5.0 out of 5 stars A great "Tweener"!, February 10, 2010
This review is from: HP Pavilion DM3-1130US 13.3-Inch Laptop (Silver) (Personal Computers)
The HP Pavilion dm3 1130us (AMD CPU & ATI GPU model) is a good compromise between the portability of a netbook and the functionality of a full sized laptop. Technically in the "Ultra-portable/Thin & Light" category, I would say it is a netbook on steroids. I was looking for a portable computing solution but didn't want a small keyboard or a hard-to-read/small screen. It had to have a small form factor, yet have a more powerful processor and graphics than traditional netbooks. I use it mainly for office work, web surfing, video streaming, music listening and light gaming.

Most of the specs are readily available on Amazon, but you can get a more in-depth overview by going to HP's site and looking up the dm3z line in their Ultra-Portable category. The 1130 is essentially a later production run of the 1030, which is still available on Amazon as of this writing.

Back to what I was looking for;
Basically, I wanted a MacBook but only had about five hundred bucks to spend. I'm a Mac user normally but could not see paying so much for a laptop. I searched high & low and weighed several other options. In this laptop segment and at this price point, it is all about compromise and what you want as an end user. In this end, the 1130us was the best fit for me. I was able to find it on sale for under five hundred on the OfficeMax site and then found a [...] dollar rebate. I used that saving to buy a [...] , and so far that is working perfectly too. I was a little leery about getting an HP since they don't have the best reliability reputation, but I would expect more problem reports from a company that sells so many computers. My mother-in-law has a 3 year old Pavilion that still runs like new.

What I like about it:

1. It's fast, faster than I expected. Initial set-up was a snap. The 1.6GHz AMD Athon Neo X2 dual-core processor and ATI Mobility Radeon HD3200 graphics see to that. Perhaps not the best combo for intense Photoshop sessions or cutting edge 3D gaming, but I have several apps and browser windows open at once with no system slowdowns. Online video from various sources streams just fine and I've played a number of games (including Star Wars Battlefront) with no issues. The AMD cpu and ATI gpu combo uses more wattage than the Intel option, but I think you would sacrifice computing power for battery life if you went the Pentium or Core Duo route.

1b. 7200 RPM 320GB Hard Drive. Did I say it was fast? And spacious.

2. The screen. It is glossy, but not as bad as some and it is nice and bright. 13.3" w/ a 1366x768 widescreen resolution means things are a bit smaller than on a standard desktop monitor, but everything is nice and crisp and the colors are good. It seems much bigger. HD content looks great on it and the viewing angle isn't bad. I had a stuck pixel, but it went away. The lid opens about 135 degrees back so you can easily work with it on your lap. It has a nice firm hinge so there are no worries of it falling one way or the other.

3. Wi-Fi draft N. I've only had fast and excellent connectivity so far. Having bluetooth is nice too, but I've yet to use it.

4. Windows 7, not a cobbled Started Edition. Coming from OSX, I have to say I'm growing more and more impressed with the latest Windows OS. It seems to have more intricacies than with OSX, but I'm getting used to it and have to say the user interface is top notch. Before this, I've used XP and am so glad that Microsoft has finally refined their product. Connect a device for the first time and either the drivers are already there or they download automatically. Nice. Lots of eye candy too.

5. Touch pad. Some reviewers pan it, but I find it works well for me after a slight learning curve. Sure, it is the only fingerprint magnet on an otherwise lovely case, but I like the feel of the shiny chrome finish and find the multi-finger gestures useful. The "mouse-buttons" could be a little easier to depress, but that is a small quibble, just tap the pad. It is also very customizable to your specific needs. The 1030us touch pad had some wake-from-sleep issues, but that was fixed in the latest BIOS. I also use a [...] but have no problems adjusting to the touch pad if I leave mouse at the office.

6. 4 USB, 5-in1 card reader, 1 VGA, and 1 HDMI port. Connectivity ahoy!

7. Full sized keyboard. It took a little adjustment, but I like the quiet, island style keys. When in the proper position, I can type just as fast as with my desktop's keyboard. I measured it, and it is slightly LARGER than my G5's primary keyboard area!

8. The case. This is one sturdy feeling case with little or no flex that I can detect. You can hold it by a corner without fear. I love that it isn't a finger print magnet like so many others out there. The brushed aluminum finish is very attractive and gives it a high-end appearance.

9. It came with 4GB DDR2 ram, expandable to 8GB. With the 64bit OS, I could do this, but see no need to at the present time.

10. Cool. Even after all day use the air blowing out of the rear side exhaust vent is only slightly warm. The front wrist rests can get a little warm, but never uncomfortable (at least to me).

11. Quiet. If a completely silent room you can hear the faint breath of the fan, but otherwise it and the spinning hard drive are unnoticeable.

12. Well packaged. There are no disks included, but the manual and documentation are pretty clear.

13. Price. Find this on sale and you've got yourself one heck of a deal!

What's not so great about it:

1. It is about 13" wide and weights about nearly 5 pounds with the battery inserted. For me that's no big deal but if you plan to lug your laptop around a lot, you may want to look at something smaller and lighter. It is only one inch thick so it slides easily into most bags.

2. Speakers. You know going in that they won't be that great, but I still couldn't help being a little disappointed. However, I tweaked the sound settings and get decent output now, though not very loud. It does the job though. Use earphones. I connected it to my speakers with a subwoofer and Pandora radio sounds terrific!

3. Battery life. I get about 4 hours of constant general use life out of it. Another reviewer stated he was able to play the entire Fellowship of the Ring movie before it went into hibernation, but I have not tested that. The good news is that 4 hours is still decent, and the power cord isn't too cumbersome. If you need an all-day, cord-free laptop/netbook, look elsewhere.

4. Some bloatware. Being new to Windows I researched what to do when you first get a computer. One of the most common recommendations is to remove the manufacturer installed software. I got rid of the MS Office trial and Norton. I'll still playing around with the suite of HP software. I may keep some, but will probably ditch a good bit of it. However, some users may like the included software. Even with it, the 1130us is a speedy customer.

5. No optical drive, but I knew that and won't need one every day. The Samsung will also be useful for my other computers.

6. No OS restore disk. I know, there is no optical drive and there is a recovery partition, but it still would have been nice.

7. Possible fit and finish issues. I just noticed a very slight gap along the top right front edge where the wrist wrest meets the side paneling. Pressing down on it does reveal a little flex. Not enough to return it, but it is worth keeping an eye on and could be cause for concern. It is too early to tell. (see my product photos)

I have not used the Quickweb feature, but Windows 7 boots up (after some re-configuration) in less than a minute so I'm not sure I'd need it. I've also not yet used the HDMI out port or webcam. I plan to test both soon and have heard that the webcam is good in low light. I've only been using the 1130us for a little over a week so I can't speak to its long-term reliability, but so far so good. I'll post an update if I have anything new to add.

So, is the dm3 1130us the right model for you? If you are not a 3D gamer and want a nice looking, sturdy, portable laptop without most of the limitations of a netbook, then the answer could be "yes". Of course, technology is changing rapidly and in a few months the next latest and greatest will be out. But if you need something now, and want a lot of oomph at a great value, then the dm3 1130us could be your best bet. It exceeds my expectations at a price point other laptops couldn't match, so that is why I'm giving it 5 (4 1/2 actually) stars.

UPDATE-March 30, 2011: It is over a year later and I'm still loving this little machine. No major issues. Yes, the left palm rest can get a bit warm, but I've never had it become uncomfortably so. It still does everything I need it to with little fuss.

UPDATE-June 09, 2011: The DM3-1130US is still going strong. My wife has taken over this computer when it's at home. During they day it gets put through it's paces playing Pandora with other web-related activities. Word processing too. At night she often likes to bring it to bed to watch videos on YouTube and catch up on email. She sometimes is frustrated with the trackpad, but that's about it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 16, 2010 1:13:50 PM PST
dr says:
how does it compare to the Thinkpad Edge, which uses the same CPU and sells for the same price?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 1:48:11 PM PST
Kort says:
Well, I don't have access to an Edge, so it is a hard to say for sure. It looks like a great computer though

But on spec, the Edge has:

1) spill resistant keyboard
2) black and red case choices
3) ThinkVantage® Technologies, if that matters to you
4) Lenovo trackpoint
5) matte screen, but only on the mid-range (more $) model
6) slightly lighter at 3.6 lbs.
7) Win7 Pro rather than Home ed.

The dm3 1130us has:

1) nice brushed metal case
2) 2GB more RAM standard
3) faster and larger 320GB 7200RPM hard drive
4) 6 cell vs 4 cell battery in base Lenovo (probably about the same life though)
5) processor 1.6GHz versus 1.5GHz in Lenovo
6) 4 instead of 3 USB ports
7) Bluetooth
8) separate headphone and microphone jacks

Aside from that, they actually look quite similar on spec. Both have good keyboards and screens. There are probably a lot of similar parts being used under the hood. Performance tests (on Cnet) put the Lenovo close to or just behind the dm3 line.

Looking around though, the cheapest I see the base model edge going for is 579. With rebate, my 1130us cost 450. I think that makes it a better value.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 1:57:16 PM PST
dr says:
at $450, it is significantly less expensive than the Edge.
Lenovo is selling the Edge with discount for $550, significantly more than $450.
that explains it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 2:08:42 PM PST
dr says:
CNET says Edge has the very best keyboard of any portable they have seen or used, but that $100 difference is quite a cost for the excellent keyboard, even if you do agree with their judgement.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 2:45:19 PM PST
dr says:
at $450, you got an absolutely fabulous deal on HP, HP is pricing it at much more now!!
Edge comes with 1 mgb CPU cache, and is lighter, but Lenovo wants $100 more than what you paid.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 7:39:31 AM PST
Kort says:
Yes, the Edge has the 1MB cache versus the 512 on the HP. Slightly faster processor in the HP though so I guess it evens out.
Overall I'm very happy with it. It has handled all I've thrown at it so far with no problems. I even did some 3D gaming and the frame rate was excellent.
The keyboard on this HP has also gotten very good reviews, and I have to agree that the key feel and "island style" design makes it very easy to type on. So I don't feel that I'm missing much by not getting the Edge, though I am sure it is slightly better. Certainly not $100 better though! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 7:57:48 AM PST
Kort,
you got a super deal on your HP!!
The Thinkpad Edge is a different deal in ways which may not be too obvious. I don't what they are doing with the silver edge, red color, etc.,
but Thinkpad up until recently was a business machine, frequently used for aggressive business traveling, which can be very, very hard on portable computers.
The Trackpoint, etc. the keyboard. Thinkpads were made for business text and data entry, business graphics, and manipulation mostly, to be robust business machines, not computer gaming, not fun and games,
really very different from consumer computers.
I have an old HP portable also and the keyboard is absolutely super, in fact precisely like the Thinkpad keyboard, except without the Trackpoint, which I wish I had on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 8:23:17 AM PST
Kort says:
dr, yes, I am aware that Lenovo's (once IBM's) Thinkpad line was initially intended for business applications. Lines are blurring these days, laptops such as these two should be able to handle most types of use. Perhaps an exec on the road wants to play a game when he's in the hotel at night, or at least perhaps stream some videos. :) I think with the new Edge series, Lenovo is trying to go a bit more mainstream. Business grade computers cost more, period. You can't make a tougher machine without spending a bit more money on compents, materials and the right manufacturing.
I have a business associate, and while he uses his W500 for business purposes, he's also an avid gamer and has it loaded with some of the latest, cpu/gpu demanding games. It handles them quite well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2010 8:57:02 AM PST
dr says:
SOME Thinkpad portables have come down in price enormously from what they were, especially when IBM was making them. And they are trying to give them broader appeal to make them more attractive to business people who like to play computer games, watch HD videos, red and white computers, silver edges, the whole consumer thing. Lenovo also realizes that many people would like to use their computers for more than one purpose.
But the Thinkpads are not PRIMARILY game machines, and should not be judged by their gaming abilities.
Consumers never appreciated Thinkpad, and in fact Consumers Reports never, or almost never even tested or recommended them.
The big difference now is that they are available with some consumer amenities, such as white, red, and silver, etc. and some gaming and video amenities.
But the really big difference is that some Thinkpads are now much more price competitive with purely consumer computers, much more accessible to a much wider market because basically Lenovo's pricing and marketing strategy changed from the old days when Thinkpads were essentially just much too expensive for many people to buy.
It is no longer true, I don't think, that the buyer is paying an exorbitant price for the Thinkpad concept and name.
On the other hand, some of the more popularly priced thin and lite Thinkpads, like the X100e, don't seem to be the same robustness and features as the X200, for example. But the price on the x100e is also less than one half the cost of the entry level X200. Given the rapid depreciation of portables due to technological innovation. The lower price on the x100e may not be such a bad deal for them, especially in the dual core configuration, when it comes out soon. Ditto the Edge. Same concept.

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 6:59:46 AM PST
Ann_Away says:
Shoot, this was VERY helpful when I first read it, but now I don't know which computer it refers to, since I've seen it associated with two versions and it doesn't make any distinction between the older and newer versions.  Have they improved the touchpad?  What changes HAVE they made between the older and newer versions that would explain the upgrade and justify the difference in price??
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (35 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $300.00