1,368 of 1,411 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars I love Roku, but....., August 2, 2011
This review is from: Roku 2 XD Streaming Player 1080p (Electronics)
I love Roku and the whole Roku experience. It allowed me to "cut the cable" and save a good bit of money each month. It gives me plenty of programming, most of it free. It's also adding new channels all the time, about 360 or so at the moment.

I current own the previous Roku XD 2050x and love it. It's not a perfect product, but it's a darn good one.

This review is on my current purchase, the Roku 2 XD. It's not a perfect product either and it's just been released. It's also not quite ready for prime-time, but almost...

There are some differences between the XD and the Roku 2 XD. Most are good, but I do have two gripes. The original XD had both a wired connection and wireless available. I use wireless, but wired can be handy. When I first received my original XD, it wouldn't properly connect with my router. So, I hooked it up with an ethernet cable, which allowed it to receive a quick update. This update fixed the problem and I haven't had any problems since. The wireless worked great.

Now, the new Roku 2 XD only has a wireless connection. If you want a Roku 2 with an available wired connection, then you have to spend 100.00 to go up to the XS. I think this was a bad move on Roku's part. I have no desire to play games on my Roku and I especially don't like "Angry Birds" which is the main selling point of the XS.

My other gripe is that the new Roku 2 XD no longer has the "rewind/replay" button. This neat little button will give you an instant replay of the past several seconds, allowing you to take a look at a movie scene you might have missed or a sports call you might want to replay.

The original Roku XD had this button, but the new Roku 2 XD doesn't have it. Again, if you want this button, then you have to move up to the higher priced XS. Again, another bad call on the part of Roku in my opinion.

As I mentioned previously, I think they might have rushed this product to market a bit too quickly. The main reason is that there are a few common channels (and popular private channels) that won't run on the new XD, while they run fine on the previous generation. Roku is working on the problem and releasing updates, but still, this shouldn't have happened on the scale that it did. For example, currently, Food Network Nighttime won't play at all and all of the NASA programming will actually crash the Roku and cause it to reboot. When the Roku 2 was first released the problems were worse, but the company has been working to correct it. However, with so many glitches at release, they really should have waited to refine the software before releasing it to the public.

Now, I'll move on to a quick list of Pros and Cons for the Roku 2 XD

Pros: 1. Overall faster performance especially in menus
2. Wireless range and signal seems better than the previous models
3. Better looking menus and color schemes
4. Smaller Roku footprint.

Cons: 1. No wired ethernet port on XD and HD, only on the XS
2. No rewind/recall button on remote of XD and HD, only on the XS
3. Seems to run a little warmer than previous models
4. Too much common content (and some private channels) won't work and can possibly crash/reboot the Roku

Overall, it seems as if it'll be a great product, like the previous models, once they work out the glitches.
I do wish they'd have kept the wired ethernet port on the XD at least, as well as the rewind/recall button.

If you have a previous generation Roku XD, stick with it for at least the next couple of months. Hopefully they'll have corrected the video/streaming problems that are plaguing it currently.
Also, if you need a wired ethernet connection, then either stick with or track down a previous generation XD. Otherwise, if you're willing to spend the extra money on the XS, then do it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 6, 2011 4:24:55 AM PDT
I just bought a Roku 2 HD and the remote has both fast forward and rewind buttons that work very well.

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 4:27:24 AM PDT
By the way I have not experienced any crashes. I had one reboot when I channel was loading slowing and I kept clicking the remote. This was the only time it has shown a glitch and I think it was due to me, not the Roku.

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 7:21:53 AM PDT
K. Ghosh says:
I wanted to connect Roku to my Audio Receiver (which doesn't take HDMI), but they took away the Digitial Audio output in new top end model. I don;t mind paying $99 for the top end model but give the features people need. I will go buy the old model when the price drops

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 7:51:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2011 4:35:15 AM PST
That's the less expensive 720p model. This review is for the 1080p model. However, the XD does have the same remote and they recently had the rewind remote on sale for $2.99.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 1:17:22 PM PST
Crystal says:
Thank you for an excellent, informative review. I am waiting for delivery of the Roku 2 HD and would like to know if there's some type of electronic setup with the company Roku that will have to be done which requires a credit card?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 4:38:39 AM PST
Yes. You make an account at Roku.com. You don't need to charge anything to it unless you buy something like a game from them. I have both models, and Angry Birds is addicting. But be aware that to "upgrade" your remote, along with a memory card to play games its $29.99. But there are other things too you may want like subscribe to a vast library of movies for a one time fee of $4.99, about the price of 1 PPV movie.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 10:56:32 AM PST
This was a really helpful review--useful and informative. Thank you for it. But I see that one person pushed the "not helpful" button. Who on earth would do that after reading this? Honestly, there are people out there who, if you handed them a million bucks out of nowhere, would ask why it's not two million.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 3:48:48 PM PST
JSGIT says:
Maybe it was just a missed click. We've all done it at one time or another

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 7:32:13 PM PST
E. Harper says:
AMEN, Gripe, gripe, gripe. Thats all a lot of people want to do. I would like to find 1 box for all though, bluray/dvd record/play. stream and backward compatable 4 use on pc and tv. it b nice. Im looking though, surely somebody has made one. this unit does sound nice though.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 4:19:05 AM PST
I am looking to switch from cable to possibly the Roku 2. The only thing I really want out of my TV is children's programming, one or two network shows and MLB and NFL. Would this device be sufficient? I was recommended google TV, but that looks like overkill to me.

‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (2,493 customer reviews)
 (1,570)