ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful watch... One (possibly) major flaw..., December 15, 2008
This review is from: Citizen Men's JY0040-59L "Blue Angels Skyhawk A-T" Stainless Steel Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
I compared this Blue Angels version with the Black/Orange version of this Skyhawk model and liked the blue/yellow tones much better. So I bought it.

However, Citizen decided to make a change in one of the more important controls between the two variations, the Crown. On the other version, the crown is knurled. Therefore, it's easier to get a grip on it to pull it out as needed. You need to pull the crown out one stop to change to any of the other modes. If you spend good money for something with all these features, you will figure on using them.

The crown on the Blue Angels version, albeit nice and sleek, is smooth around it's circumference. When it's on your wrist, you either need a very long (and curved) fingernail to pull the crown from underneath, or you need to remove it from your wrist first. The only point where you can "catch" the crown to pull it is underneath and at the base of the crown. The top side of the case covers the bevel at the base of the crown.

Sure, you can leave extra links in the band and "maybe" be able to get underneath the crown to use it while wearing it, but the watch will be spinning all around your wrists during the day.

Now, I don't know if frail fingers would do better operating this. Just roughly gauging the human physique, and proportions of the extremities, only someone with large enough arms/wrists would even feel comfortable wearing a watch this size and weight for any period of time. Therefore, I would expect those who can wear it to have larger diameter fingers compared to the rest of the populace. Those larger fingers just cannot get under the crown very easily to activate it.

I like the watch's features, but I'm afraid I might have to return it. I will be using the alarms and chronograph quite frequently and having to remove the watch each time I want to do something with it simply will not do. Especially for the price it sells for.

I might like the black/orange version if I give it a chance. That has the knurled knob. Or, I might just trade it in for a Citizen Promaster SST instead.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2008 1:08:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2008 2:06:45 AM PST
I love this watch just for its looks alone. I really don't care if it is inconvenient to operate the crown. I am the proud owner of two Citizen JY0040-59L Skyhawk "Blue Angels" pilot watches. I believe the other model you were refering to is the JY0000-53E Skyhawk model - the black/orange version. I have four JY0000-53E's. The JY0000-53E is a magnificent wristwatch. I didn't buy my Citizen JY0040-59L's (and JY0000-53E's) for the purpose of timekeeping...I collect pilot watches. Both watches are great for their beauty and complications. My watches are in pristine condition, and I am going to keep them that way.

I commend Citizen for the ability to fuse beauty and advanced technology in their watches. I am very impressed by the JY0040-59L and the JY0000-53E. The watches will run forever on solar energy, therefore you never have to worry about changing a battery every 2-3 years.

Relayer, it's too bad you don't appreciate the JY0040-59L the way I do. If you returned your watch, I hope you found the one that's right for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008 10:30:06 AM PST
Relayer says:
I know it wasn't made completely clear, except for in my review title, but I really liked the Blue Angels watch. It's just that I am unable to use the functions on a regular basis due to the crown issues. There was no other way for me to get around that. I simply had to take it off every time (risking a good drop to the floor) to use timers and alarms. I even asked Citizen directly about it, but they wanted me to send the watch in just to see if they can change the crown. It would have been all on my "dime" and I felt it wasn't worth the effort.

I eventually went with my second favorite choice, The Citizen Promaster SST. The racing inspired look was nice. Not as nice as the Blue Angels watch, but function changes and operations were much easier.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2009 7:54:52 AM PST
PaulN says:
I think the review is very good and the points made about the crown are absolutely valid. I have the JY0010-50E and the knurled crown is very practical on it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›