2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid Toshiba computers, April 13, 2012
This review is from: Toshiba Portégé R835-P94 13.3-Inch Laptop (Magnesium Blue) (Personal Computers)
Update as of May, 2015. The thing is about shot. Very disappointed with service life. Crashes frequently. DVD player no longer works. Next computer will not be a Toshiba.

Update as of Dec/2012- I am not as happy as I was with this purchase, but still consider it to be a good value in this product area.

Reasons for lowering my initial review:

1. Fan runs almost continuously. This has gotten to be an area of huge annoyance for me. I havent really tracked this from the beginning, but one day a few months back I was working and noticed the fan never really stopped. Now, of course I notice it all the time. Had I known this was going to happen, I probably wouldnt have bought this computer.

2. Battery life has dropped significantly over time. I would say it's down 40% from when I first started using it.

Bottom-line- if you are really using the computer to work,like I do, you might keep on looking, and the fan noise will drive you nuts eventually.

Do still love the low weight though!

Update as of 04/20/2012- still extremely pleased with this computer. The Bluetooth was really easy to install and found my cell phone the first time (I have had trouble with other computers). Bluetoothed serveral pix and found the transfer was faster than normal.

I have had this computer for a week now. So far I am really happy. It is very light (I have to carry two LT's)and it fits well in my backpack. The battery life is excellent. I have used it on battery for about 5 hours and it was down to about 1/3 charge when I plugged in.

I also liked the fact I could delete some of the factory installed software-completely. I get sick of all the pop-ups begging you to activate their software. I have had computers where this was impossible (for the average user) and had to live with these popups.

There is not a lot else to say. I am a 'light" computer user (no gaming, or high tech uses) The applications I do run (MS) open quickly so, plenty of memory (4-GB) and the 640 GB hard drive will store all my picures and videos. As I said, I travel a lot and take pix and videos as mementos.

I recommend this PC to anybody who travels a lot and needs a personal PC to take with them. It is an excellent value for money!

One note- if you get one, also buy a padded sleeve to protect it. Being so thin means it is fairly fragile and evidently (reading other reviews Toshiba is pretty firm on their 'damage' policy- if you break the screen you might as well throw this one away as the screen replacement will cost as much as new computer. just take care of it and you shouldnt have any trouble)

Good luck!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2012 8:14:50 AM PDT
Paul P says:
Could you please tell me which program that we can uninstall safely and how to do that? Thank you very much

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 4:23:36 AM PDT
Paul, this computer, as do most, comes installed with Norton Anti-virus software. I have had horrific experience with Norton- taking over the computer, not allowing me to visit commerical sites, constant sales bombardment for upgrades, popups begging me to purchase a license that as soon as you close, reopen making the computer almost useless. When I tried to delete on a Dell I was not allowed to do so as I did not have 'Administrator' priveledges. On the Toshiba, I went to the root directory and wiped out all trace of Norton. It was easy and my computer user life has never been better.

On a broader note. I find pre-installed computer security software to be a joke. McAfee, Norton, Trend, etc do nothing to protect you against malware or viruses and want $30-50 a month to give you a false sense of security and make your user life hell.

Look around there are a number of free security programs that will alert you to any phishing, or registry change attempts. Get a couple of them. One site for DL them is CNET. I am using Spybot as my primary security program and have had no trouble. Good luck with your new computer. Cheers. DCM.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 4:34:11 AM PDT
Paul, I neglected to answer your question on how to delelte a program. It is fairly simple (or I couldnt do it)

1. At the Start menu go to 'Settings'
2. Click on 'Control Panel'
3. Click on the 'Add/remove programs' icon
4. Follow the steps...

This shouldnt take more than five (5) minutes. Good luck!

Posted on May 29, 2012 11:04:48 AM PDT
Paul P says:
Hi DCM, thank you very much for your suggestion.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›