the camera/video recorder built in, it has a microphone, it has a larger screen and kids will experience a new way of reading with Ultra eBooks, an interactive cinematic reading experience. (I'll post more about that this week when I review the Cars2 Ultra eBook.)

MORE THAN ONE PLAYER:

The LeapPad does allow for more than one person to sign-on to the game. Only one person can play at a time. But... if my oldest is in school and my youngest wants to play, I can sign-in under his name. So then the LeapPad will know that the younger brother is playing and will adjust the settings to make the games challenging enough for his level of learning.

And I have to say, when I first turned this on (after my 5-year old had been playing for a few hours) I saw that he created a profile for ME. How sweet is that? He had my name, my picture and chose a nice pink background for me. :heart:

RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES:

I am also really excited that this is the first LeapFrog device I own that accepts rechargeable batteries. Previously all the devices stated that peak performance wouldn't occur with those batteries. But that has changed now! And trust me, your kids will be running down the batteries in the beginning as they won't want to go anywhere without the LeapPad.

WHAT IT COMES WITH:

When you purchase the LeapPad, it comes with a CD to get LeapFrog Connect on your computer, a USB cord and an extra stylus.

WHAT YOU MAY WANT TO BUY:

* LeapPad Case to keep it protected when not in use
* LeapPad Gel Skin to protect it when being used
* Headphones so you don't have to listen to the games when traveling or in an office

All accessories can be found at LeapFrog.com.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 77 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 21, 2011 12:08:49 PM PDT
Good Review; awaiting our shipment from Leapfrog. However see my note:
I've been using rechargable batteries since buying the explorer and the leapster; so this is not the first one to accept them. I think with this kind of devices, it is the only way to go.
"I am also really excited that this is the first LeapFrog device I own that accepts rechargeable batteries. Previously all the devices stated that peak performance wouldn't occur with those batteries"

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 9:23:35 AM PDT
The Saint says:
I wonder if this is a "real" review. You didn't find ANY negatives to this product, eh? If it is real , my apologies. If not, shame on you...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 10:58:17 AM PDT
the Mom Buzz says:
No prob. My only issue is I only have one!! My four year old wants it so badly. :smile: Feel free to ask any questions though and I'll be happy to answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011 11:02:53 AM PDT
the Mom Buzz says:
You know, I think all Leapsters take rechargeable batteries - I just remember the guide saying it wouldn't be peak performance. That said, I can't find anything to back me up on previous LeapFrog products performing better with regular batteries. I do think the battery life is better on the LeapPad? I remember at this point changing the batteries in his Leapsters already!

Thank you for your comment and feel free to link up to your review so I can read your thought once it arrives!

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 5:20:04 PM PDT
To the Saint:
leapfrog makes good quality products. We have 2 original leapsters, the explorer and many games. I was very pleased last year when they brought the explorer which was a huge improvement over the leapster 1 and 2. Now they came with the tablet idea just as we recently bought an I Pad. From the specs of the device it has many add ons over the explorer as in the gyroscope, camera included, and art studio. While it is not a cheap device it is well worth the money for the educational value. Wait for my review over the weekend as our son's BD is Friday.

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 8:57:13 PM PDT
Nice Lady says:
Thank you for taking the time to post the measurements and fax. Whether a "real review" or not, it was very helpful, thanks.

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 5:08:14 AM PDT
Anne Heyn says:
Can you listen to music and watch videos? And if so, can you load stuff from iTunes, or how do you get it on the device?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 6:25:02 AM PDT
A. Sinha says:
You can only load things from Leapfrog Connect. They do have videos that have music in them but there is no music only player. Apps cost $7-$10 from their store.

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 9:00:37 PM PDT
esand says:
Is this comparable with Leapster games?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2011 5:26:47 AM PDT
the Mom Buzz says:
@Ernesto - The LeapPad will accept the small, green Leapster Explorer Games. It is not compatible with the original Leapster or Leapster 2 games, though. All future Leapster Explorer/LeapPad games should have both logos on the containers, to avoid confusion. But considering we have a library of 10+ Leapster Explorer games, I am thrilled that the boys can share them on both their Explorer and LeapPad. HTH!

Erin T.