4.0 out of 5 stars Great bag with a few annoyances, July 29, 2010
This review is from: Timbuk2 Classic Messenger Bag 2013 (Sports)
Pros:
Simple, compact design
Good organization pockets
Weatherproof lining
Quick access pocket
Sewn in shoulder strap for good stability
Small size is great for 13" MacBook Pro

Cons:
Velcro closure
No grab strap
No laptop sleeve

I was looking for a bag to haul my MacBook Pro 13" and work papers to and from my work. I wanted something compact, light, and comfortable and in a fairly conservative color. The small Timbuk2 Classic fit the bill. I really like this bag, although there are a few additional features I wish it had. I tried out this bag as well as the Timbuk2 D-lux, Timbuk2 Commuter, and Patagonia Half Mass in a local store before deciding on the small Timbuk2 classic.

===========PROS===========
1. Design. Simple bag. Weather proof lining. Organization pockets on inside for your iPod, phone, keys, pens, etc. Has a quick release extension to ease getting it on, but I don't find that I every need to use it with the small bag. adding it

2. Size. The small Timbuk2 is the perfect width for a MacBook Pro 13" and 8.5x11 inch papers without a lot of extra room on the sides for things to jostle around or get lost in the bottom. There isn't much extra room after putting in a laptop and few textbooks, but I found that the weight of the full small bag is about as much as I would want to carry in a messenger bag that puts most of the weight on one shoulder. The medium sized bag seemed to be a big step up in size and was too bulky for me. For days when I need more room, like for workout clothes, I just bring a second bag rather than carry around extra room with me every day. (If you have large bulky, but relatively light, items to carry around then you may want the medium or large bag.)

3. Neapolitan Pocket. So handy to have a pocket you can access without opening the bag. Enough said.

4. Divider. A pleasant surprise here. I was disappointed that the divider was not suitable for my laptop (see below) and had considered cutting the darn thing out of the bag. However, now I find myself using it all the time! It is a great for storing papers/reports so they are both protected and easily accessible. Sit down on the subway...pull out a report. Super!

5. The Shoulder Strap. The strap sewn in along both sides of the bag and is not removable. Having the sturdy wide strap sewn gives the bag a lot of stability. Bags with straps that clip on, swivel and pivot at the point of attachment. This bag doesn't wobble like that.

===========CONS===========
1. Velcro. The Timbuk2 bag has both clips and velcro for securing the flap. I hate the velcro. It is unnecessary because it already has clips, but worse it is noisy. I am reluctant to open the bag during a meeting because of the loud rIIIIpping sound it will create. There is no discrete way to open this bag. (Note: The velcro closure could be negated covering it with a velcro hook strip which I will do at some point.)

2. No grab strap. Other than the shoulder strap, there is no handle on the bag. I often find myself grabbing for a handle on the top of the bag which doesn't exist. You can get a grab handle if you build a custom Timbuk2 bag on their website, but you pay twice as much for the bag.

3. No laptop sleeve. Although the bag has a built-in divider which fits the MacBook Pro perfectly, only the inside side is padded (see my video). There is no padding on the outside or bottom of the divider. This means that if you set down your bag hard on the floor, you run the risk of damaging your laptop. I just use my existing neoprene sleeve with my laptop. It is too bulky to fit into the divider, but is quite secure in the main compartment of the bag. (Note: the D-Lux version does have a padded laptop sleeve. See my discussion on other bags below for why it didn't work for me)

===========Other bags I considered===========
Timbuk2 D-Lux: It has a padded laptop sleeve (although I wasn't impressed by the padding at the bottom of the sleeve), but it doesn't come in black which was a deal breaker for me. I also didn't like the modular organization system which attaches via velcro to the inside of the bag; the pockets weren't as securely attached to the bag which makes getting things in and out of the pockets more difficult.

Patagonia: What I really liked about this bag was that the padded laptop sleeve does not touch the bottom of the bag, the sleeve was a bit bulky and was oddly attached to the inside of the bag. Also the construction of the bag didn't feel as solid.

Timbuk2 Commuter: A bigger bag than the small Timbuk2 Classic, but with more functionality. It has a cool laptop case that flips out to be TSA compliant (i.e. you don't have to take the laptop out of the bag). It also has a grab handle (yeah!) and no velcro on the flap. It was 2nd on my list, but in the end I decided it was bigger than necessary for my daily commute. The laptop case is made to fit a 15" laptop although it my 13" didn't move around too much. I didn't like the detachable shoulder strap with swivel straps as much; I prefer the sewn in shoulder strap of the Timbuk2 Classic. However, this would be a great bag for airline travel as if gives a little more room than the Timbuk2 Classic and the TSA compliant laptop compartment. I may end up buying this as a second bag for traveling.

[...]

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2010 6:02:52 PM PDT
nutjob says:
Here is a simple solution to the velcro issue: buy some velcro ribbon that fits the width of the strips on the bag. Cut to size and apply. This disables the velcro and the embarrassing sound. Cost approx $2-$3.

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 6:29:15 PM PST
B. Bowling says:
Before you go with the Commute 2.0 for a second bag, you might want to do some research on the annoying squeak issue that it seems like a lot of people are having.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 6:49:25 PM PST
nutjob says:
I haven't noticed any squeaking, where does it come from?

Posted on Mar 7, 2011 12:06:44 PM PST
B. Speer says:
Hats off to you nice review. All your ups or downs well explained. Funny how so many comments from others do not even mention the size chosen. Size makes a difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 4:36:37 AM PDT
JosMaple says:
Even simpler hold a lighter to the fluffy side of the velcro - partially melt the hoops for less stick - This way you can completely stop its function or only slightly.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 5:58:34 AM PDT
J. Cullen says:
@JosMaple
Clever, and more permanent, solution. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 10:41:36 AM PDT
lily says:
so did you actually try to put the macbook pro 13" inside the d-lux (size small)'s padded sleeves? does it fit? because on the timbuk2 website it says it doesn't... and i really only want a size small!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 8:10:16 AM PDT
J. Cullen says:
It has been more than a year since I tried them out, but as I recall the 13" did fit. Maybe they have changed their design since then?

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 9:38:37 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:12:00 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 19, 2013 11:49:32 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (477 customer reviews)

$89.00 $44.95 - $59.99