5.0 out of 5 stars Classy British Soap finally gets some DVD exposure in US, March 28, 2005
This review is from: Eastenders - Slaters in Detention (DVD)
It is my hope that this sampler gives viewers who've never been fortunate enough to catch this series here in the States a glimpse of this show & it's fine quality of drama.

EastEnders is a drama centering on the daily lives of working class Londoners along London's East Side. The core families are The Mitchells, The Fowlers & The Slaters. I find this a highly-addictive show.

Some true fans of British television would find this entertaining & engrossing. It was previously shown on BBC America i've heard, but as it was put on at a 1pm time slot, it never stood a fair chance to gain a larger audience here in the US. A shame really, because it deserves to be shown in all of it's splendor. It gained a cult following during it's screenings here. So much so that true, loyal fans who had followed it from BBCA had even boycotted the channel in protest of it's decision to cancel EastEnders from it's line-up.

I will buy whatever EastEnders that comes out. I hope the DVD release in the USA generates a renewed interest & that the series is picked up again in this country.

I believe the DVDs would sell fairly well & rake in great DVD sales. Decide for yourself!

Luckily I can follow the series with continuity as a friend in the UK tapes the show for me.

I would absolutely recommend this DVD! Buy it & enjoy it!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2011 5:53:25 PM PST
to chole i just read your commment about eastenders and you are right they need to bring it back to the usa and bbca, but i see you say you have a friend in the uk who tapes it for you continuity do you think they would tape it for me or would make copies for from the ones she has already taped for you i am willing to pay for it i just need my eastenders i need the past episodes of eastenders like from where alfie stops kat from marrying andy and from then on please can you record them for me i am an eastenders loyal fan and i am so upet that it was cancelled where i live in colorado springs colorado.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2011 10:52:52 PM PST
Chloe says:
Debra - Unfortunately I haven't been in touch with my friend over there in almost a decade. They would record what's referred to as an omnibus on the weekend which was the week's total of episodes in a two hour clip. He'd send them on to me, I'd watch them & resend the tapes when I was done & he'd record the following week & so forth.

Don't lose heart though, I have just gotten back into it as an uploader on YouTube has been posting episodes. I strongly advise you check out EastEnders on YouTube. It's my only way of following the show. I tried getting into Coronation Street, but I just don't like it. EastEnders is so much better in its storytelling & I've been addicted to the show since 2001! :-)

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 12:52:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2012 1:27:53 PM PDT
J. Janssen says:
Just as a little bit of additional info; "eastenders" was a cult show widely referenced in "more serious" Brit TV (Inspector Morse, Midsomer Murders, et. al.). This was Mrs. Lewis' (Sgt. Lewis' wife) favorite "telly" which Morse routinely hauled him away from to go drink beer and "think".

If you love Inspector Morse or Inspector Lewis, you owe it to yourself to at least purchase this slice to see what kept Robby up at night!

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 9:40:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2012 9:40:59 PM PDT
Chloe says:
Thanks for the tip. As I love the quality of british television, I may look into it. I guess it would make sense EastEnders was referenced as a cult show. It's certainly a rather offbeat show, which is its appeal :-)

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 12:08:17 PM PST
tealeaf says:
Hi Chloe:
I agree with you that this show is excellently done! We watch it every Wednesday night on wliw, but there are decades of this show that we would love to see. Are there any dvds online that offer the beginning of the series to present day?
Tealeaf

Posted on May 5, 2014 8:10:58 AM PDT
P. G. Croft says:
'CLASSY'??--------Jeeeeez things must be real bad in your neck of the woods. REAL east end Londoner's get annoyed at being represented as moaning fighting and bickering all the time. There seems to be a murder every week.Their reputation is built on being jovial, carefree in all situations, and always positive. It takes all sorts I suppose . P G Croft UK

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2014 12:25:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2014 12:25:35 PM PDT
Chloe says:
@Tealeaf: Not to date, but you can scour YouTube, virtually much of the series is up over there, so between clips here & there & full episodes by various uploaders, you'll be busy for hours. It wouldn't hurt to drop HULU an e-mail, either, as they've recently acquired the rights to show Coronation Street, Hollyoaks & the australian soap, Neighbours. While they won't go back thirty years, they would pick up current episodes fans could stream. E-mailing them would show them americans are interested in watching these shows. I have a feeling since they've picked up Coronation Street, EastEnders can't be far off. Here's hoping (but I would certainly send 'em an e-mail in the meantime). :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (11 customer reviews)

$24.98 $4.42