Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Never mind the ad campaign, see the movie., August 29, 2000
This review is from: The Iron Giant [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Due to horrendous advertising that buried most of the movie's charms, most people think this movie is a b-grade kiddie flick. But ignore the brainless trailers and the awful extreme-sport ad campaign that accompanied the video release, and you'll be rewarded with an astonishing film.
The Iron Giant is complex and sophisticated enough to be a live-action movie, indeed more complex and sophisticated than the movies that trounced it at the box office (I'm talking to you, Inspector Gadget). It is a remarkable achievement of all the elements of a movie working at their very best.
The visuals are astounding. The script is funny without resorting to cheap laughs. The characters are well-rounded. The voice talents are ideal, from the Giant's rumble to Hogarth's wide-eyed wonder (for a welcome change, a pre-adolescent boy does the voice instead of someone trying to sound like one).
Most interestingly, the movie makes such a dynamic, empathic character of the titular hunk of metal that we genuinely care about his fate. At the film's climactic scene, I was ashamed at the tears running down my face, until I saw that my three friends (all of us twenty-something, manly guys) were misty-eyed as well.
Anyone over the age of 8 will love this film. If you don't like animation, try this on for size. If you love all types of animation, see it NOW. Even though the film's marketing department apparently doesn't want you to see it, you'll be glad you did.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 31, 2010 6:09:36 AM PST
My 2-year old liked it a lot, too! And at age 3 she liked it even more.

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 7:02:25 PM PDT
J. Burge says:
About the Misty-eyed-ness--
It's extremely hard not to get teary at the end when he says "Superman..." and closes his eyes....
The movie is a hidden GEM, I seriously push this movie along with several others on friends who aren't big movie buffs and love stuff like the Fallout games--it has elements of detective noir, classic scifi, and cold war paranoia--as well as great humor that's easily gotten by everyone, and a likeable, relatable protagonist(c'mon, how many of us would be terrified but still curious about the giant metal man?!).
Dean(BEATNIK!) was another character I loved. His character was utterly real, from the weird sculptures to the attitude.
To echo a question I've asked many times: Why can't they make more movies like this?

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 4:06:23 PM PST
Ray D. Tutto says:
It has a look and feel like no other animated feature that came before or after it. It tells a story worth telling and tells it well. It needs a big screen to do it justice. Do not feel ashamed of your tears. It brought out your emotion without resorting to being mawkish or maudlin.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 8:09:57 PM PST
A Reader says:
I always get a lump in my throat, too, which I hide from my kid. A beautiful movie, indeed.

Posted on May 8, 2014 5:03:13 PM PDT
Yes, I agree with this review. I am a grandma and I watched it with my youngest when he was around 6. I just watched it with my grandson who is 6. This is a wonderful film for children and adults alike. The message is sweet, the artwork is awesome, and the voices are believable. Highly recommend!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2015 11:35:11 AM PDT
Just reading the words "Superman..." and hearing them in his voice chokes me up. Christ. I'm sitting here at work excited about this new signature edition, so i go to amazon to see if it is available, I click review, and suddenly I feel like I got a gut punch. It is a testament to the quality of the movie that it still hits me this hard so many years after seeing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2016 8:23:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2016 8:24:21 AM PST
Yep, my son who is 11 now, has watched it since he was 2 as well, and still loves it. He says it is one of his favorite movies.

I actually know some of the guys that worked on this film(back from my animation days) and they put alot into it and unfortunately it got lost in the shuffle and the marketing/etc did a horrible job of promoting it.
Never got the credit it was due.

Posted on Jan 25, 2016 9:18:36 AM PST
Loop says:
My son is 3.5 and loves this movie. Highly recommend.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›