5.0 out of 5 stars My laptop didn't explode when I inserted the 3rd party battery and turned it on, so that's good., July 27, 2011
This review is from: Anker® New Laptop Battery for HP Pavilion DV8 DV8t DV8-1000 Dv8t-1000 Hp HDX18 HDX18-1000 HDX18T-1000 Dv7 Dv7-1000 Dv7-1020us Dv7-1025nr Dv7-1016nr Dv7-1023cl - 18 Months Warranty [Li-ion 8-cell 4400mAh/63WH] (Accessory)
I have an HP HDX18 laptop. As happened with most people (from what I hear anyway) with an HP laptop, the battery died about a year into use. Mind you, I rarely used my laptop off AC. If you're reading this, you, like me, didn't want to pay an enormous sum for a replacement "genuine" battery. I'm also assuming that you, like me, saw a ton of different options on Amazon and wasn't sure which one to get. Sure, some are cheaper than others, and some have more capacity than others (mAh rating). However, pc manufacturers constantly tell us that we must buy their batteries because all 3rd party batteries are cheap pieces of crap that will explode inside our laptops, thus destroying them and probably everything within a city block. On top of that, it can be difficult to tell if a battery is actually compatible with your laptop, and some batteries certainly are of better quality than others.

For me, I narrowed it down to about 4 or 5 options that ranged in price from $30 to $43 and ranged in capacity from 4400mAh to 7800mAh. There were very few, if any, prior reviews for these batteries, and I don't think any of them specifically mentioned my model. Some of these batteries mentioned that they were replacements for the model number of the battery from HP and some specifically mentioned my laptop model as being compatible. When it came down to it, I knew that I would be taking a chance regardless of which battery I chose, though all options specifically mentioned a 12 month warranty. Ultimately, I decided to eliminate the two higher capacity batteries because they were larger - had a bump on the back side, which would have caused my laptop to not lay flat. While this is actually a good selling feature for many (increased air flow), I have a laptop cooler, and I prefer to keep the bottom of the laptop flat to the surface of the cooler. Additionally, as I rarely use the laptop off AC, I didn't feel that the higher capacity was necessary. Between the lower capacity models, I attempted to research the manufacturers/sellers to find out which was the better bet. I looked at other websites and I looked at reviews for similar products sold by the different sellers. Ultimately, I picked this model, despite it having the lowest capacity (and, in fact, about 10% lower than the original HP battery) and not being the least expensive and not specifically mentioning a compatibility with my laptop model (though it mentions being compatible with the model# of the original HP battery) because the seller seemed more trustworthy.

I ordered the battery during the evening on 7/25/11, and it arrived via UPS on 7/27/11 (I have prime). I inserted it into the laptop, and voila, it worked. It started with a 63% charge and promptly continued to charge. When I removed the AC adapter, my laptop immediately went to battery power and worked fine. So at this point, I would say that the battery is compatible with my HP HDX18, and I am pleased with my purchase. Of course, I cannot yet attest to the battery's longevity, so I will update my review down the road.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2012 8:56:10 AM PST
S. Roland says:
Hi, thank you for your review. It's been some month now, are you still happy with it? I read on other reviews from other brands that they dont last more than 3-6 month, does yours?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 8:54:41 PM PST
The battery still works, though I don't use the laptop as my primary computer. I use my desktop pc on a daily basis, and my wife uses a smaller laptop for her daily use. As it is, my HDX18 can go days without being turned on, and when it does get used, it's generally kept plugged in. However, I used this computer the same way during the entire life of the original HP battery, and it still died within a year of purchase. It does seem as though the battery loses charge fairly quickly when the laptop isn't in use - whenever I turn it on, the battery level is always significantly below 100%, but I can't say if that's normal for computer batteries, and I haven't bothered to pay much attention to how quickly that power is drained (charge it to 100%, turn off, and then wait 24 hours and check level and repeat for 48 hours, 72, etc.). I could certainly monitor that more closely if it's a concern for anyone and report back.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 2:06:11 AM PST
S. Roland says:
Thanks a lot for your answer, I think I'll stay with the power cable ;) I use it as main computer, it's for when I'm home, but as my battery died, I cant move it without shuting it down first, it's kinda annoying.
If you ever have any more information later, I'll read them :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 12:09:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 11:22:56 PM PST
No problem. I decided to check the battery level after 24 hours of the laptop being off, and it was at 94%, which I guess is better than I had originally thought. If I remember, I'll check again after another 24 hours to see if the drain % is consistent.

Update: I checked after another 24 hours, and the battery was at 87%. So it would appear that it loses 6-7% charge per day when the laptop is turned off and not plugged in.

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 12:32:45 PM PDT
Mark Spieker says:
This review helped me make this same choice for my HDX18. This is my 2nd battery replacement since my purchase in 2009. The factory battery needed replaced after one year. The previous replacement was the slightly larger capacity 5200mah bought to the original spec of KS525AA. I am just now replacing it after almost 3 years of service but I must say that my battery life for the past 2 years was negligible. Like Michael, I rarely use this large laptop off of AC power. I will soon run a calibration to establish original performance and I will take note of how this battery life compares to the original spec model that gives ~1 year of useful life.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›