5.0 out of 5 stars Having the right tools makes the job easier, September 20, 2011
This review is from: Wacom Bamboo Create Pen and Touch Tablet (CTH670) [Old Version] (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I need to say up front that this is my first tablet, so I have can not do a comparison between various tablets. I am not in the graphic design business although I dabble a little bit in graphic design and photo editing. It wasn't until I got this tablet that I realized how much easier certain editing tasks can be with the right tools.

First impressions:

The Bamboo Create is sleek and light-weight. It has a flat metallic finish with sleek, smooth black buttons on the side. The pen is a comfortable size for most size hands (large or small). The attached loop holder for the pen is a nice feature which reduces the chance of the pen being misplaced.

Features and Set-up:

It comes packaged with Corel Painter Essentials, Autodesk Sketchbook Express, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 WE3, as well as some special offer freebies such as a free Shutterfly photo book. It features training videos for Photoshop Elements and Corel Painter Essentials. The Bamboo Dock allows you to access various apps for the Bamboo tablet.

The power cord is a removable micro usb to usb cable. This can be upgraded by purchasing the wireless accessory kit which is a nice option if you want to have freedom from the cable or if you use your tv as your computer monitor.

A huge plus for us is the fact that this tablet can be configured (on the fly) for either left-handed or right-handed users. Since we have both in our home, we really appreciate this particular feature. The buttons on the tablet as well as the pen can be customized and configured to your desired settings.

The active use area is 8.5 X 5.4 inches and works with both touch and pen input. Once again, this can be configured to you desired specs.

The initial set-up as well as software install was extremely easy. While you can just plug in and use, you will not have full features unless you install the software. The bundled software was a nice addition to overall package.

Ease of Use:

Because we had never used a tablet, we weren't sure how easy it would be to use this tool. We quickly found it was pretty intuitive. Obviously, some programs have more of a learning curve than others, but the tablet itself is easy to use. It will take some time to get use to the exact amount of pressure needed to perform certain tasks.

As with any writing to text input, some translation errors are to be expected. We had a few laughs over some of the words created when we wrote on the tablet. It's too early to say how often this errors would happen when writing on a regular basis. Because this is primarily being targeted as a creative tool rather than a business tool, this may not be a critical issue.

Where this tablet shines is when it comes to drawing, artist renderings, photo editing... basically, the creative side of things. Both my husband and daughter were extremely pleased at the sketches they were able to create. The ease of drawing and also erasing was wonderful. The tablet/pen responded well to lighter and heavier pressure just as a pen and paper would in real life. My daughter really liked the ability to erase cleaning which is not always possible with real sketches depending on the medium used to create the sketches.

As someone who dabbles in photography, I could quickly see how using this tablet will help greatly with photo editing where a mouse falls completely short. I'm looking forward to being able to make more precise edits as well as doing some more create editing with this new tool. This tablet also opens the door to more graphic design possibilities.

Final Thoughts:

As a new user in the tablet market, the Bamboo Create meets all of our criteria and then some. It's a tool that can be used by all family members and will be a great asset in our homeschool setting. The photo editing possibilities that come from the precision that comes with this tool are endless. We did find that occasionally there was some lag in input or it didn't register the input. I'm not sure if this is user error or just the nature of the tablet. If other things come to light, I will update this review to reflect them. As it stands, we all feel this is a great product with multiple uses for a variety of age groups.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2011 4:46:13 PM PST
Alice says:
Welp. That was an awesome review. Thank you!

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 12:10:02 AM PDT
lisacoxHP says:
So does this tablet come with drawing programs or do you have to get them yourself?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 8:13:19 AM PDT
It comes with Photoshop Elements, Corel Painter Essentials, AutoDesk Sketchbook Express and Nik Color Filters. So, you'll have a sketch (drawing) program, a "painting" program, as well as photo editing program.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 3:17:32 PM PDT
I cannot find anyplace the version of Elements can you please tell which version comes with the tablet? thank-you

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 3:40:16 PM PDT
I "think" it comes with photoshop elements 9, but I'm not positive.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 7:10:38 PM PDT
KB says:
This review is for the Bamboo Create, but this is the product page for Bamboo Splash.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 7:55:23 PM PDT
I posted it under the Bamboo Create (and it shows up under that product), but unfortunately, amazon does sometimes combine reviews. Very frustrating, but as a reviewer, I can't do anything about it.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 8:28:31 AM PDT
R. Benari says:
Thanks for this terrific review. Complete and telling. I'm looking to use this tablet on a Mac running OSX 10.8; and I'll use it most with Photoshop. I'm most interested in programming the buttons so they map to Photoshop shortcuts I've set up. These are linked mostly to filters.

(Aside: Wacom sales support was unsure of the answer to this question and suggested I query other uses. A red flag for me, but your review puts some of my concerns to rest.)

I'm grateful for anything you can share about the programable keys and how you use them.

Thanks in advance-
Best-
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,758 customer reviews)
 (1,129)