5.0 out of 5 stars I guess I am a Mac after all..., December 9, 2011
This review is from: Apple MacBook Pro MD313LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
I recently made the switch from PC to Mac, and I can say that I'm not sure why I waited so long. Considering that I have only had my computer a few weeks I can't say much about the durability and longevity of the hardware, but I can say that the operating system (mine shipped with Lion) and software is top notch.

I labored for a long time trying to decide whether the 13" MacBook Pro (MBP) or MacBook Air was the right choice for me. I liked the form factor, screen resolution and weight of the Air, but couldn't get comfortable with the comparatively small hard drive and the RAM fixed at 4GB. Considering these factors along with the significant price premium for an Air, I decided that the MBP was right for me.

I also thought long and hard about whether to go with the base model with the 2.4Ghz i5 processor and 500 GB HDD or the 2.8Ghz i7 processor with the 750GB HDD. after looking at reviews and benchmark tests I decided that for my uses, the less expensive model would be perfect and that the incremental added performance of the more expensive model is not worth the additional cost. When large solid state drives become more affordable I will probably switch my HDD out, but until then 500GB should provide plenty of storage.

I opted to get my computer locally, but purchased the Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 Memory Module (CT2KIT51264BC1339) from Amazon for a great price. Once I got my computer home I installed the RAM in 10 minutes, start to finish. If you are planning this upgrade just be sure that you have the right Phillips head screwdriver.

After using this computer for the past few weeks and carrying it on weekly business trips I am very pleased with my choice of computers. It handles the Microsoft office suite flawlessly, and the added ram allows me to open and view very large pdf files without any lag. I have done minor video and photo editing on this computer and it performed very well. The added weight compared to the
Air hasn't proven to be too noticeable, but I am a big guy at 6'4" and 210 pounds.

So far I am pleased with this computer and my Mac experience overall. The process of learning a new OS and overall user interface was daunting at first, but Apple has done a great job creating a system that is intuitive and easy to learn.

I would recommend this computer to anyone looking for a new laptop that they expect to have for awhile and would like to be able to customize to fit their needs.

UPDATE 5/29/12: I have been using my MBP for six months now and couldn't be happier with it. I may have been lucky enough to get a great unit, but during the time that I have owned my MBP I have NEVER needed to contact technical support. I use my Mac for my primary business computer every day and have traveled extensively with it.

Aside from its performance and reliability the feature that I like most about my Mac is the multi-touch trackpad. By using gestures on the trackpad I can be very efficient, and I'm not sure that I will ever be able to go back to a regular mouse or trackball.

One addition that I made was to get the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter MB570Z/A to attach a second monitor when I'm at the office. This allows me to use both my MBP monitor and an external, which provides me with much more area when using Excel or other programs and also allows me to keep my mailbox visible when working on other things.

Considering how pleased I am with my Mac, I have a feeling that I will be buying a lot more Apple products in the future.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2011 5:14:31 PM PST
Steelers Fan says:
Great review!
Crucial says this model will handle 16 G of ram, but the upgrade kit is still a little expensive. Some benchmark testing I've seen online indicates the computer is even faster with 16 G than it is with 8 G. I hope the upgrade kit price falls; I'd like to upgrade.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 12:06:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 1, 2013 2:55:44 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 7:24:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2012 7:30:13 AM PDT
H. A. says:
There are a series of very small screws on the bottom of the MBP that can be removed to open the case. At that point the process of removing the RAM is extremely easy, you just pull a couple of levers open and the old RAM pops out. You then insert the new RAM in the slots and push down to seat it.

The process is extremely fast and easy, and does not void the warranty. You can find countless videos that show you how to do it on the internet. The two most important things are to get the right size screwdriver which is a #00 and can be found here: Wera Kraftform ESD 1550 PH Percision Screwdriver, Phillips PH 00 Head and that you note which screws come out of which holes, as there are a couple of different sizes.

Posted on May 2, 2012 2:03:52 PM PDT
Thanks for a great review.

Posted on May 28, 2012 4:29:12 PM PDT
Thanks for this excellent review. It helped me decide to change from a PC to a Mac. I added the 8 GB RAM, as you suggested, following your instructions. No problem. However, I notice when I click on the Apple icon that it says in the properties that the machine still has 4 GB RAM. How can you tell if the Mac really does have 8 GB RAM, other than the fact that you installed it yourself?

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 10:25:25 PM PDT
Steelers Fan says:
I upgraded mine to 16GB. The kit came with two 8GB boards. I plugged them in, reinstalled the bottom cover, booted up, and it shows 16GB on the "About This Mac" screen. Either one of your boards is bad, or one of them is not fully seated in the socket.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 8:34:27 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 29, 2012 8:34:51 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 8:35:00 AM PDT
H. A. says:
Mine shows 8GB if I click on the apple then "About This Mac". you might want to run through the installation again as your computer might not be recognizing one of the 4GB cards. If that doesn't work I would exchange your RAM.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 11:16:29 AM PDT
Thanks for the help. I removed the two Crucial cards and re-seated them. They must have been inserted incorrectly. Now when I click on "About This Mac" it says I have 8 GB RAM. One of the comments here says this Mac can hold 16 RAM. What do you know about that? I thought the limit was 8 RAM according to the Apple site.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 11:18:36 AM PDT
Thanks. I reinstalled the two 4 GB RAM cards. Apparently I hadn't inserted them properly. How do you know this Mac can hold 16 GB RAM? The Apple Web site says this Mac can only hold up to 8 GB.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (419 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $400.77