Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars Finest USB headset I have ever used., April 24, 2009
This review is from: Logitech G35 7.1-Channel Surround Sound Gaming Headset (Personal Computers)
Logitech's G35 really sets a mark for gaming headsets. Other surround sound headsets that I have used have been large and uncomfortable after sustained use, however the G35 has an adjustable headband and comes with three different cushions for whatever shape head you may have. The cups are padded rather nicely and do a pretty decent job of blocking out ambient sound. The USB cord is sleeved and the whole thing really feels well crafted. Features like the microphone automuting when you put it in the upright position make you wonder why this hasn't been done with every headset on the market.

The software is simple and easy to use, however i found it somewhat limited. The only balance controls are for bass and treble, with no presets or anything like that for types of music. There is no control over the surround sound to balance your own levels or test it; the only thing you can do is turn the surround sound on and off using the manual switch on the back of the left cup. The customizable buttons are a great concept and comes with custom actions for programs like Itunes, Windows Media Player and Ventrilo, however it lacks Teamspeak support. The voice morphing is fun, but superfluous. For the price of this headset I would like a little bit more technical features and control over the sound. Note: the program uses 19MB of memory when you are using the headset, but on my laptop (Intel core 2 duo 2.2ghz, 2 gigs of ram) I haven't noticed a performance decrease.

The sound quality is superb for a USB headset. It doesn't sound as good as my Creative X-Fi sound card, but it definitely gets the job done. I haven't heard any distortions or crackling while gaming, and the directionality of the sound is very distinct and enhances gaming for sure. The low end is undistorted and you can actually feel explosions and things of the sort. The microphone records crisp and clear, and while the microphone is advertised as noise canceling, it occasionally picks up some background noise.

130$ is a lot for a headset, but these things deliver. I'd prefer some more control over the more technical aspects of the sound, but I am satisfied and have enjoyed using this device. If money isn't an object, go ahead and pick yourself up a pair.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 24, 2009 4:50:18 PM PDT
MB says:
Assuming you would have full control over the sound [which I suspect to happen anyway with software updates], what gaming headphones would you prefer over these? Are these the best out there? I mean I'm just trying to find some justification for the dropped star. What headphones did you use with your creative x-fi's? I mean those are expensive, I'd rather just buy some awesome USB simulated surround sound headsets like these

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2009 9:25:28 PM PDT
Xenoaroe says:
For USB this is the best I've experienced. The dropped star is for a lack of meaningful features in the software. An equalizer with more controls than bass and treble as well as options like fade, and individual balance controls for each channel would have made me give the G35 five stars. With my Creative sound blaster X-Fi I am using a 5.1 logitech surround speaker set.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2009 1:21:19 PM PDT
Chad Jacob says:
X-Fi can't compete with the Z-5500 though.

Thanks for putting the review up! I'm looking forward to getting my pair :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2009 2:18:16 PM PDT
Xenoaroe says:
No problem. I got mine a little earlier because I ordered them direct from Logitech, and when no one had reviewed them yet, I decided to go ahead and take a crack at it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2009 5:57:00 PM PDT
MB says:
Oh okay, I can see where your coming from, but I guess they can always come out with a software update right? I'm gonna have to pick these up when the price drops... A little too much for my pocket at this point... What other headsets have you used that you can compare these too?

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2009 4:47:43 PM PDT
Benlee Paul says:
X-Fi is a soundcard, while Z-5500 are speakers. That's not a logical comparison.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2009 12:22:51 PM PDT
Chad Jacob says:
Actually it is a logical comparison, the Z-5500 takes the digital signal which is the source original signal that the X-fi merely converts as best it can to analog to output to analog speakers or a headset. So therefore the X-fi cannot compare in sound quality that it puts out in comparison to the Z-5500 which plays the direct uncompressed unaltered source.

Digital is always better than analog on a computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2009 10:03:54 PM PDT
Man, I feel for you, Michael. That's a great review, and an excellent discussion with Mamoon and CJ, but I have no idea why you get so many thumbs down on the comments!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2009 9:51:00 AM PST
Paulmeister says:
how did you write your review when I keep getting "We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site" when trying to initiate a review for the G35?

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 4:57:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 4:59:40 AM PST
Rdritchey14 says:
2.2 ghz ... psh you don't game....haha..
no but really this thing is just too branded. more for looks and simplicity... for a person like you no offense(rig); not for the enthusiast gamers or listeners and certainly not for anyone who wants something worth their money. on sale would be the only time it should be considered.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›