5.0 out of 5 stars One Word: Perfect, July 27, 2010
This review is from: Apple MacBook MC516LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
As a student, I was pretty hesitant to get the MacBook, but after MONTHS of exhaustive research looking for the right laptop (I'm a networking student, and also I am working on my A+ PC Repair certification, so I know a thing or two about PC's and Windows), I decided that I needed a change in my life. I've had an IBM ThinkPad T60 last me four years through school, but after 4 re-install's of XP, I've had enough of the constant attacks of viruses, spyware, etc...and I decided to go with the MacBook.

PROS:

Perfect for web browsing, e-mail, and document creation.
Comes with great features right out of the box: iLife simply rocks; it comes with PhotoBooth, Garageband (where you can create your own music or learn to how play an instrument), Preview, and iMovie (it's basically an easier version of Windows Movie Maker)
Time Machine for backing up documents and pictures, which is FAR SUPERIOR than using the Backup Feature in Windows.
Wi-Fi is SO EASY to set-up using what Apple calls "Airport", just go to the wi-fi antenna at the top of the right-hand corner and set-up right there.
Printing: Coming from a Windows world, and living in a household with a wireless network, setting up a printer was a pain in the butt with Windows, with Mac, it's SO EASY to set-up and begin printing.
BlueTooth: BlueTooth is common in all laptops nowadays, and again, like setting up a printer, it basically connects with the BlueTooth device automatically.
MagSafe Adapter: Apple introduced this idea called MagSafe. If someone got caught on your power cord, it would take the cord and not the computer. I can't tell you how many times my dogs got caught on my IBM power cord and basically almost took the computer with it.
Battery Life: Wow, what a difference. I was coming from a half-hour battery life on my IBM, although Apple says that the battery can last on a 10 hours on a single charge, in the real world, it's falls under 6 hours, but still this is pretty incredible.

CONS:

2GB of RAM. Now coming from a Windows world, Windows is a memory hogger, so the more RAM you have in a Windows system, you are good to go, but with a Mac, it's different. Now if you are compressing 1080p video on a MacBook, the system starts to hick-up trying to catch-up. My advice? Upgrade to 4GB or get the MacBook Pro.
EXPENSIVE: Like all Apple products, it's pretty expensive. I was pretty hesitant to buy a MacBook because it was pretty pricey and being a student i.e. poor, I needed to save up a good chunk of money to buy one of these machines.

So if you are in the market for a new laptop, only need to do some document creating, and web-browsing this Mac is for you. If you want to do some high-end video compression, go with the MacBook Pro since the Pro lines are more aimed at high-end video production. This is definitely a perfect system if all you want is just web-browsing and document creation.

Happy Shopping!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2011 2:02:51 PM PST
I am thinking of buying a Mac laptop for the first time. I'm not clear on this, but it seems that this one does not come with any wordprocessing program. Am I correct?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011 4:23:18 PM PST
OS X Snow Leopard comes with a text editor similar to Notepad in Windows. You will need to purchase Microsoft Office 2011 or Apple iWork separately.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 10:34:20 AM PDT
I have the Mac Word for Windows, v.2008. It works like a dream. I don't remember how much it cost (2008?), but you MIGHT be able to download it. The word processing features are included in an extra purchase (figures), but they aren't compatible with Windows. The Mac Word for Windows 2008 was a very good investment!

Posted on Aug 25, 2011 11:52:52 AM PDT
gadgetgirl says:
Thank you for pointing out what everyone else bashing the Macbook has overlooked, that its a MAC not Windows and the 2gb of ram are completely different on a Mac than on Windows. I just got my Macbook before they got discontinued and am so glad I did. The specs on it are quite similar to my 4 yr old Sony laptop, which was impressive at the time and still has more options than most laptops today, but not nearly sufficient for me as my desktop has 16gb of ram and i7 processor (talk about multi-tasking), so you can see what I am used to. I gave my Sony to my mom when I got my Mac and am amazed at how fast and how well it performs with the same specs as my old Sony. Now I watch my mom constantly frustrated at Windows freezing, blue and black screens of death and just plain being slow as molasses. This is exactly what my friend, told be when I was considering this purchase. I couldn't comprehend how this could be, but now I know and the Mac does sooooooo much more than my PC laptop ever could, which should mean something given what I am used to working with as far as speed and power. So while it may seem behind in its specs and yes you can get a Windows laptop with the same specs for far less, it will not do anywhere near what the Mac will, so I would not call it outdated as some others have said. You cannot compare the two based on numbers alone.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (166 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $279.00