5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding fingernail clipper ... someone finally got it right, February 27, 2007
This review is from: Seki Edge Stainless Steel Fingernail Clipper (Health and Beauty)
Each of us has certain tools or accessories in which we are more or less interested than the average person. Maybe you're totally wrapped up in finding "the ultimate hammer" where, to me, it's no big deal. I suspect that I am a lot more interested in a quality nail clipper than the average person who's sufficiently satisfied with the chrome plated items we find in most drugstores and grocery stores. If the average nail clipper you find in the local store is good enough for you, then there's no reason to read this review.

Personally, I find the typical chrome plated, "inexpensive" nail clipper to be utterly maddening. Why? A) the chrome plating often starts falling off before you even open the package and it begins to fall off even faster when you begin using the clippers; B) the cutting edge on most brands is utterly inconsistent. If I buy two pair of a given brand, I find one clips just fine while the second gets about half way through my nail and decides it's just too much work and I end up tearing the nail instead of clipping it. C) The clippers tend to fall apart WAY too fast, with the thumb lever becoming loose and wobbly in no time. D) The metal is such low quality that any significant encounter with water gets them rusting like crazy. E) Even the better ones have such poorly shaped cutting edges that they'd be better described as "nail crunchers", leaving a rough edge instead of a smooth, clean edge. Some cutting edges are so poor they won't even cut cleanly through loose skin around the nail.

If these gripes about the common nail clipper ring a bell with you, then I strongly suggest you try the Seki Edge Stainless Steel Nail Clipper.

First off, it's stainless steel, not chrome plated ... no flakes of chrome getting imbedded under your fingernails ... no rusting after a few days in damp shower kit. Second, the construction is sturdy and substantial, not flimsy. Third, the cutting edge is masterful, delivering a clean, smooth cut every time ... a cut accompanied by a satisfying CLICK!! that tells you it's cut cleanly through the nail. Forth, the mechanism is designed to work smoothly with no ill fitting, loose or wobbly parts. It's simply the best fingernail clipper I've EVER used and I can highly recommend it.

Given that people's priorities do vary, there are a few product details you should consider before purchasing ... if you like a fingernail file built into your clipper, you won't find one here. Personally, when I need a file (which isn't often with this true edged clipper), I use the one in my smallest Swiss Army Knife. Second, there is no round hole in the base of the clipper to which to attach a chain or key ring. There are two narrow slots through which a small diameter chord could be fitted, but nothing big enough to support a chain or key ring. Lastly, this item is made of substantial stainless steel, so it's considerably heavier than most clippers. If that's likely to bother you, keep it in mind.

I have NO regrets about this great clipper and I'm SO glad I got it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 21, 2009 6:26:23 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2009 12:29:28 PM PDT
Justin Donie says:
:) Nope ... Just a satisfied customer. I work in the IT industry.

Posted on Aug 14, 2010 12:07:47 PM PDT
John says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2010 10:54:41 PM PDT
Justin Donie says:
Agree all you like, some of us just enjoy writing reviews for products we really enjoy. Skepticism is a reasonable form of caution, but in this case, unnecessary. I just really liked this product and was amazed how different it was from any other I'd owned before. As for what sort of person writes such reviews ... well, apparently, a person like me, not like you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2010 9:27:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2010 9:28:02 PM PDT
PGM says:
Ha, ha, ha.......... I appreciate the review. I get long winded about things I like myself :) Why NOT! LIFE is good!

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 3:54:11 PM PST
J. frank says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 7:10:15 PM PST
Dear J. frank,

A) I have never worked for a company that manufactured, marketed, sold or had anything to do in any way with nail clippers. Nor do I generally care about nail clippers much. But these were SO completely beyond any other set I'd owned, I thought I'd share. By the way, I'm a technical writer for a telecommunications company, and I don't write advertising copy. But I do enjoy writing. That's me.
B) Yes, $9 for shipping is completely ridiculous. When I bought mine, the company selling them didn't charge nearly so much. I'd look for another source.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011 7:45:34 AM PST
K. Mills says:
A little research, people...

This guy's written a huge number of very thoughtful and objective reviews on all kinds of different products. It's people like him that make user reviews worthwhile.

On another note, search Amazon for Seki Edge. There's a store selling this for fourteen bucks shipped.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2011 1:06:28 PM PST
Justin Donie says:
Thanks for the nicely expressed vote of appreciation. And thanks for the tip on the lower price. I recently lost my Seki and will need to replace it.

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 9:40:46 PM PDT