The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Performer, July 14, 2012
This review is from: TomTom VIA 1605TM 6-Inch GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic & Maps (Electronics)
I bought it 3 weeks back from Costco - have driven over 2500 miles since then during holidays from Chicago to Ny and St Louis. Hence feel I am in a decent position now to provide feedback.

Usability - Initially it was a challenge as I was using Garmin earlier - hence was not used to Tom Tom interface - now I sort of like it. Typically like Zip code search, also good is it gives a zoomed out route picture before starting any route - which is helpful specifically in long routes.
One -ve point is - when you start the unit - sometimes it is sluggish - i.e. if you press a button on a screen - it takes time to respond.

Accuracy/Navigation - Found the unit pretty accurate - it can guide you pretty much out of a parking space as well. It identifies any route changes very quickly. Also finds satallite pretty quickly and easily. I was suprised when it was helping me to drive out of a covered parking garage in St. Louis. Never got any issue with maps in 2500 miles I have driven - except at an exit in St Louis - though I havent updated my map yet after purchase - so assume Tom Tom should have taken care of it. I didn't loose satellite anywhere even when driving under covered road in cities.

Traffic - I will give it 3.5 points - couple of times it has helped. Though sometimes - I was driving in city highway with heavy traffic and it had no clue about it. Not sure if this is a problem with service/refresh rate. I though like the reroute options - it paints the alternate route in blue color (rather then red color of current route) - helps to take decision very quickly. Also I guess since this is not Tom Tom HD Traffic - thats why refresh rates are lower. Though I like that it gives traffic updates not just of highways but of city roads as well. After Independence day Fireworks celebration - I was exiting out of a very busy route - it drove me out from there to a much better route in minutes. Further I like how it paints the busy road with white color and an animations of slow moving object.

Other features I like:
Dashboard Mount - it is excellent improvement over Garmin mount. Lock mechanism of suction cup is excellent.
Switch between 2D and 3D is easy
Speed Limit indicator
Lane Assist is great - though wish if they can add more of lane assist. This was not available at all junctions.
Like POI - host of options available

Dislike -
On long routes if next turn is over 20 miles specially on highways - it shows a 1/4 inch blue horizontal bar on upper part of the screen (mimic blue sky I guess) - it was better if it would have shown map only in entire screen.

Why I will buy this model.
Accuracy/Navigation - Does what it is meant to do pretty accurately
6" Screen
Dashboard Mount.
Found no quirks

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 12, 2014 9:32:45 AM PDT
Hello Vicky,

Thank you for the highly detailed review. At TomTom, these reviews provide incredibly useful feedback to our internal teams, and to other Amazon.com consumers seeking information on navigation.

As we launch new product lines, we look to engage users of our devices in a more direct conversation to help drive future product innovation and improvements. Based on your comprehensive review, we'd like to invite you to participate in this initiative. If you're interested in learning more, please email us at inbox.reviews@tomtom.com - so we can share more details. We look forward to your response!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2014 5:12:45 PM PST
J. Hupp says:
How does it get the traffic information?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2014 2:22:23 PM PST
Indian Wells says:
The power adapter to charge the unit from a usb / cig plug contains an AM band radio, tuned to the traffic band. The traffic broadcast is stripped from the incoming signal and send via usb/charger cable into the tomtom usb port where it is processed.
When your thinking the unit has missed a traffic alert likely the alert was never transmitted on the am band too begin with. The relevancy of the reports depend on the local AM traffic band. You can pick up the same traffic info if you just tune your car's AM radio to the traffic band.

A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Posted on Mar 12, 2014 9:32:45 AM PDT
Hello Vicky,

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 8:07:21 PM PDT
lenkf says:
same review verbatim on several tom tom models. reviewers are supposed to specify product and model

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 11:01:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2014 11:11:49 AM PDT
Carlos says:
I have a TomTom VIA 1605TM GPS, I acquired by Amazon, features and video looked really good, but for a beginner in this GPS because I'm a little discouraged when I did the whole process online activation tomtom, I realize that Venezuela map of my country, where I live is not available. I thought that these teams work as a matter of power and satellite were prepared to give details, but the location is not.
My question: Is there any way that I can put the map of my country Venezuela to my GPS and not lose my investment?
Thanking prompt response: Carlos

Posted on Jul 19, 2014 10:24:21 PM PDT
I'll never buy (big never) a product that is reviewed by someone who gets something for free from the manufacturer. I can find shills on craigslist if that is what I want.

Once you accept something for free from the manufacturer, there is zero credibility. Agree or not, I vote with my money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2015 9:59:14 PM PST
R. Barton says:
That's not the reviewers fault, but Amazon's. This was brought out on some highly debated reviews on a Sony 4K TV I reviewed on. It seems Amazon lumps many of the same type of models together. Example, I and others strictly reviewed the exact 4K 65" model we had, but the reviews where all merged with all the similar 4K Sony's that where out. Other bloggers like you said why are we reviewing on a model that we don't have and not on the 'Right' model #. We had to explain to them that we did just that, but Amazon merges them all together. Peace.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (821 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $87.74