Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrived defective, and Apple support - doesn't!, October 18, 2012
This review is from: Apple iPod shuffle 2GB Slate (4th Generation) NEWEST MODEL (Electronics)
If you're buying an Apple product, you'd better hope you never need to use their warranty service - its about the poorest excuse for service I've ever encountered. As for the device, itself, since it arrived defective, I can't recommend that either.

I ordered the newest (just released) 4th generation iPod Shuffle as a gift for a family member. It arrived promptly, seemed to set up and charge fine and, that first day, seemed to work fine for the 2 or 3 hours left in the day. The next morning, it was dead - wouldn't even turn on. Okay, I thought, maybe it didn't charge properly (although I'd charged it for 3 or 4 hours the previous day, as well as plugging it in overnight), so I charged it for another 3 or 4 hours, and again, it worked fine, and, again, it was dead the next morning.

Understand, I already own a 4th gen shuffle I use for audio books, so I'm very familiar with them and have never had a problem - until now.

I called Apple Support and the technician sent me a list of instructions to follow to reset the iPod to ensure it wasn't the software. Here's where the trouble started - the instructions couldn't be followed. Menu options he said to use weren't on the iTunes screen, etc.. Another aspect of his instructions was, to put it mildly, ludicrous - I was supposed to load only one song on the iPod and put it in loop play mode and listen until it stopped - I'd already told him it played for hours if used immediately after charging - I was not going to listen to the same song hour after hour just so I could tell him it played for hours - I don't like any song that much.

Anyway, I did restore the software using the options that appeared in iTunes, largely ignoring the unusable instructions the technician sent. It didn't help. I called Apple "support" back and a helpful technician said no problem, I'll send you a replacement device. He needed to place a charge on my credit card (which I thought strange) but that charge would be refunded when I reurned the defective shuffle.

A short while later, while checking my email, I noticed an email confirmation from Apple. Reading the email, I discovered that I was being sent a replacement charging cable - not a replacement shuffle! I called Apple "support" back and explained what happened. He said he would cancel the cable order, and that I had two repair options on the shuffle. First, I could drive 40+ miles to the nearest Apple store where I could return the item for repair, or second, I could ship the item back to them and they'd repair/replace it for a $29 "service fee." Now there's a great warranty set up - either I drive 80 miles round trip to maybe get it fixed, or pay a $29 fee to repair a $49 device that arrived defective! NOT. This was my first experience with Apple "support." There won't be another. I returned the device to Amazon - good riddance!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2012 11:57:47 PM PDT
This sounds like a nightmare. Thanks for sharing this. I was considering getting one of these, but I think I'll skip it. For all the big bucks Apple is making, they should have far better service than this, but that's the nature of big corporations these days: they don't care, once they have your money. Was the technician in this country, or in India? That's another thing I'm sick of: calling an American corporation for service and getting someone in India who you can't understand.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 5:54:24 AM PDT
Theophilus says:
Thanks for your comment. I can't argue with anything you say - unfortunately. As regards where the technician was, I really don't know, and, even if asked, I'm not certain they'd be honest with you. At least I could understand the technicians I talked with - that's not always the case, as you know.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 7:56:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 7:57:31 PM PDT
A review says:

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 11:00:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 10:06:02 PM PST
lolo says:
Sounds terrible. It appears you happened to experience a series of unlikely events.
I have had an iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano, and now this little guy, and apart from this shuffle, I have had problem with the some products over the years (mostly to my fault(broken screens, Stuck Buttons). However, I felt Apple was extremely helpful.
I find it strange that the technician suggested for you to fix it yourself. In the past, any sort of problem (both software and hardware with iPhone, iPod touch and iPod Nano), all I do is receive a code, take it to FedEx and that's it. I receive a new device within 3-5 days.
Another thing I find strange is the fact that thy charged you. I was never charged for anything and that is because I never purchased any warranty. I simply registered my device when I received it. That seemed to be enough. I have received a replacement iPhone (with all my info in it), my Nano with a button issue fixed, and a Touch with screen problems.
Sounds to me, like mentioned earlier, like a series of unlikely events.
Every iPod guy that's ever helped me has been nothing but polite, and extremely helpful. Also, I have never been charged a single dollar for anything.
My new shuffle has been working beautifully for weeks now. However, to be fair, I purchased it from Apple.com.

Perhaps the problem is Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 11:28:26 AM PDT
Theophilus says:
Maybe my experience wasn't typical, but it was certainly Apple. In fact the only bright spot was the Amazon reaction - they arranged for an immediate return at no cost and even immediately refunded my purchase price without requiring the returned device first. Amazon - 1; Apple - 0.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:23:14 PM PST
Sorry but I find your rant very hard to believe. I've owned several Apple products and never had a bad experience with them. Apple has always bent over backwards to repair products I have purchased from them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 3:46:24 AM PST
Theophilus says:
My "rant" is exactly as it happened. Maybe I was the exception - maybe you were, but it is what it is. These posts are for customer experiences. If you're going to characterize my experience as a "rant," perhaps we could characterize your's as something that probably came from an Apple employee.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 12:57:42 PM PST
Fred E says:
I felt the same way....sounds like rant.....and no I am not an apple employee. You could have just returned it to Amazon at no charge the moment you had a problem. You experience just shows lack of knowledge and experience with on-line shopping and technology.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:41:38 PM PST
Theophilus says:
Wrong on several counts. First, I suspect I've more online experience than you do. Second, I purchased it thru Amazon (as I stated in my original post, btw), and returned it to Amazon once I determined that Apple support was lousy. Amazon took it back without question and also refunded my money as soon as I said I was going to return it - not after they received the return.

To go a bit further, I've dealt with a number of companies online over purchases, and have never had as poor an experience as I did with Apple. Even third-rate retailers scored better in my book.

No, call it what you will, but my experience was as I stated. Indeed, the only reason I made the post in the first place was because of my shock and frustration at a company like Apple acting as it did.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 4:20:35 PM PST
Theophilus is not ranting; it's a very clear and calm recitation of facts and I certainly can appreciate that he/she was frustrated. I've heard of very similar situations and have been in similar situations at the Apple Stores with a relative. Frustrating doesn't even begin to define our experience. Not the same as tech support, I understand, but a bad "apple" can ruin the whole bunch. Disclaimer: I don't own any Apple products, but am considering buying my first. Neither do I know Theophilus, but I do think it's rude for other posters to use rather inflammatory terms like rant, when someone is pretty much just telling what their experience has been. I appreciate hearing all sides, but I don't much appreciate posters disputing other posters' experiences. Let's keep it civilized, respectful and on topic, if I may be so bold as to request such a thing.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›