Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on Tikes

5.0 out of 5 stars Best PDA I've had!, September 14, 2008
This review is from: Moleskine Classic Notebook, Pocket, Ruled, Black, Hard Cover (3.5 x 5.5) (Diary)
Moleskine Ruled Notebook
In the course of my working life I spent several years as a computer tech, and have consequently learned a healthy caution regarding the frailty of electronic devices. The Pocket Moleskine has been the most reliable PDA I've tried. Compact enough to fit in any pants pocket, the covers are stiff enough to provide a firm, stable writing surface even when standing and yet still pliable enough to be comfortable even in a back pocket. A previous reviewer said he expected a notebook "the size of a DVD case". Two points in response: how many DVD-case-sized pockets do you have, and why didn't you order the larger Moleskine? He also complained that he could only get one sentence on a page in his Moleskine. my own handwriting is of a normal size, and a quick check of my most-recently filled Moleskine shows an average of 130 words to the page.
The Moleskine is filled with good, smooth acid-free paper that can take a wide variety of inks without smearing, discoloring, or bleeding through. The expanding pocket is well-secured and can hold a surprising quantity of loose notes, receipts, business cards, etc. The books themselves are well constructed and durable; mine are exposed to hot, humid conditions and hold up to daily carry and use.
The other reviewer pointed out the price: certainly these are not 79-cent Office Max specials, but for the serious writer, or a person who must record important information through the course of a day and retain it legibly for more than a week, the price is worth it. One hint to extend the capacity of your Moleskine: use the bound pages for things you want to permanently record, and keep Post-It notes inside the covers to jot down quick memoranda. I use the Post-Its for such things as the titles of books or movies I want to research. (Think of the Post-Its as expandable memory for your PDA!)

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 4, 2009 5:30:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2009 10:43:20 AM PDT

Thanks for the great review. I would consider myself a reforming electronic junkie, and I am looking for some "old school" alternatives to expensive electronic devices that fail. My recently purchased Palm Treo PDA has a defective / damaged touch screen, and is a paperweight after doing a hard reset and now being stuck on an align screen loop. I have went through numerous electronic PDA's over the last 10 years, probably spending a couple hundred $ every year or two to upgrade. I like my Moleskine, and don't have to worry about the frailty of electronics.

Your suggestion on using Post-It notes is very useful, and the main reason for my comment, to thank you. A few Post-It notes on the insides of covers gives me great temporary note space for stuff I don't need or want permanently saved in my notebook.

D. Spreadborough

Posted on Jan 2, 2010 5:24:02 PM PST

Posted on Apr 7, 2010 5:00:58 AM PDT
Shyam says:
nice review, interesting perspective on what's practical and what people actually use. i am buying this based on your review

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 6:27:49 PM PDT
Ryan says:
Are the notebooks replacable?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2011 9:18:39 PM PDT
MacCann says:
Sorry it took a while to get back...No, this model is hard-bound. I think there is some type of Moleskine that uses inserts; this one does not allow replacement or expansion of the pages.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2011 9:19:05 PM PDT
Ryan says:
Oh, well I would get it if it was, I'll look into them. Thanks for the reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 10:16:26 PM PDT
Uhm.. Dude.. This isn't a PDA.. where's the wireless e-mails and the tweets and mp3 functions?? There is nothing D (digital) about this... it is, however, a pretty sweet PAA! (Personal Analog Assistant)

And for that.. it can't be beat. Word up. No cops.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 7:57:57 PM PDT
MacCann says:
BDT: With you 100% on the PAA thing (we even call them PAA's in my shop), but I didn't think anyone would know what a PAA is:) You're right about the Moleskine's poor wireless capabilities, but sometimes being protected from pesky emails and Twittering twits is a good thing, no?
Hang in.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 9:49:11 PM PDT
AgentChin says:
Hi! This is a great review. I used Moleskin for a while then tried CIAK. I believe CIAK wins because I use the journal several times a day and Moleskin does not hold up where CIAK keeps it together. I think the paper is more durable, and you can really punish the elastic band and they never break on you. I like the graph style the best because you can write or draw scale. Ebay is a good place to find CIAK; I don't see them on amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 2:30:23 PM PDT
PDA can also mean personal data assistant. Just saying.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›