The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Not the "upgrade" I was hoping for, October 12, 2010
This review is from: Flip MinoHD Video Camera - Black, 8 GB, 2 Hours (3rd Generation) (Camera)
FLIP video has done a great deal to prove to me as a repeat customer that they heavily weigh simplicity and ease of use when designing their products. My family owns two FLIP camcorders and it is clear to me that the previous version:

-Flip MinoHD Video Camera - Brushed Metal, 8 GB, 2 Hours (2nd Generation) OLD MODEL

is a much better value for the money as I do not believe the minor updates on this "new" model warrant a $70 plus price increase (a nearly 50% premium!!!!)

The new generation has maintained the small size and easy use of the second generation. They have added a new sensors and image stabilization to 720p video at 60fps. (Second gen-720p 30fps)

I bought the 2nd generation flip minoHD (ASIN: B002R5AM7C) as a present for myself and my family to use for many different applications. The kids have used it for making YouTube videos with their friends. We have used it to record Birthdays, Christmas and many other random filmable occasions all with great results. It has become a favorite of all of the members of my family and me.

My son recently moved away to college and I decided to give the second generation family minoHD to him for school. Conveniently for our Flip-Lacking family, the new 3rd generation minoHD just came out so I ordered it to replace the second generation.

I would be kidding myself if I did not acknowledge that the new features do add some recording benefits but the basis of this review is that my family and I have decided that these improvements just ARE NOT worth the extra $70.

The recording quality is still 720p; the fps increase is hardly noticed. I would feel much better about the price increase if 1080p recording had been incorporated but with the newest round of cell phones producing HD video now, FLIP needs to give us more upgrade for the money.

For now, IMO, the 2nd generation Flip minoHD is a much better value.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Oct 20, 2010 11:14:22 PM PDT
Ronald, thanks for being a loyal Flip customer; we truly appreciate your business. We wanted to take this opportunity to shed some additional light on the enhanced features of our new 3rd Generation MinoHD video camera. The 3rd Gen MinoHD provides significant improvements in video quality, which creates video that is clearer and steadier than before. This new MinoHD has a electronic gyro that adjusts the frames captured from the sensor to greatly reduce shake that can occur from slight hand movement. The benefit of the algorithm that Flip uses with the gyro is that it measures true movement of the camera, not the movement of objects within the frame. This makes for a more consistent and smoother video capture. In addition, the 3rd Gen MinoHD records 720p video at 60 frames per second (fps), which is twice as many fps, making for smoother movement in sports- or action-oriented video. Also, because the new video features twice as many frames per second, you'll likely find more still image shots you will want to capture using the Snapshot feature in the FlipShare software.

Prior to releasing our new products, our engineers spent a lot of time investigating 1080p vs. 720p video to determine which resolution would provide the highest-quality video viewing and sharing experience. The challenge with 1080p video from any video camera is that most PCs do not have the processing power to play back 1080p video without significant shuddering in the playback. This makes for an almost unwatchable video on the PC in most cases . This issue is made even worse when you want to upload or share videos via the web or email. This is why we have chosen to continue capturing HD video in 720p. For all forms of sharing over the web, we optimize the video for high-quality playback while avoiding large file uploads or downloads for the person who receives your videos. We feel confident that our new line of video cameras feature our best-ever HD video and that our enhanced FlipShare software allows users to maximize how they organize, edit and share their videos.

Finally, we'd like to point out that MinoHD 3rd Generation is available in 2 hour and 1 hour configurations at suggested retail prices (SRPs) of $229.99 and $179.99 respectively. The 2nd Gen MinoHD 2 Hour was also released at $229.99 SRP before the 3rd Generation product was released, so you are able to take advantage of a price discount on the old version while supplies last. One consideration might be to buy the new MinoHD 1 Hour product and get all the features of the new 2 Hour product for $50 less in the 1 Hour configuration. We hope this has answered your questions.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2010 9:26:21 PM PDT
Jesaro says:
I have the 2nd generation Flip that I just bought from Costco four months ago. I typically use it to shoot videos of my two young boys - ages 5 and 2 - and our loony toon dogs. This 3rd generation Flip looked really appealing because of the image stabilization feature. Since you own(ed) both, do you think that the improvement of the image stabilization feature would be beneficial considering my subjects and their inability to sit still? I haven't found myself saying "gee, I really wish that wasn't as blurry," so maybe ignorance is bliss? I am not much of a video "techie," so fps really isn't that big of a deal to me and it won't matter to me in 20 years when I am watching videos of my kids.

A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Posted on Oct 20, 2010 11:14:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2010 11:15:48 PM PDT

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 10:43:31 AM PDT
After reading your comment I was wondering why it is all based on pc what about mac's we can handle the higher 1080p, should you not make a model for those computers which can handle the larger? Also the slide version would be great if it had stabilization why doesn't it?
I have a first generation hd flip and I am trying to decide on what is best for my second purchase but it seems as if there are some great improvements in each one but not the whole package in one flip. Why don't you have stablization, 4 hours and the 1080 in one slim proto type. For those of us who want it all? Or is there going to be a new model coming out soon that will address this area. One more thing the slide's screen is not as clear to look through which is a turn off.

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 10:44:49 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 12:40:02 PM PDT
Hi Jessica,

I wanted to respond to a few of the points you have made:

->We did test 720p and 1080p video on Macs as well as PCs, and we found some of the same shuddering issues on 1080p playback on both Macs and PCs.

->Image stabilization is a feature of our newest video camera products. We have made this enhancement in large part because consumers have been asking for this feature. If you are interested in a Flip video camera that does feature image stabilization, we recommend our new UltraHD 2 Hour (3rd Generation) or MinoHD 2 Hour or 1 Hour (3rd Generation) video camera products.

->For future models, we are always looking for opportunities to enhance our products. We will continue to innovate in future generations of Flip products.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2010 1:17:07 PM PDT
Holmwood says:
Matt,
Thanks for posting your polite and helpful comments. I remain bemused by the 1080p vs 720p argument -- even my netbook plays 1080p smoothly let alone my PC's -- but I concede I'm probably not representative.

Nowhere is it really clear in the description what advantages the 3rd generation offers; you mentioning the gyro/accelerometer hardware is therefore very helpful. (The 60fps vs 30 is for me a yawner, but I agree for people filming sports it would be great).

One comment: it would be nice if Flip specified what CODEC is used; I assume it's almost certainly H.264. (Simply saying MP4 tells us little as that's just a container format). Granted, a techie point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 11:32:07 PM PST
Kevin Irwin says:
The Product Description says it uses H.264.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2010 10:05:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2010 10:06:10 AM PST
Mike Testa says:
Matt, as a stockholder, I certainly hope Cisco is paying attention to a/v advances. Today's world (mine) includes a 63-inch 3DTV and a 3D DVR. Both of them enable me to view 1080P content directly or indirectly from an almost limitless variety of sources, via built-in and customizable widgets. My Mac also shows none of the lag you described, and in fact I transmit 1080p content wirelessly from my Mac (as a media server) to my tv.

So rather than upgrade from my existing Flip to one of the new line of Flips, I'll see if there are any other brands available to meet my needs. Otherwise I'll just wait until manufacturers catch up. Either way, you won't get any revenue from me right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2010 3:23:31 AM PST
You guys are boring in your defense of outrageous prices for your little camera. I have two Flips also and I see no need to spend that kind of money and get a one-hour, please. That's ridiculous. Other people are doiing 1080p and doing it well. Flip's not been the same since Cisco took it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2010 3:25:14 AM PST
Why are others able to offer the 1080p without all these suddering problems? You need to go back to the original designers of the Flip. It hasn't been the same since Cisco bought it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›