5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED: RECIEVED RANCID OIL, March 24, 2011
This review is from: La Tourangelle Avocado Oil, 16.9-Ounce Tins (Pack of 2) (Grocery)
I recieved this oil last week and it is rancid. It smells and tastes like rotten tomatos or avacados and there is no way I could eat this on any type of salad. Both cans arrived in perfect condition and neither are near the expiration date on the bottle. I recommend purchasing from a local retailer so it can be taken back if its rancid. Its too much of a gamble buying from Amazon when you cannot return food items. Lesson learned.

UPDATE 04/05/2011: After reading so many reviews about how good this product was I contacted La Tourangelle through their email system and told them about the situation and asked how this avocado oil was supposed to taste. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to taste the way it did or not. I didn't ask for replacements or anything because I know a lot of companies will not back their product if sold by Amazon. That is not the case with La Tourangelle. I was contacted by Diane through email about a week later asking for the batch numbers. I gave them and didn't hear anything back, until today. About an hour ago UPS delivered a box that contained two large cans of oil; one can of Avocado oil and one can of Hazelnut oil. I was so surprised because I didn't even remember giving them my address, but now recall it was required on their email submission form. At any rate La Tourangelle went above and beyond and they will be getting my business in the future, but only in a B&M store or through their website. That is the only place I can recommend anyone buy these products because Amazon will not take back food items.

As far as the oil, the new Avocado oil tastes like real Avocados with no rancid taste or smell and the Hazelnut is out of this world. I plan to try them all out now, from the La Tourangelle website. Companies that go above and beyond will always get my business because they actually care about their product. Thank you La Tourangelle!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 30, 2011 1:26:48 AM PDT
L. Cheng says:
Oh that sucks! i was just going to order this oil from amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 11:40:03 AM PDT
Actually Amazon does back this up. They refunded our payment when I called and told them the cans were dented. They had us keep the cans anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 10:15:13 PM PST
J. Hamilton says:
I have returned food items to Amazon before, is this a new policy?

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 8:18:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2012 8:18:47 PM PST
I received an incorrect food item last year and, even though Amazon did not want me to return it, they promptly refunded the money. In fact, Amazon has been great to deal with all around, for the past 12 years that I've been ordering from them. Did you ask them for your money back?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 12:39:28 PM PDT
I had no problem returning a rancid bottle of red palm oil this year,2012. I think that post was incorrect about returns of food items.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 1:20:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2012 1:21:56 PM PDT
K. Hedges says:
Here is the info for returns on grocery items. Maybe they accept returns at their discretion and you were lucky to be able to return the palm oil. This clearly states that grocery items cannot be returned. This is why I didn't even try to return the oil, but I guess I should have tried.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 3:00:49 PM PDT
gyrlfrynd says:
i'm just glad to see a company that stands behind it's product. i will go to their website and look around. i would pay more for good service. i have never had to return anything so far, so i do not know how amazon is, but i suspect they must be fairly honest or we would not use them. at least i would not knowingly do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:48:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 8:51:30 PM PDT
B. Smawley says:
I've been shopping at Amazon.com since they were a start-up when no one thought an on-line book store would work. I've never had a problem. Love shopping here!

By the way, the thing about returning food items is that they can't be resold because of possible contamination. Think about it--would you want a food item sent to you that has previously been sent to someone else not knowing how it was handled. That's why they tell you to keep the item but send replacements.

Edited to add: Amazon.com now has lots of other businesses/vendors selling at their site. This is convenient for us since Amazon can't possibly sell everything. However, I personally think it should be the company and not Amazon that stands behind the product if they are a VENDOR on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013 9:09:00 PM PDT
Reader says:
Amazon is consistently outstanding in handling reasonable complaints from customers. In most cases they will refund your money immediately even before they have received the returned items (returned in most cases at Amazon's expense). Even though you may be purchasing products manufactured or sold by others, unless there is a very good reason, Amazon will back up your purchase. That has been my consistent experience in buying all sorts of products from Amazon for over 15 years, and why I have such high regard for the company. It seems like your complaint was really with the manufacturer, and it sounds like they handled it very well. Glad you had a happy ending to your story.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›