3.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, but it can be so much more..., March 8, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battlefield Bad Company 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
I've always been a fan of the Battlefield series. Battlefield 1942 could do no wrong and I spent countless hours logged in fighting on epic WWII maps. Battlefield Vietnam was awesome. Battlefield 2 was/is pure win for a modern combat FPS game and I have duked it out with numerous online opponents.

Sparking my interest, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was one of three games I bought in a row on Steam. Since I have a relatively new computer and no games to push its graphics limit, I was excited to start playing this newest member of the Battlefield series. I'd like to qualify this review. I have not played Battlefield: Bad Company (the first one). The only experience I have with this series is as stated above so all of my comparisons will be in direct correlation with those older games.

Let's start with single-player mode. Single-player is a joke and leads you on a linear storyline. Probably a third of it is spent watching cut scenes and whatnot with you jumping into the action for about a minute before leaping back into another cut scene. It's not too fun to be honest and seems like it's trying to emulate Call of Duty too much. I prefer the older single-player modes in the Battlefield series where you can practice your skills on various maps you would find in multiplayer. The graphics of course are outstanding and the voice actors are excellent (anyone who has played Arma knows how horrible voice actors can ruin a gaming experience).

Multiplayer is what I wanted though. So after familiarizing myself with the controls in single-player, I decided to leap into some online battles. Okay, "leap" maybe too strong of a word. How about "inch"? Yes, INCH my way into some online battles sounds better. As others have stated in reviews and comments, it takes forever for a server refresh. And by "forever" I mean about a minute. But that's forever in gamer time. So once the server list comes up, I'd like to apply certain filters to find the specific games I'd like to play. I click some check boxes and hit server refresh and BAM...wait...another minute goes by then...BAM! There's my updated server list. The load times into multiplayer games themselves seems to be on par with the load times with Battlefield 2. Maybe a tad bit longer. One of the rumors I have read in regards to the unholy server load times was that EA wasn't expecting this game to be a "success" or to be as popular as it has become. What? Really? You mean to tell me the success of the other Battlefield games wouldn't have given EA a clue as to server loads? Thought they were smarter than that.

Anyway...

The online action is intense and joining a squad is the smartest thing you can do. Being able to spawn on any squad member is cool in my opinion though several people have scoffed at the idea. Also take note of which servers are "hardcore" as opposed to "normal". In hardcore servers, you have no mini-map available, no crosshairs, no ammunition counter, and no heads up display on screen should enemies be spotted. I didn't know this was even an option so I would join some regular servers that provided this info then I'd join another server that was hardcore. I kept thinking I had hit a series of buttons that had removed this information from my screen.

It took me a couple of rounds to figure out some controls but overall, the controls are the same as most FPS' you have played. One thing that is rather annoying is the lack of the ability to go prone. I'm not sure why this wasn't included as it seems like a vital and rather common control that would aid in your survivability online. I've had my clock cleaned with a couple of well placed headshots because I couldn't go prone behind a large rock, woodpile, etc...

I dig the unlocks and achievements for Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Battlefield 2 had unlocks so it seems this game is improving on that, as well as latching on to the popularity of "achievements". Who doesn't like looking at their stats and seeing all those cool medals and badges?? I do. I'll sit for hours staring at them, plotting my next achievement, and calculating time ratios and differentials in my head while drinking copious amounts of Mountain Dew and not sleeping for days.

So, as I wind down this review, I will say that Battlefield: Bad Company 2 can be addicting but it can also be a lot better. A few things that I'd like to see are to bring back the big maps and more vehicle warfare. I know this is primarily an infantry slugfest at the moment, but the appeal of the Battlefield series was that you had the option to use any kind of vehicle throughout the game; from tanks to APCs, jets to helicopters, and anti-air to hummers. It was epic! Bad Company isn't epic. It's small scale and that's what is most disappointing to me. Sure, you can use a few vehicles now, but they are limited. I have fun, but the maps are few and horribly small and the battles are too quick. I can already feel the excitement draining from playing this game. Let Call of Duty do their thing. Why try to emulate CoD when you already have a successful franchise built on solid online gameplay? Let's get these patches going and see what Battlefield: Bad Company 2 can really do. This could easily be one of the best online games if EA would have just stuck with the previous formula used in the series.

EDIT 03/15/10: Soon after I posted this review, maybe a few days later, the server refreshes have considerably improved. I'm assuming EA has done a little maintenance on their end. There is still a bug that persists when you click on a server to join. Sometimes your log-in name in the top right corner of the screen will disappear and you will be unable to join a game. I have to click on the "Favourites" server tab, then back, my name will come back on screen and I can join a game. It happened to me a lot this weekend which was annoying. I was using the search feature to find a specific server and it happened more when I used that.

EDIT 04/06/10: Okay, so the little bug where your log-in name would disappear and you were unable to get into a server has gone the way of the Dodo! The interface is much smoother and a few new maps have been added to the Conquest and Rush server rotations which is cool. For a week or so I was playing this everyday just to get all the unlocks for each class (Assault, Engineer, Medic, Recon and Vehicles) and I'm about 80% of the way through all of the achievements. I enjoy the game to a certain extent, but still yearn for something more...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 9, 2010 6:01:40 AM PST
Very nice review. You have convinced me to stick with BF2 on PC, Call of Duty: MW on PS3, and Team Fortress 2 on PC. I do miss they good ole days of BF1942, that is for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2010 9:35:43 AM PST
Corpsie says:
Thanks, Jason! That's a good call on your part. I'm already starting to drift away from this game and find myself booting up BF2 more often than not. Hopefully if there is another addition to the Battlefield family, they won't try to copy CoD again.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 9:41:13 AM PDT
T. Q. Le says:
FINALLY, a fellow Battlefield fan, someone who understands the complete unique difference between Battlefield (key word EPIC!) and Call of Duty (Close Quarters) series. You just pointed out the problems that EA is now failing at so many games through their ownership and marketing of more games than they can handle; mixing game themes to destroy diversity, example C&C4. Hopefully they decide to add an expansion with more vehicles like BF2 with theres. I'll buy this game when price drops, until then, Battlefield 2...daddy's coming back.

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 5:32:45 PM PDT
I wanted to reiterate your point that EA should NOT have made all the maps smaller - I couldn't agree more! I love the BC2, but I am terribly disappionted that they shrunk all the levels. This killed the epic nature of BC1 which is what distinguished the game and set it apart.

"Battlefield: Bad Company 2 can be addicting but it can also be a lot better. A few things that I'd like to see are to bring back the big maps and more vehicle warfare. I know this is primarily an infantry slugfest at the moment, but the appeal of the Battlefield series was that you had the option to use any kind of vehicle throughout the game; from tanks to APCs, jets to helicopters, and anti-air to hummers. It was epic! Bad Company isn't epic. It's small scale and that's what is most disappointing to me. Sure, you can use a few vehicles now, but they are limited. I have fun, but the maps are few and horribly small and the battles are too quick. I can already feel the excitement draining from playing this game. Let Call of Duty do their thing. Why try to emulate CoD when you already have a successful franchise built on solid online gameplay? Let's get these patches going and see what Battlefield: Bad Company 2 can really do. This could easily be one of the best online games if EA would have just stuck with the previous formula used in the series"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2010 9:27:58 AM PDT
@T.Q. Le and Captain Chaoss:

Exactly! You guys definitely get it. I do like Bad Company 2 and continue to play it every once in a while, but I'm still waiting for a "real" sequel to the Battlefield series. I haven't checked the game rumor mills in a while but I would be curious to see if someone is making a Battlefield 3... I'll keep my fingers crossed! Thanks for the comments!

Posted on Apr 11, 2010 3:33:42 AM PDT
Johnny B says:
Hey, thanks for the review! I have an eye candy fetish and have been waiting for the right successor to the BF2 throne or even a modern environment skin of dare I say its name (2142). BC2, as all seem to agree, looks amazing but after reading your review I empathize totally having played BF since '42 till now. Come on EA, do us one proud. Take 2/3 BF2 game play and map genius, and 1/2 pound of BC2 eye candy bake at 450 for 20 min and sprinkle with a pinch of dynamics from the Project Reality folks and you'll have a guaranteed hardcore fan smash hit. My 2 cents anyway. Thanks again, I think I would've been sorely disappointed.

Posted on Apr 15, 2010 5:27:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2010 5:32:07 AM PDT
Laus Nordah says:
I understand where your review is coming from but I disagree with you. Your review of the game is lacking.

You seem to have mentioned mostly the aspects you don't like about the game. A lot of really awesome features are present in Bad Company 2 and you only brought up a few of them (squad spawning, unlock improvements, achievements, hardcore mode) briefly. You completely neglected to mention the destructible environment and the SOUNDS/acoustics which are some of the best I've ever had the privilege to hear. You did not give this game the credit it deserves. Bad Company 2 immerses you and keeps you there. That is what makes it so much fun.

I am disappointed that your review is listed as the most helpful critical review. I would advise anyone who has read this review and the comments to look elsewhere for something more objective.

Also, I'm pretty sure the single player mode is a tutorial for people new to the genre. I miss the bots from the other games but not having that feature doesn't make a game that is designed to be played with other people less of a great game. If you need practice, do it live!

(I hate the kill cam)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2010 10:00:32 AM PDT
Corpsie says:
@Laus Hey, not gonna argue with you. You bring up some great points that I missed in my original review. I do enjoy the destructible environments and the sound quality really is top notch. I appreciate you bringing up those points. Thanks for the comment and the constructive criticism.

PS: I hate the kill cam as well. =)

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 12:00:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2010 12:03:28 AM PDT
I'm surprised you think the maps are small and even go as far as to compare them to COD maps. They are large enough to have substantial bullet drop when sniping and are AT LEAST 4-5 times as big as the biggest COD map. Some of the Conquest versions of the maps aren't huge, but they are still larger than any COD map.

I miss the airplanes that were in BF2, but this is a Bad Company game and that is what the upcoming BF3 is for. Instead of flying the planes we get to call in air strikes, which is awesome, and it keeps the focus of the battle on the ground where it generally should be. I enjoy that tanks and choppers aren't such overpowering part of the game where only one or two people can completely take over a server in just one APC or one chopper. Engineers on the ground can actually take out choppers on their own without resorting to finding an AA guns and being helpless otherwise. The balancing of the vehicles helps the flow of the game, which can already get choked up when the offensive team gets too recon heavy.

I enjoy vehicle madness as well, that is why I am so excited for Battlefield 3. But this is Bad Company, and its a fantastic game in its own right. Still can't believe you'd compare the map sizes and gameplay to COD. Its just a different genre of modern warfare shooter, frankly much more realistic and exciting.

Just my opinion, thanks for the review!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 1:43:16 PM PDT
Corpsie says:
@Christopher Excellent points and as updates/patches have come through, I'm inclined to agree! I enjoy BFBC2 a lot and my opinion has definitely changed since my original review. Thanks for the comment and I'm looking forward to BF3 as well!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (438 customer reviews)

$19.99 $9.43