Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL

1.0 out of 5 stars Batteries leaked, ruined camera, October 11, 2010
This review is from: Duracell Coppertop AA Batteries, 20-Count (Health and Beauty)
Picked up a pair of Duracell AA batteries on a vacation when my rechargeables died. The batteries started leaking after about two months of light use in the camera, and the clear liquid that came out couldn't all be cleaned from the camera, which now refuses to turn on with new batteries despite it being in near perfect condition otherwise.

I am in the market for a new camera... and I don't plan to buy Duracell again (I'll remember an extra set of rechargeables next time).

- - -

Edit, 12/14/2010:

I have gotten a bit of flack for putting a negative review on these batteries (just 1 out of 5 helpful, which is pretty typical when putting a negative review on Amazon). My review is to note that I got a lemon product. I realize it is probably rare, and there are plenty of folks who review the batteries who got a good set. But so long as there are lemons, there should be an occasional negative review on a product.

Reviews are almost entirely based on anecdotal evidence. Some folks happen to get a bad product (a lemon), so we rate the product we got, not the product we might have gotten. Other folks who purchased a good product (not a lemon) do the same. Looking at all the reviews, you get an overall impression of the integrity and utility of the product.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 23, 2010 10:50:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2010 10:51:45 PM PDT
Just a thought about your battery leak incident. I have used duracell batteries for over 25 years. I have had excellent results with them. I am disappointed about your bad experience and thought you might find the following link useful.
It explains why batteries leak - often related to heat. If you purchased batteries from a place that stored them in the heat or if the batteries were shipped in the summer and left out in extreme heat, that could be the culprit - not just that they are duracell brand. Best of luck - there are a lot of really great digital cameras out there, hope you find exactly what you are looking for!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2010 5:56:55 AM PDT
David says:
Hi William, thanks for your note.

I doubt it was stored in extreme heat since the batteries were purchased in Vancouver where it doesn't get too warm. I would agree they are probably just a bad set (a lemon) but -- as you probably guess -- I rate the product I get, not what the product might have been. So I had to rate this one very poorly since it ruined a $125 camera.

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 8:25:29 AM PST
S. Velasquez says:
what does you buying two batteries have to do with....Duracell Coppertop AA Batteries, 20-Count sold buy Amazon? I have never had a problem with fresh batteries bought from amazon and have kept them for years in a drawer until needed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 8:30:04 AM PST
David says:
S.V., do you think Duracell makes different batteries for different numbered packs?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2011 3:36:03 PM PST
W. Givens says:
I have had some Duracell leaks recently also; almost ruined a lantern after not much usage.
Duracell has a guarantee - found in, at end of battery storage and disposal section.

If you're not completely satisfied with a Duracell product, contact us.
All of our batteries are guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship. Should any device be damaged by these batteries due to such defects, we will either repair or replace it if it is sent with the batteries. Send with postage prepaid to:

Duracell,Berkshire Corporate Park, Bethel, CT, 06801 Att: Consumer Dept..

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 8:27:41 AM PST
Meg Sweiver says:
Reviews are very important to me. I never purchase a product without reading the reviews first. I will also admit that I have a habit of checking out the one star reviews in particular because these are the ones which identify specific problems that my hard earned dollars may be investing in. Thank you very much for posting this review and please don't let anybody bully ya to keep your mouth shut! Your review in particular taught me to be careful where I buy batteries in addition to keeping current with which battery manufacturers are (at least currently) producing the ones worth investing in.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 6:24:52 PM PST
I just wanted to reply to your post with a link to the page on Duracell's site that contains this information, since it took me almost 20 minutes to find it for myself:

I was pretty surprised to see this information, and for me it's just one more reason to keep using Duracell batteries for many of my electronics.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 11:05:05 AM PDT
Cheyenne5203 says:
Purchased a 20pack from Lowe's Home Improvement (5 years remaining on date), and most were duds. Returned, and given a fresh new pack without any argument. New pack all worked good. Duracell Guarantee's their batteries.

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 9:10:53 PM PDT
Koinu says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:49:04 PM PST
Cheryl G. says:
They probably don't want to take a chance! I know I wouldn't. I ordered this & was very pleased, but if I got a lemon, I would not buy it again.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›