Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars i'm a big fan of LP, but this doesn't quite make the cut, May 15, 2007
This review is from: Minutes to Midnight (Audio CD)
Just got my copy on iTunes and I'm disappointed for the most part.

I loved every second of Hybrid Theory and Meteora. I loved the heavy guitar riffs, the mix of rap + rock. This album lacks the heavyness that characterized its predecessors. Most of the tracks are soft. Gone is the Points of Authority style headbanging except maybe that guitar solo part of What I've Done. I'm not even talking the peaceful serenity of the Easier to Run or In the End intro segments. This is way softer than all that. If you remember jumping up and down to the LP songs of the old days, use these to put you to sleep at night.

What I've Done is probably the only track in the album that still sounds like the old LP. It's got that old feel that distinguished LP from any other rock band. Some other tracks show promise and hints of the old style that endeared LP to the masses of us that rushed to get Meteora, like the intro track (Wake), Bleed it Out, No More Sorrow. In Pieces is an OK track in light of the band's past work. Valentines Day has a decent heavier part near the end but is still quite light and soft overall. But if they did write 50 songs for this album, I wonder how the other 40 or so were like.

I'm still a big fan of LP and will continue to be, but I must admit that their intent to sound different did not produce good results. I hope with the next release they can go back to the old days. I feel kinda bad saying this, but unless you liked "What I've Done", you probably should wait for the next release.

Interpret my 3 star any way you like. The only reason it's a 3 star to me is I can't decide how low to go. Also, I figure that like one or two tracks I deemed unworthy on the predecessors, some of these tracks seem like they could just as well grow on me.

For the meantime, check out End of Silence by RED if you haven't already. The blend of the entire band creates a similar style to LP as we know it without the rapping.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 15, 2007 2:12:10 AM PDT
Jack says:
Yeah the album from Red utterly slaughters this new Linkin Park cd. I thought at the beginning of the year that Silverchair and Linkin Park would both release stellar albums. I was horribly wrong.

Posted on May 15, 2007 8:16:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2007 8:16:42 AM PDT
JadeRSX says:
wow thanks for mentioning RED, they are not a bad band. I would've never discovered them if it wasn't for reading your review. It doesn't quite make make up for how bad i feel about lps new cd but it's a start. BTW, don't you think 3 stars were a bit high? If you want a band that kinda sounds like lp without rapping check out DRY CELL - DISCONNECTED. You can get it for free, since the label dropped them before they could ever release an album because they weren't "radiofriendly pop" enough. They are one of my fav bands, their single was "body crumbles". They sound like a blend of old lp and old adema.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2007 8:16:48 AM PDT
Yeah, doesn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2007 8:18:05 AM PDT
Shann Yu says:
thanks for the suggestion. i'll be sure to check it out. and you're right, 3 stars IS a bit high. so i'll drop it a notch. the only reason i gave it 3 is because valentines day + what i've done have begun to grow on me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2007 8:30:43 AM PDT
Shann Yu says:
i just checked out that song. it's pretty good. thanks!

Posted on May 15, 2007 8:49:41 AM PDT
Serj says:
i totally agree. i hate that there isnt a mix of rap and singing in any of the songs except bleed it out (i havent listened all the way through all of them yet). the ones i picked out that were the best were no more sorrow, bleed it out, and given up. the heavy guitars are gone, as is the heavy bass. and yes, they could put me to sleep, most of them are so slow, theres barely any energy. this cd doesnt get my hyped up like the other ones. it sucks that chester ruined his voice. i am dissapointed, but i cant help but still be a huge fan. thanks for the great review. im going to go check out that song now.

Posted on May 15, 2007 9:12:09 AM PDT
Amanda says:
Ironically enough, you mention that this album is unlike any of their previous albums while saying that their attempt to make a different record failed, how does that work? If this album is unlike those before it, then they are therefore successful in making a different sound. Thats the problem these days, being "different" is somehow bad, so give them credit for making a different album and say that its not your taste.

Posted on May 15, 2007 9:26:21 AM PDT
Nate McCooey says:
I totally agree on Red's album. It is fantastic! I bought it when I went to see them (as one of 3 opening acts for Kutless) back in November. Every track is solid, although I think the "End of Silence" Intro is unnecessary, as are the Intro/Outro tracks on most albums (Breaking Benjamin's "Phobia" album, anyone?). Another cool thing about Red is that they are a Christian band with very positive lyrics, although from their sound alone you probably wouldn't be able to tell that they are Christian. I see some similarity to LP, but not too much aside from their tendency to use piano/strings in a few songs. I personally think they sound closer to Blindside or 30 Seconds to Mars, but that's just me. I wrote a review of the album that contains some more of my thoughts; check it out.

I haven't heard the new LP album yet, but I am really curious. I love "What I've Done," but was surprised by the lack of rapping and worried for a second that maybe Mike Shinoda had left the band to pursue Fort Minor full-time or something. I'll probably be picking up the album today.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2007 5:59:41 PM PDT
Amanda,
I think you missed my point. I meant that it definitely was a different album, but that their attempt to sound different did not work well with me. I think it's cool to be different and to grow your style as a band and all, but this definitely was not a change for the better.

Posted on May 16, 2007 7:30:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2007 7:34:41 PM PDT
God_of_Death says:
Change is NOT always a good thing. Linkin Park is selfish for not thinking about its REAL fans who waited for years... ex-fans to be exact.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›