Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware not all sellers providing genuine Canon batteries, August 14, 2010
This review is from: Canon LP-E8 Battery Pack for Canon Digital Rebel T2i and T3i Digital SLR Cameras (Retail Package) (Electronics)
I paid $56 for what I thought was an OEM battery (manufactured by Canon). The battery pack I received appeared to be genuine, except for the following characteristics:

1. The battery strength meter in the camera goes from fully charged (all bars) to a flashing red "change battery" icon with no reduction in bars. This is an indicator that the battery pack is not genuine Canon.
2. The battery pack only lasts ~200 pictures with flash (the OEM pack lasts something like 450).
3. The writing on the pack is blurry and not as dark as the OEM battery.
4. The seam of the case on my battery has some warbles at the seam; the OEM battery does not.

Caveat Emptor (buyer beware)!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 22, 2010 8:43:25 AM PDT
Mike C. says:
Hi, just curious who you bought your battery from?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2010 5:13:17 PM PDT
W. Stohler says:
Digi Acc. They have refunded my $ and a credit for return shipping and have asked for the product to be returned as they claim to not be aware of receiving 2nd party goods. A final note: The date code on the battery is 200912, which seems really odd, as the Canon Rebel T2i (550D) was not introduced until 8 February 2010. The OEM battery has a date code of 201004.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2010 6:59:56 PM PDT
Mike C. says:
Yeah, the date thing seems kind of fishy...I wondered how some of these "official" Canon products could be so cheap...We'll see when I get mine...Thanks for the info.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 10:14:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2010 10:44:17 PM PDT
Darrell says:
I just got a non-genuine one too! It too also has the date code 200912. My purchase was fulfilled by "MZ Photo". My OEM battery has the date code 201006. I will be contacting them now to see if they too will refund me. I will update this comment on the outcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2010 11:18:11 PM PDT
Zetau says:
As of now (late OCT 2010), this battery lists that it is manufactured by Canon, and sold by Amazon. Amazon is a very unique retailer. Things change fast.

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 9:17:44 PM PDT
Erik H says:
Wow, I ordered a battery March 17th, 2011 and THIS STILL HAPPENED TO ME. Trying to return it now.

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 10:46:11 AM PDT
K. Ketefian says:
I recently got the same non-genuine battery from seller "HD Camcorders & More" and have just returned it. Same issues as pointed out above: blurry writing, dated 2009, and worst of all it got stuck in my camera when I put it in and I had to use pliers to gently pull it out.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2011 2:23:48 PM PDT
I just posted my 1 star review and pictures of real vs fake I received (May 2011). Amazon itself was the seller. For $44 bucks I expected REAL CANON.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2011 2:49:23 PM PDT
Zetau says:
@Jane
I hope you are planning to return it.

Posted on May 25, 2011 2:01:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2011 5:20:56 AM PDT
Scott says:
Same thing happened to me, "different" seller (I expect a seller using many names). Battery didn't fit unless forced, and while a very good fake, didn't 100% match what you could get at legit retailer... or work right.

By the way, these fakes have been known to explode, potentially hurting you and causing damage to your expensive camera. Also, the money you pay is often going to fund crime & terror operations. Either pick a good, trusted non-OEM battery for less or buy an OEM battery from a better source. Amazon doesn't seem to care, in spite of all the complaints.

Buyer beware!