4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting sequel but we still need another!, August 23, 2004
This review is from: Messenger (Giver Quartet) (Hardcover)
I gave this four stars because I did read it in one session, despite my being exhausted-- Lowry sure knows how to pace a story and set up a world. Some thoughts:

1) It does help to have read the Giver and Gathering Blue. If you have, some of the offhand references have a lot more power. It's wonderful to meet up with Jonas (here called Leader) and Kira again, and see that their worlds coexisted. It's also increasingly clear that this is definitely our own world in the future, for not only do they share some place names (in Gathering Blue) but there are references to Moby Dick and to Shakespeare. So it's not "like" Earth, it is Earth.

2) A society defined by how inclusive it is of outsiders is a great idea! so it was nice to make that a defining issue, since if you've read The Giver, you know firsthand how it is that people have a place to go.

3) But there are a lot of loopholes. If it is our world, how did it become so full of magic? The forest has a spirit all its own. This is an issue in the previous two books but it seems larger here. And:

a. who is the mysterious Trade Master? What's in this for him? Why is Trade bad, but market day not... do they have a currency they were using?

b. what has happened to the old society of Jonas'-- we know he got books... but I wanted to know more. it seems odd that he thinks about his sister, but not his brother. Unless his brother is referred to somewhere in the book by a True Name and I just missed it-- where the heck is Gabe?

These questions leave you wanting yet one more sequel! and that's all right with me, because I'm a fan of Lowry's-- may she go on writing these!

Raises some interesting philosophical questions, like the previous two, so I imagine it would be a good one to read with kids (I'm an adult).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 9, 2008 12:45:40 PM PDT
Ptoras says:
The book says on page 17 that "Mentor, the schoolteacher, gently tutored a mischievous eight-year-old named Gabe, who had neglected his studies to play and now needed help." So maybe Gabe is mentioned here, though very briefly.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 11:14:50 AM PDT
Good review. I wondered about the Trade Master also. Reminded me of the bad guy in Needful Things. ;)

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 5:21:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2012 5:33:47 PM PDT
LaNae says:
I wondered the same thing and came here in hopes of finding the book that "follows" this one! Left me wanting more for sure!
UPDATE: so, took me a whole like 30 minutes to find out - there WILL in fact be a 4th book! It's called "Son", and it will be coming out October 2nd, I believe. You can pre-order it from amazon. :)

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 10:41:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2012 10:42:39 AM PDT
Jay says:
Can somebody help me? What is the order of the books in this trilogy?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 11:02:42 AM PDT
LaNae says:
The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger. Then Son will come out Oct 2nd.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 11:04:25 AM PDT
Jay says:
Thanks for the quick reply. Glad I read it in the correct order :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 11:18:41 AM PDT
Ellen W. says:
I'm reading "Son" right now for Amazon Vine. I'll let you know when I'm finished and I've posted my review. Liking it so far, though.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 9:15:42 AM PDT
Cady Rombach says:
You'll recall that Gabe is not actually Jonas's brother. In "The Giver," society permits each "family" only one boy and one girl. Gabe is the developmentally delayed infant who Jonas's father brings home to nurture until the baby meets requirements for the naming ceremony. Jonas steals away with Gabe in the middle of the night only after learning the now toddler will be "released" in the morning. Lois Lowry reveals the fate of the two boys in "Son."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (430 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01