4,504 of 4,832 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Twentyfour Characters in Search of a Story, April 5, 2012
This review is from: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire) (Hardcover)
SPOILERS AHEAD

I'm Varamyr Sixskins. I'm here for the prologue to set us all up for the impending horrors of the North and all the excitement to come...

I'm Tyrion Lannister, the most popular character in all of Westeros! I spend this book meandering down a really slow river, ruminating bitterly about my life, misplacing my former charm, eroding all the goodwill I built up in the other books, and wondering where the whores go. Though perhaps I should have been wondering where the plot went. I also observe turtles and women, play board games, mouth off to all and sundry, and coincidentally run into various characters like some wandering monster in a D&D campaign. Maybe I'll make it to Daenarys in the next book, but at least I ditched that pig.

I'm Asha Greyjoy. I don't have much to do, so I'll be the POV character keeping track of Stannis and his forces. At the beginning of Dance with Dragons, he's working his way towards Winterfell to take it back from the Boltons. At the end of Dance with Dragons, he's...working his way towards Winterfell to take it back from the Boltons. Hope that helps.

I'm Ser Davon Seaworth, the Onion Knight. I'm still running errands for Stannis and getting captured frequently. It's a living.

I'm Bran Stark. I am a tree.

I'm Daenarys Targaryen. I'm only a young girl, and I know little in the ways of war, governance, what have you. I used to think I said these things to misdirect people, but as of DoD it seems to be true. I spend my time taking baths, fretting, being wishy-washy, and mooning over this hot mercenary dude. In the end I learn that "you have to go back to go forward." I would have thought that going backwards would be the last thing that this book needs, but I am only a young girl and know little of the ways of story advancement.

I'm Aegon Targaryen. I appear for the first time in book five as the long thought dead son of Prince Rhaegar and the rightful heir to the Iron Throne. I know, right? What a surprise! It's like I was just pulled from thin air! I spend much of the book traveling to Daenarys, but then I change my mind and go and invade Westeros without her. Sort of. No one important has noticed yet. See you in the next book!

I'm Griff, aka Jon Connington. I'm here to get Aegon Targaryen on the Iron Throne. I tried to tell that kid not to wait until the fifth book to show up if he wants to be king. Now nobody's invested in us. We're like, peripheral characters or something. Nobody cares. I (*sniff*) just want someone to care, you know?

I'm Theon Greyjoy. Turns out I'm not dead, though I rather wish I were. It's been rough. On the bright side, my chapters were some of the only highlights of this bloated beast of a book. I even got to be almost a hero at the end! Can't wait for the next book. Redemption arc ahoy! People like me now!

Tyrion: Settle down sailor. You're not really a major character, and people still don't like you.

I'm Jaime Lannister. I snuck in to steal a chapter just like I would steal a kiss from my sweet sister. Oh look, there's Brienne! She's not dead after all. Whatever could have happened? Oops, we gotta go now, so I'll guess we'll never know. Blink and you'll miss us!

I'm Ser Robert *cough*Gregor*cough* Strong *cough*not dead*cough*. Gregor SMASH!

I'm the Hound. You know, I strongly suspect that I might not be dead either.

Tyrion: Quiet, you. No one even mentions you in this book.

I'm Wyman Manderly. I'm a minor character, but I bring a bit of awesome anyway. I was last seen bleeding from a neck wound. I wonder if I'll die. Your guess is as good as the author's.

I'm John Snow. I command the wall and defend Westeros from the horrors of the North. I count sides of beef and sausages, receive messages, meet with my staff, greet newcomers, and find bedrooms for all the wildings. Seriously, am I a commander or a butler? It's the end of the book already, we need some action! I'll march on Winterfell and retake it from the cursed Boltons! Away we go! Oh, dang it. Stabbed from all sides. There goes that plan. It sure does seem like I'll die now...

I'm Quentyn Martell. I'm kind of a side plot that has no impact at all on the main story. Then I die. But the good news is that I really am dead for sure!

I'm Melisandre. I get a chapter where I play with fire and see things and act all cryptic with people. Well, I have to amuse myself somehow. It's booorrring at the wall.

I'm Victarion Grayjoy.
Sailing, sailing, over the bounding main!
This book will end
Before I meet
Daenarys Targaryen!

I'm Aero Hota. Don't worry, I don't really remember who I am either. Not much to see here, anyway.

I'm Cersei Lannister. I get two chapters of humiliation. I can has some of Theon's reader sympathy now? No? Well then. I won't forget this. A Lannister always pays his debts...maybe in the next book.

I'm Ayra Stark. I'm in two chapters, too, and I kill someone, like I always do. But this time it's different; this time someone told me to. That's progress. Maybe someday I'll kill someone who has something to do with the main story.

I'm Barriston Selmy. I putter around Meereen, trying in some small way to advance the plot. Alas, to little avail. I'm too old for this.

I'm Kevan Lannister. I waited a thousand pages for a POV and all I got was this lousy epilogue and a quarrel in the chest. Oh well. At least I'm well and truly done with this mess.

Varys: Maybe.

We're the Others. We are the horror of the North and theoretically the real Big Bad Threat in this series. It's five books in, and we still haven't really gotten to do anything yet. To be honest, we're too bored to bother any more. We're going to invade Canada instead and subdue them to our icy will. Apologies everyone!

Hugs and kisses!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 21 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 409 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 6, 2012 6:30:49 AM PDT
Priceless. Thank you, that made my day.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 6:31:52 AM PDT
J. Whelan says:
Nice review. But you're wrong about Quentyn. He's not dead. He's hanging out with Viserion in an abandoned pyramid. Tatters is the "dying prince" on Dany's bed.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 6:33:19 AM PDT
NLM4501 says:
Better than the book - I wasted my time reading 1000 pages and you basically covered EVERYTHING in your review. Great job!

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 9:29:51 AM PDT
Steady_01 says:
People save yourselves twenty bucks and just read this review. You'll have saved money and a piece of your life.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 3:44:44 PM PDT
This is hilarious! And so true, especially about Areo Hotah, or however it's spelled. I had to stop reading and google who the hell he was, it had been so long since I'd read the previous books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 10:14:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 7, 2012 10:14:56 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 2:11:19 PM PDT
TallTale1004 says:
I bow to the greatness of this review!

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 7:15:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2012 7:17:05 PM PDT
Theresa says:
Could not agree more with Dany's "I am only a young girl, and know nothing of war/ politics/ government/ the most basic common sense" seeming only like so much sneaky self- deprecation in past books but becoming simply the cold, hard truth about her abilities in this one.

What is it with women losing 60+ IQ points upon ascending power in these books?

Anyway, great review-- way to make lemonade from a book that--especially compared to GRRM's previous works in this series-- all too often felt like a bit of a lemon.

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 7:33:06 AM PDT
Priceless

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 1:38:00 AM PDT
The sad truth about DoD...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 41 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (6,665 customer reviews)
 (3,139)