Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars A Badass Looking Watch for the Lady Folk, November 1, 2012
This review is from: Casio Women's BGD140-1ACR Baby-G Shock-Resistant Multi-Function Digital Watch (Watch)
I'll admit that I've always wanted a black-face watch because I saw my male counterparts with them and thought they looked wicked cool. On top of this, I'm a major time-freak and -- although I've been pretty fine with the $5 watches from Walmart -- I really wanted to finally buy something that looked durable and was made well. I'm not gentle with the stuff I own, and I wanted to finally get a watch I knew wouldn't deteriorate after six months of use (Walmart watches fall apart like clockwork -- literally).

I imagine I'll be editing this review as I get more comfortable with the Baby G. This being said, I ordered the watch four days ago and was blown away by how fast it got to me. Looks great, and the instructions to get it set-up were pretty straight forward.

In regards to wear and appearance and other stuff like functions:
1: The watch band is a bit stiff right now, but I imagine that will begin to go away the more it's worn. (re: update, yes! Does become less stiff with time).
2: My biggest concern when I bought this was that it would like oversized and manly on my wrist. Much to my happiness, it is a good lady's watch. The face isn't too big, and the band isn't too obtrusive. It looks like a solid women's athletic watch without becoming Spec-Ops bulky in size.
3: The Baby-G has an awesome countdown stopwatch feature that I think I'm going to love: Set up the buttons the right way, and it actually gives you a five-second countdown to starting the stopwatch, with the last three seconds beeping an alarm at you before zero.

UPDATE:

Still good watch. Still would buy again. But with some minor grievances to be noted.

1: As I ski and work up in the mountains, I tend to operate in some nippy temperatures. I've noticed that once I'm in an environment where the temperature is less than 10degrees F, the face of the watch starts to fog up. To me, this is an indication that somewhere in that neat little watch there is a little bit of moisture that has leaked in. Whether it be from me swimming every other day or from a little crack that has yet to reveal itself, I do not like this.
2: This is more of a whiner design thing than anything else: I really wish that while I was in stopwatch mode, I could still see the time. I used to have a TIMEX digital and one of my favorite perks of the watch was while in stopwatch mode, I could still see the actual time in the upper left hand corner. Unfortunately, the little Baby G does not do this.
3: Yes, it is hard to see the face in bright conditions. It is even harder with sunglasses. Not a big complaint, but definitely an observation. You will have to bump the light-up button to see the time occasionally.

UPDATE 2: Wristband woes
After two years of hard use, the wristband on this watch finally started to fail. I initially tried to metal epoxy it back together (this has worked previously with other watches), but to no avail. As a result, I had to go on a great and epic voyage to find a Casio wristband that would fit this watch.

As is custom with the free-market and those who use it, Casio likes to make money. With that in mind, within two years of your watch's model being introduced, they will retract the wristband for said watch, so that you cannot has. For those who are not stubborn, determined and/or poor, this usually incites them to just go buy a new watch and chuck the old one. But I am stubborn and poor, so I was determined to find something that could work.

In my case, it was ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to find the exact wristband for this watch. So I improvised. I took measurements of the band, carefully eyeballed my way through numerous Ebay and Amazon's postings and decided upon the following as a replacement:

Casio Genuine Replacement Strap for Baby G Watch Model-BG169A-1A, BG-169A-1B, BG-169A-1C

It is not the EXACT, matte-black wristband that came with your BDG140; in fact, it is a bit shiny and more plasticky, but it fits perfectly well with some delicate/fine-pointed flathead and Phillips screwdriver work and an awful lot of cursing. IT IS A MATCH IN TERMS OF CLASP SIZE, BUT THE LENGTH IS GREATER AND THE BAND IS SHINIER. If you're willing to compromise these things to keep using your excellent watch, it's a great replacement.

IN SUMMATION: still an excellent watch, but a bit peeved at how Casio pulled the exact band for the watch. Nonetheless, if you're stubborn and pigheaded like I am, you'll be able to find a solution.

[Add comment]