Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

1.0 out of 5 stars Fake Otterboxes, January 14, 2012
This review is from: OtterBox Commuter Series Case for iPhone 4/4S - Retail Packaging - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I already own a Otterbox Commuter case for my Iphone 4s and I love it. I purchased the same case in a different color for my boyfriend, and I immediately realized it was a fake. First, the box was halfway open, and the case was backwards in the box. Second, the silicone case was very cheap and flimsy. It did not fit snug around the phone, and the sides were really loose. As a result, the hard case would not snap onto the silicon case, especially on the sides. If you order a case, make sure it is not a fake! Fake cases are "made in China" and you can read the Otterbox symbol through the inside of the outside case. You can also see the seam running along the edges of the silicone case. The hard case is also really pliable. A real Otterbox case is "made in the US" and the silicone case does not have a seam on the edges. You also cannot see the Otterbox symbol through the back of the hard case. I ordered my product from Amazon Prime, assuming I would receive a quality case. I do not know if I would have realized this case was a fake, but since I compared it to my case, I could immediately tell it was of subpar quality. If I wanted a fake case, I would pay way less than 20 dollars for one, however, I do not want to risk dropping my Iphone while it only has the protection of a fake case. Amazon has a great return policy, so I will return this product, and hope that next time I will receive the real product, and not just a cheap imitation. The actual Otterbox will receive four stars from me, but the fake version receives one star.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 28, 2012 10:38:48 PM PST
K. Hall says:
Where it is made is NOT an indication of it being fake. Most Otterbox cases are made in China. It is actually more rare to find one made in the US. Otterbox sources products from the US and China. I have one of the brand new LiveStrong editions of the commuter case and the silicone is made in China and the hard case is made in USA. It is not a fake. Came fresh from Otterbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 10:27:29 AM PST
Qui Mache says:
My boyfriend had two of the exact same case and color: one was made in China, the other was made in the United States. The one in China was the fake one: it felt fake, it looked fake, and it did not fit the phone correctly. I have a commuter case that is made in the United States, also. If it is rare to find one that is made in the US, it's pretty ironic that both me and him both have commuter cases that were made US and that fit perfectly and feel protective.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 3:34:22 PM PST
K. Hall says:
The case you had may indeed have been a fake or maybe not. But like I said, being made in China does not mean it is fake. Otterbox makes their cases in China and the US (perhaps elsewhere too, I don't know). I have heard some say they like the softer feel of the China made silicone and others say they like the firmer feel of the US made silicone. Perhaps they must use different formulas for the silicone at the China factory vs the US factory. I wish they would have a standard so that you could just buy a case and it would be the same durometer rated silicone no matter where it is made. Was it just the silicone part that seemed of lesser quality or was it the hard plastic part too? Were both parts made in China? On mine, the silicone is from China and is very soft and squishy. The hard plastic covering is from the US. The box says "Assembled in the USA"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 2:49:15 PM PDT
Justin says:
My box says "Made in China" and both the silicone and hard plastic case say the same. It seemed to fit the iPod pretty well, though, so I felt safer about taking the iPod with me.

Last week, I fell off my bike onto my right side with the iPod in the case in my back left pocket -- I can't understand how it would have hit the pavement. However, the screen is slightly cracked and no longer functions properly.

I'm out of an iPod and I'm wishing I had gone with a different case.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 10:46:48 AM PST
Audri C. says:
Go on, clock on commuter series. You can see the otterbox symbol through the back of the case, though it can be confusing because it cannot be seen on through the back of the defender series.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 3:41:28 AM PST
I don't think it is an issue of being "fake" or "real." I think the color makes a bigger difference. My friend and I each have (Made in the USA) blue/white Otterbox Commuter cases which are falling apart. I purchased mine on Amazon, and he purchased his in Best Buy. My husband has a black/black Otterbox Commuter case. It is clearly made of different materials. The interior part of his is much squishier (which makes it harder to put his case on again when he needs to take it off) than mine, but the exterior part is less brittle than mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:02:56 AM PST
JasonLifts says:
I've had the same experience. I purchased my first commuter at the beginning of December and immediately noticed how incredibly difficult it was to slip the plastic shell over the silicone. I took it off twice to clean it before the plastic along the base of the screen snapped. Then I took it off a third time for cleaning and cracked the back of it. I contacted Otterbox, sent them pictures, and they sent me a replacement. After receiving it, I looked at both cases and noticed the silicone and plastic were both noticeably different; then I noticed my broken case (and silicone sleeve) were marked "Made in China" and my new case was marked "Made in USA". I then assembled my new case and it slipped together no problem at all. Although I'm happy with my replacement, I'm disappointed that they do not hold their China made cases to the same standard as the US made cases. At the very least, I say charge less for lesser quality!

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 7:51:16 PM PST
K. Sessums says:
It does say Hybrid, that gave me my clue!

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:39:09 PM PST
I purchased the black/black version of this item a few days ago and received it in the mail today. I immediately tried it on my iPhone 4s and was disappointed when it did not fit properly. The silicone insert fits, but when I try to put the plastic shell over it, the plastic buckles out on one side and does not fit tightly to the phone. Both the silicone and outer shell state "Made in China" and I am able to see the Otterbox symbol through the inside of the outer shell. The company has a base in China, so although I don't think I received a fake, I definitely received a case of lesser quality.

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 8:04:18 AM PDT
kelli says:
I didn't read this review until after I left a review of my own. This is the exact problem I had, and sure enough the case I received (black/gray) is labeled "Made in China". However, I have another OtterBox Commuter Series for iPhone 4S (pink/white) and the silicone layer is sturdy and a perfect fit. It's snug and the hard shell fits over it perfectly. This case is also labeled "Made in China". Not risking ordering another one. Returning the case and going back to Incipio cases.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›