3.0 out of 5 stars Why make a disc version if you have to install Steam anyway?, October 10, 2012
This review is from: Alan Wake (CD-ROM)
I waited forever to buy this game because I wanted to buy the version that had the game on a disc, but the game isn't on the disc. Immediately I find that in order to install it I have to accept Steam's user agreement, download Steam's software, then download the game and use it through them! Why in the world would the publishers even make a disc version? Kiiinda defeats the idea of buying a physical copy, you know? I guess this affords me the opportunity to re-sell it, but given the fact that prices for PC games plummet quickly anyway, this seems a moot benefit.

I rarely buy PC games, and this will probably be the last time I do. I like to feel like I actually own the product I buy, and therefore do not like using Steam because it feels like Steam owns it and I am merely borrowing it whenever I can log onto their site and am then allowed to play the game.

I know my stance is old school and is disappearing, but I just hate being the victim of a bait-and-switch. I hope this helps someone else that feels the same and wanted to buy this.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 24, 2012 8:57:16 AM PDT
GamePlayer says:
Basically good for not having to download the entire game off Steam. You have a good Hard copy of it.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 11:20:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 12:55:39 PM PST
H. Le says:
In line with what GamePlayer said, installing from from the disc is much faster than installing from Steam. In addition, for collectors like myself, it's nice to have a physical case and disc to add to my game collection.

However, I agree with you on the ownership issue. Nowadays, the primary purpose of DRM is to restrict resale and gifting -- And Steam DRM basically took away some of your rights along with the control of your gaming experience. Steam does have some good features to compensate for its restriction; however, for those who don't need these features and would rather own their games, the features can be pointless.

If you still want to buy PC games, for future reference, it is always a good idea to do a DRM research before buying - and the Amazon disccusion thread of the product and reclaimyourgame.com are some of the good places to start.

PS. For those who dislike DRM, this game is available on GOG.com DRM-free.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:26:41 PM PST
John Marquez says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 10:54:04 AM PST
James says:
Your point is inane. Since you seem to be the "smart one," can you tell me, which would be faster? Ordering this hard copy on Amazon and waiting two days to be delivered, then going through the process you described when I get it, or buying it instantly off of Steam and then downloading it right then and there?

Mr. Marquez, it seems clear by your post's combination of rudeness and lack of intelligent argument that you're still a high school student, one who likes to go on to reviews and just insult people to make yourself feel a little bit better. Or maybe you just stopped growing cognitively and emotionally at that developmental stage. I hope you address this, or at the very least never bother me again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 2:05:33 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 25, 2013 5:40:39 AM PST]

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 4:24:13 AM PDT
I agree with you about ownership of the games and the nature of DRM. Sadly, I think you're right about it being "old school", since the market has spoken. I have games from the 8-bit days that I still play: Will Steam still let me play games I've purchased 10 years from now, much less later than that? I can only guess.

For what it's worth, there are some nice products from independent PC game makers (DRM-free), who often provide executables for multiple platforms and sometimes with the game soundtrack as a bonus.

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 4:54:35 AM PDT
J. Kelly says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2013 3:18:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2013 1:11:24 PM PDT
KnyteOwl says:
James-
Your point about having to wait while the hard copy ships is only valid if you purchased from an online retailer like amazon. If however, you purchased your hard copy right of the shelf at Wal-Mart like I did, your argument goes up in smoke. The previous commenters have valid points; the install time is much faster from a hard copy than from Steam servers even on the fastest broadband internet packages available, and for many customers, that single advantage alone is more than enough to justify the purchase of a hard copy.

For what it's worth, I happen to agree with you about ownership rights, and the nature of DRM, but you said that after your experience with this game and Steam, you're ready to turn your back on PC gaming all together. Well that's your decision, and you're certainly entitled to do that, but you should know that you're doing it for nothing because you're no better off with console games. The value of your game plummets as soon as you purchase it, and take it out of the cellophane regardless of what platform you play on. While it's true that retailers like Gamestop allow you to trade in console games, it is an extremely lop-sided, and unfair trade system where even recently released games are worth only a fraction in trade value what the customer pays for a new copy at, or shortly after launch. Even when trading in a new release game less than two months old, you typically have to trade 3 or 4 games to have trade credit equivalent to even a value title, you are still sacrificing all the inherent advantages PC games offer, and since PC gaming hardware has been far more advanced than console hardware since the end of the 16 bit era, you're settling for a game experience which is almost always inferior to what you could have with a PC version of the game even on an entry level gaming computer. Mark my words, intellectual property rights trumps just about everything within the publishing industries, and given that the cost of game production has risen to unprecedented levels in recent years, they are more determined than ever to stamp out trading/lending/gifting, as well as the secondhand market. My money says it's only a matter of time before console manufacturers begin restricting the play of used games. This is nothing short of a thinly veiled effort to get around the First Sale Doctrine, and get books/movies/music/games down to a pay-per-view/play/listen/read system, and it isn't happening strictly to PC games on the gaming front. Rumors are already circulating that MS is going to implement a system to restrict the play of used games on their new X-Box One, and it's probably a small miracle that they (and all console manufacturers) haven't attempted it before now. In the bigger picture, IF the rumors prove true, and the X-Box One is a success regardless, then faced with irrefutable proof of the money they stand to make with the secondhand market wiped out, and gamers having proven willing to forgive it, Sony and Nintendo will follow their example promptly. So if you want to deprive yourself of a superior game experience in the name of ideology, and "standing your ground", go right ahead, but you're deluding yourself if you think you're coming out any better off with console games.

J. Kelly--
Hope it doesn't come as a news flash, but you are HILLARIOUSLY wrong. In today's age of mergers and buyouts, there isn't an assurance in the world that Valve won't be bought out by, or merged into some larger company, and Steam shut down tomorrow. This time 12 years ago, flushed with the success of critically acclaimed, mega hit franchises like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Descent, Nostrodamus couldn't have predicted Interplay would be belly up within the next two years, but where are they now? You can call my argument theoretical or hypothetical all you want, but if the scenario I just described came true, every game you've purchased on Steam, and every hard copy game requiring Steam to run is irretrievably, and eternally lost. You might as well have tossed your money into your fireplace. However unlikely you may think a scenario like this may be, nothing lasts forever, and these are FACTS! At the end of the day, neither Valve nor anyone else can offer you any assurance whatsoever that the scenario I described couldn't, or WON'T come true tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2013 12:05:42 PM PDT
Nostromo says:
Well , I hate STEAM too !! It's like you have no choice but to play by their rules or not play at all because there is no other option . I know the guy who had some virus in his gmail account so he can't go to it and in the same time he can't play his games . I told him to create new email account but like he says he will lose all games he bought by STEAM and of course he doesn't want to do this . So here he is , having games he can't play because of his broken email account and all he can do now is wait to fix it or buy the same games again creating new password a new account for STEAM . I hate this thing !! I know that world is going further but it doesn't mean , that we as a customers can't have a cjoice anymore !! Buy it in this way or forget about it ! What the heck is this ?? I want to have choice !! Maybe few million people love it but there are some people who doesn't and I hate to be force to love it too BECAUSE this is what SOMEBODY tells me to do .
This is not right !! And I don't really care what will happen in 2019 or 2020 , I want to have a choice to decide myself what kind of game I'm buying now , today , and how I intend to play it without somebody telling me that this is what I HAVE to do !!!! And that's why I don't buy anything what needs to be download by STEAM . Sorry , but they will not make money from me .Period !

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 4:28:40 PM PDT
Peter Hailes says:
If you try and install it incorrectly steam will download it instead - it will do this with lots of games - look up the proper procedure for installing steam games from disk. (this isn't always intuitive and I don't blame you for not knowing, its a poorly implemented section of steam).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (27 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $40.10