Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine, as long as you color within the lines, November 8, 2012
This review is from: Assassin's Creed III (Video Game)
Assassin's Creed III is the single worst AAA game I've ever purchased. The graphics are phenomenal aside from some minor shadow and texture quirks. The controls are good and generally responsive; occasionally Connor/Desmond will try to do something unintended due to the parkour trigger handling obstacles automatically. The story is flat out boring inside the Animus and only slightly more interesting outside of it. Luckily story and graphics are two of the least important parts of a fun game. Unfortunately, fun is something ACIII lacks.

What really killed the game for me was the absolute piss-poor game design choices made by the development team. Missions are pass or fail based on very black and white rules. A good example would be an early mission where you have to sneak into a stronghold and spy without being caught. If you are caught, the mission restarts at the beginning ignoring any progress you have made. Once you understand how the developers meant for you to complete the mission, it becomes very easy. A better and more logical approach would be to either loosen the rules on the mission and let users complete it in their own way or add some freaking checkpoints.

Another problem with the game is the sheer stupidity of being a one man murder machine. Last I checked, assassins were ninja-like killers who only fought face to face when they absolutely had to. When I completed my play-through I had nearly 800 kills, most obtained from fights. I don't think anyone could finish this game with less than 100 kills even if they wanted to; if they could, it would probably be a very frustrating play-through. This leads to the real problem with a game that has the word "assassin" in the title.

Ubisoft seems to have given up on stealth completely, replacing it with a mediocre "you attack, then I attack" combat focus. Enemies still attack one at a time with a random 2 man scripted attack thrown in to make you feel cool. Combat retains the same tried and true counter system as other games, though I think it requires less buttons (been a while since I played ACII). In some areas enemies re-spawn infinitely. so you can easily go on for an hour fighting, if you so desire.

Another problem with the minimal stealth system that is present is that once you get your wanted level up to 3, it's damn near impossible to go anywhere without the entire city being alerted. You can't talk to the town criers until the alarm goes away; if you are just hiding in a hay bale the second you step out, the morons are on you again. Sure, you can run around pulling down wanted posters, but those seem to be few and far between; either that or they are not marked well.

The one true redeeming quality as far as the ACIII gameplay is concerned are the awesome naval battles. Ubisoft could make an entire game based on the naval battles. Nothing is more satisfying than making ships explode with a well placed volley of cannon-ball fire. I have never seen naval warfare executed this well and I hope Ubisoft takes this ball and runs with it.

Overall, fans of the series will cream themselves playing this game. I really wanted to like ACIII because the time period is freaking awesome, but the design problems kept my frustration high. I give this game a ** instead of * for the awesome naval moments. Everything else is mostly forgettable. Anyone that thought the other games were just OK (like me) should avoid this poorly designed, pretty, mess of a game and check out Dishonored instead.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 6:36:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 6:45:25 AM PST
Viper says:
You make some good points. So far, my only complaints are how dang long it takes to become full fledged Connor and how little I care for Desmond and the Animus as a story telling mechanic. Desmond and his present day friends seem to pale in comparison to the colorful characters and world of Desmond's ancestors.

Stealth is there. You just have to utilize it. My wife and I both play ACIII. She loves and hates the game often yelling at it frustrated while I play it and really enjoy it (except for life outside of the Animus, I am on Sequence 6). I approach it with massive stealth or open aggression depending on my mood and the mission. Case in point, one mission early on has you hijacking a convoy of Mohawk slaves. Instead of firing on the redcoats from the roof I dropped down behind them and hidden blade assassinated 5 or 6 of them (walking towards them one at a time) as I approached from the back before they realized I was there. This tactic works wonders in the streets as you can create a distraction (ie- throwing money near or between sets of guards) and assassinate targets or sets of two guards and blend incognito before the other troops realized anything has happened. I steath kill entire groups of patrolling guards by sneaking in from behind, killing two (one at a time) and then standing nearby in a crowd. Once the patrol continues moving I repeat my actions or dash in and kill two with dual blades and assassinate the remaining guard with my blade as I rise up.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 11:16:26 PM PST
Your review hits the mark, the game just isn't fun, you shouldn't be playing just to finish it like I was, you should want the game to never end. I love it how everyone is saying the same thing, naval missions awesome, the rest pretty crappy, of course they're right.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 11:38:55 AM PST
J. Kramarz says:
I played to finish also. It was mostly painful. I thought about hanging onto it just to play around on my ship, but in the end I traded it to Amazon. Picked up some books with the gift card so it wasn't a complete bust. Paid $28 to play a sub-par game, but got some quality reading material with the $32 I got back.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 12:14:14 AM PST
Have you ever played a game with actual stealth elements? You would

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 2:03:47 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 10, 2013 2:04:09 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 2:06:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013 2:08:47 PM PST
Christopher says:
I'm a huge fan of the Metal Gear Solid series, and I recently played Bethesda's Dishonored. These games all incorporate truly excellent stealth gameplay, such that every level felt like an intelligent, organic puzzle full of pitfalls, hiding places, and movement patterns. While I cannot vouch for AC3, I have played all of the other main AC titles except for Brotherhood, and all of them completely failed to implement stealth. The series may as well be called Berserker's Creed, or perhaps Rambo's Creed. Even in cutscenes, the assassins never *act* like assassins. The climax of this trend was the sequence in Assassin's Creed: Revelations when Ezio, while running away from some guards through the docks of Constantinople, takes a flamethrower (?!) and literally sets the entire shipyard on fire. Way to, uh, keep a low profile.

In short, I think you're absolutely right to say that Ubisoft has given up on stealth, and that it makes no sense in relation to the plot or the title.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 11:28:51 AM PST
J. Kramarz says:
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›