5.0 out of 5 stars The day the CW killed Veronica Mars (no spoilers), May 17, 2007
This review is from: Veronica Mars: Season 3 (DVD)
Today the CW officially cancelled the best show on television (understandably, some would say, due to abysmally low ratings). There lingers a chance that the series might be revitalized in a different form, but the hammer has officially fallen. Veronica Mars is unceremoniously over.

Season 3 was the first (and last) season of the show to air on the fledgling CW network. It took a different approach to storytelling than seasons 1 and 2, featuring two separate mystery arcs and a number of one-episode mysteries, rather the season-long affairs for which the show had become known and loved. Despite the change, season 3 works as excellent, intriguing television. The writing is witty and the acting in sharp, as before.

The creator of the show, Rob Thomas, once heard the series described as "Chinatown meets Heathers." That's a perfect description. I would say it also owes heavily to Twin Peaks. Chinatown happens to be my all-time favorite movie. I'm a noir junky, and V-Mars serves it up in lusty, lipsticked, smoke-tinted glory with every episode. Many people are turned off by the concept of a high school/college girl solving mysteries. And they should be. As a premise, this show would easily fail in the hands of most producers. But Thomas and co-writers have created something magical and perfect here. The heroine Veronica is sarcastic, at times mean, overly hard-boiled, and full of acerbic wit. There's nothing candy-coated about Veronica. First time viewers often disregard the show as "another teen drama," and for this reason more than any other it failed to attract a sustaining audience. I urge you to give it a chance. Especially if you have a sarcastic mind, if you've lost faith in the basically good nature of humanity, if noir interests you, or if you just like an intelligent mystery or exceptionally well-acted drama, this may be what you're looking for. It was for me.

Admittedly, I watch very little television, but to put things in perspective this is a short list of the TV shows I've watched and loved over the years: Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Freaks and Geeks, Deadwood, and Wonderfalls. I would place Veronica Mars at the top of this delightful heap. (Actually, looking at that list, every show was cancelled before its time save BSG which is still on the air. Maybe that says something. Maybe not.) Recently, my wife and I started re-watching season 1 and 2 of Veronica Mars with a friend. His comment after one episode was this, "This show shouldn't be on television. It's too... challenging, too beautiful." I couldn't have said it any better. Unfortunately, our friend was right in the end. V-Mars was too challenging, too beautiful. And now it's gone.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 15, 2007 6:44:37 AM PDT
A Jordan says:
You couldn't have said it better, friend.

Posted on Jun 28, 2007 5:35:45 PM PDT
Luis Bahena says:
I agree... And because of this review, I know I'll be buying the show once it comes out... That, And I'll be looking into Freaks and Geeks, and maybe even Battle Star Gallactica... I already own Firefly and Serenity! Lol!

Posted on Jun 29, 2007 10:54:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2007 10:55:21 AM PDT
Steph says:
Just buy Season 1 and 2. Season 3 was a huge disappointment and I would suggest renting it before you spend your hard earned money.

Battlestar Galactica is definately worth the time and money. The third season has some shaky standalone episodes, but the last few are worth it.

Posted on Jun 29, 2007 10:51:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2007 10:39:29 PM PDT
J.M says:
Im going to date myself here,but i always thought of her as nancy drew.It was a show on in the 70's.I think it is a good thing the show was canceled.It was becoming a little stale.Better to go out on a high note.Plus did you really want to see her dad go to jail.

Posted on Aug 26, 2007 5:55:23 PM PDT
P. Lanier says:
VM was tremendous. I'm not a TV watcher, but I do buy DVD box sets when I'm convinced I'd love it. Your list of shows are all awesome. They all have good story arcs, great character development, and razor sharp writing. Try also Arrested Development, Undeclared, and Buffy and Angel.

Posted on Sep 14, 2007 1:03:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 14, 2007 1:07:07 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 14, 2007 1:07:50 AM PDT
Darcey Kyle says:
Please. Veronica Mars had to be the best show shown for teenagers in a long time. It actually made you think and still added in a little love drama for the girly-girly girls. (Which I am not but I still can't imagine not knowing what happened with her and Logan considering I am totally in love with Logan and his sarcastic smart-a** ways.)

How could anyone not fall head over heels for a cute, randomly sarcastic blond that would gladly taser your butt without a second thought? I know I'd have to since I obviously already did. Teenagers do not have any detective shows worth anything now that they are dropping this. What do we have left? Reality TV which isn't even reality at all?

Someone with any power, please buy this show and play it on a different channel. It's the only thing different than the rest of the fluff.

I would also like to say that amazon made me rephrase most of this and take out my criticism of the network.

Posted on Sep 18, 2007 9:42:14 PM PDT
Mary E. Neal says:
I don't think you could have said it a better way. Veronica Mars was everything you said. Absolutely wonderful.

Posted on Sep 22, 2007 7:46:27 AM PDT
V. M. Silva says:
I agree with every word you said. I just purchased the first season of the show and am planning to buy the other two in the months to follow. It will be great to have every episode of one of the best shows ever in the history television. It's a shame most people nowadays seem to prefer televisioned entertainment that gives no credit to the viewers intelligence whatsoever (otherwise shows like America's Next Top Model, Big Brother and American Idol would be cancelled instead). Even though I didn't watch most of the episodes of season three, I still thought it was great. Veronica Mars is gonna be sadly missed by its huge and loyal fanbase.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2007 7:29:35 AM PDT
B. Landry says:
Did Amazon really make you take out your criticism of the network? Wow!

What about a little free speech here? All these DVD sales are sure helping the CW...they will be happy...hopefully they feel a little sting for unfairly cancelling this amazing show.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (1,895 customer reviews)
 (1,414)