5.0 out of 5 stars Great Dive Watch!!!, May 11, 2011
This review is from: Metric Citizen Eco-Drive Aqualand with Dive Log - 20th Anniversary Model (Watch)
I bought this watch ahead of a trip down to Mexico where I was going to get my Open Water PADI certification. It has a great combination of functionality and style. It is a little on the heavy side but it looks sharp and has plenty of functionality on dry land. Once you get the hang of the button functions it is very intuitive.
When you hop in the water it automatically activates the dive mode which is nice when you are busy holding onto other things like a camera and your regulator. It goes from dive ready 1 to its mode where it records information on your dive. You can set alarms for maximum depth and maximum underwater time - I found it helpful on my deeper dives.
The watch automatically holds information on a ton of dives - it records the deepest depth, the total time underwater (below 1 meter), temperature, time of day at start of the dive, and date of dive - it helped when I was filling out my dive book for the first time. During the dive it shows the depth on the function hand AND in the LCD readout. The minute hand shows the time of the dive which is also displayed in the LCD window. I was surprised at how brightly the watch hands glowed underwater. It was great to be able to watch it and practice my buoyancy - the depth gauge is VERY accurate - I tested it against my dive master's dive computer.
The watch also goes crazy when you ascend too quickly from depth which was scary when I was practicing my emergency ascents but was very helpful when we were ending the dive. It beeps and flashes a red LED and says "SLOW".
The watch does surface intervals as well - it will let you know when 24 hours pass from your last dive for flying... I am certain there are a lot more functions that I just haven't figured out yet - all in due time.
All of the fun stuff above AND the fact that it charges in the sun made this a great purchase for me. This is not a replacement for a full dive computer, but it is a great backup/alternative source of info during your dive.
I can't wait to go diving again - but until I do, I will be sporting the watch...

About some of the complaints about the moisture sensor triggering dive mode - they must be REALLY sweaty people (no offense) - I was down in Mexico and it was totally fine. It didn't even trigger when I was showering off - I literally had to submerge the watch for it to be triggered to the dive 1 mode.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]