3.0 out of 5 stars Nice GPS ANNOYING Pop up ads Buyer Beware, January 14, 2011
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 3790LMT 4.3-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
The 3790lmt is a really nice GPS. There is a lot to like about it. But, there is one HUGE drawback to this unit or other lmt units. If you use the traffic service you will have to deal with pop up ads. Yes, can you believe it? You pay $400-$500 for a nice GPS and you have to tolerate pop up ads. You can't get away from this annoying pop up junk. Internet, cell phone and now your GPS. I had to take away 2 stars from a product that has the potential for 5 stars. Garmin should at least give you the option to see these ads or not and not force them on you. I called Garmin support and was advised not to use the traffic service if I didn't want to see the ads. Excuse me?? The traffic service is one of the main reasons I bought the thing. Had I known about the pop up ads, I would not have purchased. Buyer Beware.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2011 7:24:24 AM PST
S.J QUAN says:
The pop up ads only stay on a short time and many times I didn't get any and they are on the left side out of the way of the map. I have the 1690 and after 2 years you pay for traffic info you don't on the 3790. If the pop up is the only problem you should at least given it a 4.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2011 3:29:43 PM PST
C. Coleman says:
Well perhaps you should actually look at the 3790lmt. The pop up ads appear in the MIDDLE of the screen just above center. The ads stay there as long as you sit still. So if you want to adjust anything on your GPS while sitting still you have to disconnect the traffic service to see what you are doing. You must've missed the HUGE spelled in caps in my review. That means it's a big detractor for me. That means it loses two stars. You can rate it whatever you like. It only deserves 3 stars because Garmin does not disclose the ads in any product description I've ever seen. Pop up ads are extremely annoying to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2011 1:41:41 PM PST
A. Goodman says:
Do you understand that it is the pop up ads that pay for the lifetime traffic? Nothing is free these days. That being said, I don't understand anyone paying over $400 for a GPS these days. But that is just me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2011 2:47:01 PM PST
C. Coleman says:
Yes I do understand now that the ads pay for the lifetime traffic. But that was AFTER the purchase. Nowhere in any product description does garmin disclose that you will have to deal with pop up ads. Who said anything about being free? I thought the reason for the high price was part of the deal for the traffic service. If you pay $400-$500 for a GPS part of that cost should pay for the traffic service. I would not have paid that much for a GPS had I known about the pop up ads before purchase. Why do you think garmin doesn't mention this? They know most people are as sick of pop up ads as I am.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 8:33:50 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2011 2:21:55 PM PST
C. Coleman says:
You are exactly right. I am hung up about pop up ads of any kind. Plus can you think of a better time to adjust or check some info on your GPS than when you're sitting still??? I do hope people use common sense and don't mess with GPS and cellphones when they're moving. I don't. And that's part of my gripe. The time I have when stopped at a light or other traffic situation I don't want to use part of that unplugging the traffic service. Then I have to get it connected again before I start to move. That makes no sense. I also REALIZE the purpose of the traffic service. That's why I bought the thing. I use the traffic service most every time I'm on the road. It would be extremely distracting and inconvenient to have to disconnect and reconnect the traffic service. Why do you think Garmin doesn't mention the pop up ads in any product description?? The cost I paid for the unit should cover the traffic service. That's what's implied. Garmin should disclose BEFORE the purchase that the cost of the unit does not cover the traffic service. They should also disclose that to pay for the traffic service you will be subjected to pop up ads. That's why I say buyer beware. From the product description it appears that the traffic service is part of the cost of the unit. I should have googled it before the purchase. I googled garmin pop up ads and got 1.2 million hits. Sorry pal but these pop up ads are very unpopular and not just with me. You can polish a turd all you want but it's still a turd.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2011 7:33:45 AM PST
Just spoke to Garmin, you can buy the Lifetime Traffic subscription for $49.99. It will disable all the pop up ads. I agree they should have come clean in their marketing literature but at least there is a way around it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2011 8:18:30 AM PST
C. Coleman says:
Thanks Mr. Coleman. That's the most helpful comment so far. When I spoke to Garmin they didn't mention that option. I'll probably check into that. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2011 12:38:59 PM PST
T. Trout says:
Cool. I wondered about that. That was a good software backup plan Garmin built into their unfortunate lack of ethical marketing. Too bad the english language doesn't have a character that represents "half a T" in their Nuvi 3790T and 3790LMT product names !

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2011 12:55:15 PM PST
T. Trout says:
If I was retired and had the time and had a brother-in-law lawyer I'd say Class Action Suit for 49.99 times the number of these "free" traffic units Garmin sold. Heck they should pay the 49.99 and they would if they got enough bad publicity. Hey you could just enter a small claims against Garmin requesting them to pay. I guarantee you they would not show up at the hearing.. No lawyer needed. It goes to small claims if under $500. I remember seeing an old guy on tv that does that a lot. All the lawyers know him and he always wins. In this case it would have to be for principle obviously. Ok thats it from me
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›