1.0 out of 5 stars Control Box failed at 4 weeks, July 29, 2011
This review is from: Green Killing Machine Internal 9 Watt UV Sterilizer with Power Head (Misc.)
I was happy with this unit, seemed like a sane and useful design, however it failed at around 4 weeks of operation. If I am able to get warranty service, or otherwise the issue resolved I'll update this review but right now I can't recommend it.

At 4 weeks or so the control box red light went out which should indicate the UV lamp needed replacing. That's terrible but I wondered if that might not be just a defective light, etc. I just went ahead and purchased a new lamp, figured I'd use it in the long run regardless, however the control box indicator light is still out so that's not it, apparently the 'control box' has failed. I'm attempting to get warranty service from the manufacturer because I'm over the 30 day return policy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 23, 2012 8:45:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2012 8:49:05 PM PDT
Jon Waldrip says:
I had the exact same problem. I found the problem was the power supply, which was weird because it still output voltage when unplugged from the control box. When I would plug it in, the voltage would drop to next to nothing. I purchased a new 12VAC 3500ma power supply for $5 from Amazon. I had to splice the connector from the old power supply on to the new one, but it fixed it. It is working right now.

The unit does work really well for cleaning problems with algae bloom.
I highly recommend UV filters, but I wonder if another manufacturer may be more reliable.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 11:24:12 AM PDT
Raybuck1 says:
I had the same problem with one of mine and e-mailed the company and they immediately sent me a new controller and apologized for my down time. Great customer service and great product.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 9:50:49 AM PDT
J. Phelps says:
I never received a response.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:17:40 AM PST
I had a similar problem though I didn't notice how many weeks until my initial lamp burnt out. I ordered a replacement and it's still going strong for a couple or months or more...keeping my fingers crossed. This thing does work well though.

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 8:59:57 AM PDT
Jerri says:
Did the manufacturer ever replace the unit for either of you? Are the units still working?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2013 4:19:00 PM PDT
No response. I moved on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2013 8:30:40 PM PDT
Jon Waldrip says:
Mine has worked fine ever since I replaced the power supply.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2013 10:37:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2013 10:38:46 AM PDT
J. Phelps,
I am sorry to hear that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2013 10:38:15 AM PDT
Jerri says:
Jon, I am glad yours is still working. I am still confused about which one to get! Thank you for your response

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2013 7:27:43 AM PDT
J. Phelps says:
In my case I opened the control box. I figured since I could never get them to respond the warranty was worthless anyway, might as well take a peek ;-) Component failure and/or water contamination. Definitely a dead control box in my case. Power supply tests fine.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›