2.0 out of 5 stars The recipes just don't work, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Humphry Slocombe Ice Cream Book (Paperback)
I judge a cookbook at the most basic level: do the recipes work as written? All too often cookbooks are rushed to market and the recipes are not tested. These books can be full of innovative ideas and gorgeous art and personality, but if the recipes don't work then what is the point?

Sadly, the Humphry Slocombe Ice Cream Book is one of these cookbooks.

I'm a fan of the establishment. I've eaten their delicious ice cream a dozen times, including a flight of beer ice creams during SF beer week. If this was a review of the *place* I'd give them five stars easily. But it's not.

So far I have made the Here's Your Damn Strawberry Ice Cream (twice), the Here's Your Damn Chocolate Ice Cream, Secret Breakfast, the cornflake cookies and the graham crackers. And none of them have worked out properly. One gets the impression that they wrote up one generic recipe for their custard base and copy-pasted it for every ice cream. Or that the baking instructions for the baked goods at the back of the book were rough guesses. I've had to cut the salt in half for every recipe otherwise the ice cream tastes like a salt lick. The cooking times for the chocolate were wildly off. The cornflake cookies were done after 13 minutes--doing it for the recommended 30 would have resulted in charcoal briquettes. And so on.

There are good ideas in here, but the execution is terrible.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 26, 2012 10:37:30 AM PDT
Martin Goetz says:
You're so right about the saltiness, I made the chocolate malt ice cream and the salt just overpowers everything. When I was making it, I thought, wow, that's a lot of salt but I put it in for grins and it just doesn't work. Also, wouldn't that much salt impede the freezing, it seems to in my batch.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 1:11:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 3:04:24 PM PDT
Lillan says:
I have to agree with this review. The measurements are way off. I will write Mr. Slocombe to tell him how disappointed I am for wasting my money. I knew from the first recipe that I made, that the ratios were wrong, but I had to see how wrong. Nuff said

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 2:21:24 PM PDT
I came here wondering if anybody else was having issues with the salt levels. I love salt and salty foods, but these recipes are a little out of control. I'm thinking they must use a flaky kosher salt, like Diamond, that is less salty by volume than Morton's table or kosher salts.

Edit: I just asked them on their Facebook page which salt they use, and sure enough it's Diamond Kosher. Anybody cooking with other brands of salt can safely halve the amount listed in the recipe.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 9:31:34 AM PDT
Lillan says:
A tablespoon of Kosher salt weighs 10 grams, normal table salt weighs twice as much, which is a huge difference. The Salt and Pepa recipe does call for Kosher where other recipes don't. The Chocolate Sea Salt recipe calls for a tablespoon of smoked salt, which cannot be Kosher as they don't make it. Also, that recipe calls for 3/4 cup sugar in the ingredient list which, in the instructions, is used with water to make caramel. The instructions then call for an additional 1 cup of sugar, not listed in the ingredient list, to make the custard. The result was overly sweet and too soft. This recipe is a total fail.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 12:01:47 PM PDT
A tablespoon of kosher salt will differ in weight based upon the brand. I tested Morton's two times and got readings between 17-18 grams. Other online sources have mentioned that a tablespoon of Diamond brand kosher salt tends to come in closer to 10 grams.

As for smoked salt, I have a brand of smoked sea salt from Maldon. A tablespoon of it weighs 8 grams, but you are right that it's not kosher (one could smoke their own kosher salt of course).

I haven't tried the recipe you are referring to but a quick look at my copy shows that omitting the extra cup of sugar in the ingredient list was done for a few other recipes, including Baracky Road and White Miso. Thinking of knocking a star off my review for this & a few other reasons.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 8:44:43 AM PST
R.D. Monsoon says:
I completely agree that some, if not many of the measurements seem way off, most notably the salt, and sometimes sugar.

I wouldn't call the book a total waste though. I've been able to easily modify things to get them to work. I stick with the Ben & Jerry's cream base (without cooking), and then go from there. It's worked pretty well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›