1,140 of 1,205 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Different Amazon vendors give different cables! Cellular 5 Star gave best. Importer520 cables were okay. Item44less were worst, April 15, 2011
This review is from: Delton Platinum USB 30-Pin Data Cable for iPhone 3GS/4/4S and iPod (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I compared the cable I received with my original iPhone 4 and 3 cables. I cannot tell any differences other than a slightly different feel of the rubber/plastic material along the cable length, which by the way also differs between my genuine Apple iphone 4 and 3 cables. Another reviewer posted pictures on Amazon in which the cable in question appeared to have a slightly wider or larger connectors, but mine are identical in size, and appearance.

I am very happy with this purchase and will purchase several more.

ADDENDUM April 20, 2011
=======================
After my initial great experience with the cable (that I ordered from Amazon's merchant Cellular 5 Star), I ordered 3 more cables, and did not realize that the "default" merchant had changed to Importer520. I just received these 3 cables and they look similar to genuine Apple cables at quick glance, but on closer inspection, they all had surface blemishes and slight irregularities. They also had a suspicious looking "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China" stamped on the cable length.

The cable from Cellular 5 Star was of very good quality that I could NOT distinguish from genuine Apple cables, but the ones from Importer520 are slightly inferior. The feel of the cable length material is good though, in that it is supple. It will coil and uncoil without keeping the bent shape.

I have contacted Importer520 to see if I can get a refund, but their stated return policy states that they will not refund shipping costs, which when I ordered was almost all the purchase price.

ADDENDUM June 16, 2011
======================
I purchased another "OEM" cable, this time from Item44Less and this cable is the worst of the bunch. The length of the cable is made out of a rigid plastic that does not bend like the more supple rubber-like material of the genuine Apple cables or even from Cellular 5 Star or Importer520.

ADDENDUM September 2, 2011
==========================
I purchased another "OEM" cable, this time from C and J Accessories, which actually qualifies for Amazon Prime since their order fulfillment is through Amazon. This cable is clearly not authentic with the end that connects to the iPhone being larger by about 0.5 mm width and length. The other Amazon merchants cables were identical to design, but differed in quality. This cable actually differs in its design with its wider and thicker connector end. The length of the cable is also more plastic than a flexible rubber, compared to authentic Apple cables. I would say this is almost as bad as Item44Less.

ADDENDUM September 19, 2011
===========================
I purchased a cable from Niceeshop and it looks genuine except that the cable length material is not as supple as the genuine Apple cables. The cable length material is not as rigid as the Item44Less cable, but more inflexible (retaining bends) than the Importer520 cables.

SUMMARY (Ranked in order of similarity to an authentic Apple cable)
================================================================
1. Cellular 5 Star cables are the best and indistinguishable from my genuine Apple iPhone cables.
2. Importer520 is acceptable, but slightly inferior to Cellular 5 Star with some cosmetic blemishes. The cable length is made out of a high quality material.
3. Niceeshop is acceptable, but the cable length is not as supple as the Cellular 5 Star or Importer520.
4. C and J Accessories, although it qualifies for Amazon Prime, has its iPhone connector end as larger than the authentic one with a cheaper cable length material.
5. I would avoid Item44Less because of the rigid plastic cable material that does not bend and keeps the angular bent formation from its coiled position during shipping. The cable length material is the lowest quality (i.e. most plastic like) compared to the above four competitors.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 13, 2011 7:04:20 AM PDT
I can get a refund, but their stated return policy states that they will not refund shipping costs.......Good point for all to note...... Buy your products with free shipping whenever possible to avoid this bait and switch.

Posted on Jul 16, 2011 9:22:06 AM PDT
Ernest says:
Nice try Mr. Cellular 5 Star sales representative man... :o)

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 1:53:02 PM PDT
Thanks, I found this review very helpful. I bought the cable from Cellular 5 Star because it had free shipping and was only a few dollars more at $6.50. I would rather spend the extra few dollars and know I'm getting a quality item. Thanks again for pointing me to the right seller!

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 2:25:49 AM PST
Thank you so much! I ordered from Cellular 5 Star and was pleased with my purchase. The cable works and charges just fine :D

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 12:26:44 PM PST
esanta says:
Extremely helpful review, thank you very much!

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 6:36:12 AM PST
Nancy says:
Thank you for taking the time with writing a very detailed review. I can now make my purchase in confidence.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 9:55:47 PM PST
Finn's Mom says:
Umm, no, I don't think so. His reviews are so detailed because hes part of the Amazon Vine program -- hes written so many useful reviews previously that now Amazon sends him free products to get his reviews. Good deal, if you ask me...he's just doing whats expected of him to continue being part of the program....and writing such detailed reviews prior to that is what got him into the program in the first place.

Keep up the great work, E! =)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 5:31:33 AM PST
JOe says:

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 10:40:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2012 10:42:13 AM PST
chris2011 says:
I have to disagree with your review with regards to the Cellular 5 Star cables being the best. It may look like a genuine Apple iPhone cable, but the quality is horrible. Mine connected just fine to my iPhone 4, but the very first time I disconnected the cable from my iPhone, the dock connector end literally came apart (as shown in some user photos for this product page). Again, this was the very first time I had used the cable, and was carefully pulling the cable by grasping the dock connector between my thumb and finger. Cellular 5 Start must have been selling a better quality cable when you purchased yours, but not when I bought mine. I guess your mileage will vary. Because of this, I will spend the extra money on an authentic Apple dock cable and be done with it. Thankfully, the Amazon return process was painless and covered return shipping cost, otherwise I would have just thrown it away.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 7:42:30 AM PDT
Janell says:
chris2011, I had the same problem with my original Apple cord and that's why I'm looking for a new one. The wires are showing because the rubber coating has pulled away from the dock connector. This happened after just a few months of having my phone and cable.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.0 out of 5 stars (6,753 customer reviews)
 (2,382)
 (2,461)

$9.99 $7.50
Reviewer

E. Kim
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)