5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Sound Quality, Ease Of Use, And Comfort, December 1, 2010
The LG HBS-700 is the third Bluetooth stereo headset that I have used (see my reviews of the Motorola S10-HD and Jabra CLIPPER). As in my other reviews I will focus on the music experience as I use my Motorola T305 for hands free calling. After pairing this unit with my Droid X, I evaluated it for sound quality, ease of use, and comfort.

Sound Quality: I don't have the strictest standards for music listening, but I haven't had many better listening experiences that I have with the 700. After changing out the earbuds for the larger set to get a good fit, I was ready to go. I can't emphasize enough the importance of getting a good seal between your ear and the earbud for sound quality. I have had this wrong on other earbuds in the past, and the difference in sound quality is night and day. For clarity of playback the only thing that I have gotten better sound from is my Creative Zen X-Fi with the EP-830 earbuds. While the 700 doesn't produce booming base, it is rare that earbuds do. By comparison I think that the 700 has better sound than either the Motorola or Jabra units that I have used.

Ease of Use: This is an area where I think LG has really scored. The 700 has a dedicated on/off switch, and each of its controls does exactly one thing. There are dedicated buttons for play/pause, skip, and reverse for controlling your music player. In addition there are dedicated volume and call buttons too. Once you learn which side the controls are on, it is very easy to control the 700 without being able to see the controls.

Comfort: If you have used earbuds with no issues in the past, you should have every reason to expect the 700 to be of similar comfort. I have listened for an hour and a half without giving any thought to the headset I was using. The unit itself rests like a necklace around your neck. The only potential issue I could see is that people with long hair may find that it gets tangled in the unit. If you are concerned about this, I would recommend checking out this unit in person. As of this writing you can do so at a Sprint store.

The one caution I would issue would be around active use. I don't think the unit is designed to hold up to bouncing around, and it also does seem to be sweat resistant either. I would recommend the Jabra Clipper for active use. However I use the 700 while sitting at my desk at work. It does fine with normal walking around and light activity. I would just refrain from using it during exercise.

Overall: The LG HBS-700 is a very strong offering. It hits the mark on sound quality, ease of use, and comfort. The only downside I see to it is that it was not designed for using during exercise. Otherwise I think that you will be happy with this unit.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2010 7:47:09 AM PST
Dear Phillip, Thank you for the review on this product. Can you comment on the audio quality when using this device for phone calls? I've tried so many different bluetooth stereo headsets and I always get comments from the person on the other end saying I sound "tinny" or "faint" or "do you have a cold?" (my personal fav). Thanks for any help you can offer

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 4:39:23 AM PST
Richard, I know this will probably sound strange, but I don't make a lot of calls period on my cell. It is primarily an e-mail and multimedia device. As such, I have yet to take a call on any of the stereo headsets that I have used. I can offer you a theoretical answer. Most stereo bluetooth headsets are designed such that the mic is somewhere on one of the earpieces. This distance accounts for a portion (if not most) of the voice quality issues that people report.

This is potentially another positive for the unique design on this LG set. The mic is at the end on the left side which gives it more of a forward position relative to other headset. I would expect better call quality based on the design, but I do not have actual experience to back this up. One thing you might consider is getting one of these from a Sprint store. They have a 30 day return period that allows you to get a full refund if you are not satisfied. I'm not a Sprint fan as a matter of course, but they happen to be the carrier that is selling this unit for the time being. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 6:17:57 AM PST
Thanks Philip. I'm going to give them a try and will report back about the phone quality. I've tried just about every bluetooth stereo device out there and like the idea of having the device hang around my neck so I can unplug them from my ears to have a conversation but leave the buds hanging there in case a call comes in.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 7:46:47 AM PST
Great review of a pair of bluetooth headphones that I believe are the best I've tried and fits my need. I've had some Rocketfish headphones and tried out the Plantronics before I literally stumbled across these headphones. I love them. One question though; I can't seem to be able to control my volume on the actual headset. I've paired it with both my iPod Touch (2nd Generation) and my Droid 2, and in both situations, I'm unable to control the audio. When I hit the "Up" button, I hear a button that makes it seem like it's reached it highest maximum volume, however, when I hit the "Down" button, I hear the exact thing, with no change in the actual audio volume. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is that something to expect?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 8:38:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2011 8:41:20 AM PST
Hi Kevin. I've had these for about 3 weeks now and really like the form and features. I've also found the telephone audio quality to be the best of any stereo headset I've ever tried (and I've literally tried them all). I've not heard a single complaint that I sound like I'm in a tunnel or "what's that noise". The audio quality for music isn't bad either. I'm used to something a bit "brighter" but my ears are adjusting. Overall, I'm really satisfied with this product. Regarding your question, try tapping the volume controls repeatedly at 1/2 second intervals rather than simply holding them down. That should solve your problem. Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 9:18:08 AM PST
This behavior is very specific to the device and how it implements the AVRCP Bluetooth protocol. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with either of your devices. I am surprised that it behaves that way with the Droid 2 because it works properly with the Droid X. I don't know if you use any of the Droid forums, but this would be a great place to post the question.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 10:19:32 AM PST
Yeah, I'm at a loss. Richard, I tried your method (and different variations) to no avail. Philip, I re-connected the device to my Droid 2 (I mostly have it connected to my iPod Touch), and made a phone call. I WAS able to control the volume of the call, but when I downloaded Pandora or tried to play any other audio on the phone, I couldn't control the audio.

Here's a question I have. The manual alludes to two different pairing modes, one essentially for making and receiving phone calls, and another mode for listening to audio. Is there a difference in the way you set up the device while pairing it with particular device?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 10:24:51 AM PST
I don't have the manual in front of me, but I seem to recall that the modes had to do with the number of devices it is paired with concurrently. Isn't it something to the effect that if you pair with multiple devices at the same time it only works for phone calls but not stereo?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 10:26:14 AM PST
Yes, and I only have it connected to one device. So maybe that doesn't help me at all. I mean it's not exactly a deal killer, but a bit of a bummer. Nevertheless, these really are great bluetooth headphones!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2011 7:59:21 PM PDT
J. Line says:
Hello Richard. I am interested in getting these headphones but I want to know if it is something that I can wear inside of my dress shirt. I do not wear a tie, so the question is, are these small enough to where I would be able to access everything just by reaching a finger or two inside my shirt? I do not like the idea of wearing this underneath my collar. I want them to be hidden except for the earbuds when in use. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›