Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying and emotionally exhausting, this is survival horror at its finest, July 29, 2014
This review is from: The Last of Us Remastered - PlayStation 4 (Video Game)
This is one of the most immersing game experiences I've ever had. I actually felt as if I had become Joel, trekking through this deadly, near hopeless world, struggling to survive for just one more day. On occasion, this level of immersion is broken, but for the most part, I truly felt like I had stepped into the shoes of the protagonist. His emotions became mine- the frustration, the elation, the horror, the desperation... and the slow, creeping pall of hopelessness in this dark, damaged earth.

If you are prone to night terrors or depression, do NOT play this game, because it will alternately terrify you and make you despair for the plight of this lost world. However, if you can handle the mature subjects of the tale, you are in for a real treat, and perhaps the greatest game to ever be produced in the genre of survival horror.

Yes, this game is scary, to a level I haven’t felt since the original Silent Hill on PS1. I generally felt powerless in this world and some of the enemies (primarily Clickers and Runners) make my stomach tighten with dread. If you're super hardcore, and you want a REALLY scary experience, I recommend you play on Hard difficulty for your first play-through, because the number of supplies (ammo, med kits, shivs, bombs, etc.) that are available on the Normal difficulty level are far too abundant for players who want a supreme challenge.

On the subject of crafting, this is a component of the game that is easy to learn, and fun to engage in. It further puts you into the mindset of Joel, a man desperate for survival, who has learned to salvage at all available opportunities. Slowly tuning up my weapons was also a lot of fun, though Joel is but a pale imitator compared to his rival protagonists (Nathan Drake, Marcus Fenix, etc.) in other games (but this is a good thing, for it feels realistic, and fits with the tone of the piece). Joel's wobbly aim, perpetual shortage of ammo, and rather sluggish speed make him feel like a real, middle-aged guy who has learned to survive in a dangerous world, not some superhuman who handles everything with grace.

The stealth aspect is also handled brilliantly, and engaging in it is extremely satisfying. This stealth system is a perfect evolution of that which was established in the Metal Gear Solid series (particularly #2), utilizing a great visual cone and audio circumference for your enemies, which must be studied for vulnerabilities and exploited at every possible opportunity. Determining how to approach each new challenge (lots of trial and error will be involved), and how to successfully clear an area of enemies (generally without being detected, as ammo and health are so limited) is really fun. These challenges become "3D puzzles" in a way, as you must use your noggin to break down enemy patterns and AI reactions, with the added tension of knowing that it only takes one slip-up to result in failure - and these enemies really do make you feel the fear.

Visually speaking, this game is remarkable, even by next gen standards. The improved graphics of the Remastered edition are immediately apparent to those who of us who played The Last of Us on PS3. Resolutions are incredibly detailed, but even more effective is the silky smooth frame rate. The attention to detail is simply staggering, and it all comes together to further enhance the emotional impact of this unforgettable experience. Gameplay is always more important than graphics in my book, but it certainly helps convey the emotions of the characters when everything looks this darned good.

The Last of Us is like nothing else. It is, quite frankly, an exhausting experience, one that left my mind reeling with the consequences of my fascinating journey, and the unbreakable bonds I had formed with Ellie and Joel - two fictitious characters who seem unshakably real. I just can’t forget about them, and I can’t forget about what we’ve been through together. It’s not just their story, it’s OUR story. We are family, struggling to survive in a dangerous world. We are the last of us.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 29, 2014 12:17:21 PM PDT
What an awesome review, I'm so glad they decided to make this game available on PS4.

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 12:58:50 PM PDT
Taylor says:
Awesome review!! Keep up the awesome work! :) Mine's waiting at Gamestop for me when I get off of work... It's two more hours. I'm going to die :((((

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 1:07:34 PM PDT
Justin says:
Nice review thanks for sharing your point of view on this game!

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 1:25:06 PM PDT
Yeah mate, nice a see a conscious review.

Posted on Jul 30, 2014 12:27:10 AM PDT
Altan says:
Great Review, I feel the same way, I just could not put into words like you did.

Posted on Jul 30, 2014 6:19:54 AM PDT
Gabe says:
Thank you for the positive feedback! I really do appreciate these positive comments, as they make me feel it's worth my while to post customer reviews. Hope everybody enjoys the game!

Posted on Jul 31, 2014 9:38:47 PM PDT
Willie Payne says:
What are you a professional writer? LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2014 11:31:27 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 17, 2014 12:00:07 AM PST]

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 1:48:37 PM PDT
Jason says:
Fantastic review. You were able to put into words my exact thoughts. Such an immersive game, and like you said, an exhausting experience.

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 2:46:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2014 2:50:00 AM PDT
Jesse Dupere says:
I was reading this before i got the game. I did not play the game on the ps3. This review really helped me because i was going to play the game on normal than hard. I ended up playing it on hard and im glad i did for my first play through. Reviews like this are the reason i bought the game and so glad i listen to the people. I was going to pass on this game thinking its an remake its not next gen. I was wrong its my best looking ps4 game and i got 5 aaa games so far. I feel the same way this person feels well playing the game. I would write and review but im not as good at wording things as this person is.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›