Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Flynn., February 7, 2012
This review is from: Kill Shot: An American Assassin Thriller (The Mitch Rapp Prequel Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Kill Shot is the sequel to American Assassin, which itself was a prequel to the long running series featuring Mitch Rapp. This book contines the story of Rapp's development as an asset for the CIA. He has spent his first year "running solo" - infiltrating the world's terror cells and killing with purpose. The spree has not gone unnoticed and elements of the terrorist networks want the killing to stop.

The turning point is an attempt on a Libyan diplomat in Paris. The kill goes all wrong and Rapp must fight his way out - leaving behind carnage and a mess that needs accountability - from someone. Rapp is unwilling to trust his fellow spies at the CIA and his longtime nemesis, Stan Hurley, uses this to target Rapp as a problem that needs to be eliminated.

Flynn deftly tells his story, even though longtime readers can discern some of the outcome just by having read "future" installments. I did not know how he was going to weave a taut thriller with so much of the story having been already written - but he manages superbly. Flynn layers the past artfully, giving us pieces of the history that will make Rapp lethal.

The stand alone story within this prequel is full of duplicity and the reader must decide what is justified and how often does the official story deviate from the truth? But it is clear why Rapp forges his own moral code and trusts so few.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 7, 2012 5:42:27 PM PST
Hmm.... Kill Shot by Vince Flynn is available at COSTCO for $12.50. I had hoped that the Kindle price would have been less that that.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 5:31:51 AM PST
Bud128 says:
Because we all know the kindle version has to be cheaper than the hardcover price anywhere in the world

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 8:43:48 AM PST
G says:
I wish I had known that before I bought the book from Amazon. And of course, Amazon pricing the kindle at 26 cents less than the hardback means the hardback won out for me.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 8:12:09 AM PST
I am totally confused by the reviews ! Vince Flynn is my favorite author. It appears that there is a difference between the hard cover edition and the kindle edition which affects the overall rating. The negative comments say the book suddenly stops. One of the comments in the negative section says he read the hard back version and he did not find the issues as stated for kindle version. I would want the kindle version but not if there is a difference. I find it hard to believe that Amazon would allow this to happen or at least not get it fixed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 8:24:04 AM PST
MED says:
The book does not stop abruptly on Kindle, the book ends at the 70%+ mark because there is a sneak peak at his next book. But Kill Shot is there in its entirety.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 9:24:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2012 9:28:04 AM PST
For my money, the Kindle version is way too expensive. I just bought a Barry Eisler book for $8 (Fault Line: A Novel), and a shorter, novella-length thriller by Roger Vallon for $3.00, Kill Factor (Kill Factor Series). I already read the Roger Vallon book which went by at a good clip, but I REFUSE to pony up $15 for a Kindle book. I don't care who wrote it. And I'm a huge Flynn fan. Thanks for the Costco tip!

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 12:49:02 PM PST
H. Phillips says:
I appreciate your review of this book, however, I am a new reader of Vince Flynn and not familiar with any duplicity or rewrites so I am assuming for a first read that this won't make any difference. And as to your comment that the "story deviates from the truth". What exactly are you referring to?

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 12:53:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2012 12:54:36 PM PST
H. Phillips says:

This reminds me a great deal of "Jack Reacher" by "Lee Child". I have read everything Child has written (I think).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 2:10:46 PM PST
"Big Mike" says:
@Thomas "bookworm" Kazanski, I'm a HUGE Barry Eisler fan, so I may give your Kill Factor purchase a try, though I'm not sure if you're comparing the authors or lumping them in the same league or what. At any rate, the book looks interesting. Not many reviews though.

As to the exorbitant price of the Vince Flynn Kindle I think I'm with the majority on this. Can't support this $12 - $14.99 ripoff pricing for digital versions of books we can all get in HARD cover for the same price!

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 7:18:04 AM PST