3.0 out of 5 stars 3 & 1/2 STARS: Nice camera with a few drawbacks..., December 28, 2010
This review is from: Sony Bloggie Touch Camera, 4-Hour (Black) (Camera)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 6:55 Mins

This is a sleek little camera, but had some quirks about it that bothered me. The #1 being that if you hold it vertically, you get a lonely strip down the middle of the tv screen instead of a full screen video. I've been recording and playing with this video camera for days, and the only way to not have that was to make sure I started recording holding the camera horizontally. Imagine you're recording a once in a lifetime event, and later you realized you started holding the camera vertically, and the whole video is just a tiny strip down the middle of your tv. That's an "oops!" that will make you mad for a lifetime.

#2: problem with the focus. I've had to do a lot of fiddling around to get it to attempt to focus on anything. Otherwise it would just continue to film unfocused, which is odd. I'm fine with a moment or two to get oriented, but it was just straight up not bothering.

#3: I recorded some 1080 video, and it did not play well on my computer. So far I cannot get the sound/video to sync together which is very frustrating. I'm guessing this is all because my laptop is a couple years old and really not made to play 1080 video. So I think that setting will only turn out to be useful for watching on the tv. Otherwise for facebook uploads and online viewing, I'm going to record in 720 from now on.

Otherwise, it's fairly easy to use, most of it is just common sense. Not too many buttons to get lost in. It will depend which way you're more comfortable holding the camera too, I like holding it vertically but for those horizontal people, this will work well for them. The plus side to holding it this way is that you'd also most likely use two hands, which will stabilize it and make your video less shaky.

When you plug it in to a USB port, the software should automatically load. It was up and running in minutes. The software was simple with no good editing capabilities. When you take a video, you can check mark it to be uploaded to facebook, youtube etc when you plug it in, or just leave it alone and do whatever you like with it manually. The screen size is excellent, but you've got to be careful you don't hit it when you're just holding it since it is a touch screen. It would have been great if they included a little carrying case.

Cute camera, easy to use, but my preference is still the flip.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 25, 2011 10:59:57 AM PDT
Try Kodak i had one and its better than sony bloggie. I had the Kodak playsport.. Check the review.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2011 11:48:00 AM PDT
H.F. says:
I already have a flip, but thanks for the recommenation!

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 6:10:10 AM PDT
Tinker says:
When you're shooting a video, and change the way you hold the Bloggie, does it switch the recorded image? If I begin recording in vertical mode, and while continuing to record, start holding it horizonatally, does that make the video become the narrow band down the center of the TV screen (or will it still be full screen)?

Thanks for doing this review!

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:53:33 PM PDT
Should've used the camera itself to record what you are saying. Whatever you were using for recording what you were doing (e.g. cell camera or another camera), it did not capture how good the bloggie camera is. I am planning to buy this camera since the brand name is sony and it's below 100 bucks.

I am hoping I can see how the quality of 1080p @ 60hz, 720p etc, of this little cute camcorder. Things I can recommend are probably like, record urself, try to zoom in to your face because people wanna see the cons of the zoom in quality i.e. auto focus (this way people can see how focus is focus, and how good is good; the more details that your camcorder can capture, the better i.e freckles, maybe acne?! jk, try something else like things that has lots of details on it).

Then, go outside at night where there is only small portion of lights like street lamps, and try to record yourself. These ways, people can see THE ACTUAL quality of either ANY cameras or ANY camcorders.

Oh, one thing probably you can also do is taking a picture of a moving car. This way, people can see how good actually the lense of the camera is.

These are the basic tests that sometimes photographer do. Me? I am still amateur myself. Thanks for the posting! Cute lil cat you have there ^^

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 4:23:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 4:24:54 AM PDT
H.F. says:
It was recorded with a flipHD, amazon compresses user videos so either way you're not going to see the HD quality. I'll record myself, moving cars, outside etc when I'm getting paid to do this for work. Being I'm doing a small video just to show my points on the review of the camera on my own time, this is what you get. If you want a "look at this beautiful quality!!!!!!" video, go to the Sony website, I'm sure they can help you out.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:59:58 AM PST
What kind of USB cable are you using to connect to the tv?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (354 customer reviews)

$239.97