4.0 out of 5 stars The good doctors don't give the complete story --- plus contradictions, November 10, 2012
This review is from: The Great Cholesterol Myth: Why Lowering Your Cholesterol Won't Prevent Heart Disease-and the Statin-Free Plan That Will (Paperback)
I won't write a lengthy review because others have done that, some quite effectively. Let me just point out a few thoughts about this book. First, I agree that statins are horrible and needless. I was already sold on that. But when we get to the interesting section about the supplements, I found myself confused. Why, if cholesterol is indeed a good thing, a necessary thing, did the authors tell us about supplements to lower cholesterol? Did they only want middle aged men who had already had a heart attack to take the supplements? Or, did they want us all to take them to lower certain aspects of the LDL? Or, do they really think that, yes, it should indeed be lower? I don't know. I'd like to know.

Moreover, they didn't warn readers that if they're already taking medication - say for blood pressure as an example --- that some supplements like fish oil and other omega threes, should be avoided or taken with caution or that you should discuss it with your doctor. Why? Because they really do lower blood pressure. In fact, a number of the supplements recommended can and very often do lower blood pressure. You certainly do not want your blood pressure to go too low.

The authors also talked about coconut oil a great deal and the reader was left thinking it is recommended. However, in the recommended list of foods to eat, it was not mentioned. Only olive oil was. And, the authors said canola oil is just plain toxic. I won't argue about this but I've seen no real scientific data to back it.

The authors seem to contradict themselves in many important ways.

I had already read most of this material about statins and big pharma and totally agree with it. The drug companies have done great harm to us all and doctors, who should know better than prescribe this stuff, do not know better.

It's a good read. But just be a smart consumer of the information given.

-- Susanna K. Hutcheson

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2012 9:55:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 10:42:30 AM PST
Edward Terry says:
An interesting paper on the effects of different oils is "Influence of Sources of Dietary Oils on the Life Span of Stroke-Prone Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats" by Ratnayake WMN, 2000, Lipids

Canola Oil shortened life span the most and coconut oil the least. The authors speculate that the phytosterols in canola oil become incorporated into the red blood cell membranes, resulting in more fragile red blood cells.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 2:22:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 2:31:15 PM PST
garzascreek says:
Susanna, nice catch. Shows careful reading. It should have been caught by a credible editor but the publisher is not first tier. But if that is the most serious problem you found I will definitely be getting it. I am already in that camp but wanted a book I can pass around.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:30:24 PM PST
HMM says:
Responsibility of the editor...
--- this type failure is nothing new to anyone who reads this type of book.

Irritating but not serious...in terms of the overall issue.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 12:41:25 PM PST
Sarah says:
Susanna, Thank you for your helpfull review. I will be purchasing this book. Knowing what you said in advance is a big help to me because it would have bothered me when I got to parts you mentioned.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 4:19:30 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 19, 2013 4:23:51 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 4:57:48 PM PST
Susanna

I found the book a fantastic read, but these issues made me question the validity of the information in the book. The contradictions just go round and round, and so I wonder what is right of the things they had to say.
---------------
The authors seem to contradict themselves in many important ways.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 1:29:06 PM PST
T. Turner says:
What I got from this book was that it is important to know what "kind" of LDL/HDL cholesterol you have...dense vs. fluffy and that the supplements recommended would reduce cholesterol and could actually convert the bad kind (dense) into good (fluffy) and help you perhaps go from a pattern B profile (not so good) to a pattern A (good). I didn't feel it was the least bit misleading...

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2013 6:13:23 PM PDT
M. Nelson says:
Cholesterol is one of the most important substances in our bodies in spite of the bad rap they get. We could not live without it.

Please do your own research on this if you are unsure.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›