Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting, November 23, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Zumba Fitness - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Before getting started, let me just say that I have never bought any kind of "dance" program for the Wii, so my expectations may not have been reasonable.

Having been aware of the Zumba wave of fitness products, I was intrigued by one for the Wii. The way I figured it, if I could have fun, dance and get fit at the same time, why not?

The game comes with a belt you fit the Wii remote into. You have to take off the Wii protective jacket to do this and it is inserted into the belt so that the sensor is facing toward the ceiling. The belt itself has Velcro ends, so it's adjustable.

I must say getting started with this game was a bit difficult (for me). It took me a while to figure out how to get past adding my name. The setup seemed to go in circles and I it took me a bit of time to get past it.

So, I finally got past the registration part of it and started the tutorial. There are about 5 or so basic dance moves and then variations from that. The Wii remote senses your arm, hip, & body movements. From that it can tell if you have "mastered" the dance move it is teaching you and then progress to a more complicated step. Sometimes, while I was learning the moves, the instructor on the screen appeared to magically change steps without any way for me to mimic the moves.

One thing I did realize, when you got the moves "right" the instructor on the screen would turn green. Otherwise they were red most of the time. I looked in the instruction book to see if this was the case, but I couldn't find any reference to it.

I finally did start a dance session, and I couldn't keep up with the moves and the music but I didn't see this as a big issue. I know that with time, I'll get the moves down and be able to keep up. As long as I keep moving, that's the whole point isn't it? The session last 20 minutes.

There are other options as well, you can compete with friends, customize your work out and there is also a dance marathon session that lasts an hour.

Overall I would say this is a good investment. I do wish the creators had taken more time to make it a bit more user friendly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2010 3:07:34 PM PST
Zumba is an 'on the job' type class... meaning that unlike other aerobic classes where the instructor takes time to teach you the steps before going full out, Zumba instructors walk into the room, turn on the music, smile at you, and just start dancing in a repetitive routine that one eventually picks up.

So, don't feel bad if the Zumba person is red... it's very similiar to going to the class for the first time. Just have fun and move!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2010 9:48:40 AM PST
Does anyone know how big the belt is? What's the maximum waist size it can accommodate?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2010 12:25:36 PM PST
Wigi says:
Thanks for the encouragement! I do fully intend to keep on trying until I get it right. (And have fun doing it!)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 10:53:49 PM PST
C. Stone says:
I haven't bought this yet but since Genie said it has velcro ends you could always buy some velcro to add to it if you need to make it even bigger. Thought I would say something since nobody else has.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 1:48:47 AM PST
Wigi says:
OK, the belt itself measures 50 inches. The Velcro strips measure 14.5 inches (fuzzy part) and 6.5 inches (stiff part). Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you on this. I hope this helps you in your decision.

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 3:15:51 PM PST
R. Yip says:
I agree that the game moves really, really fast even at the beginner level. The game dance instructor moves much faster than any instructor at any Zumba class I've ever attended (I've been in 5 instructors classes). I also agree with wishing they had spent more time on the interface; I too had trouble after entering my name.

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 2:29:12 AM PST
leann says:
It kind of makes me gun shy, but I am in the boonies and there is no work out places of any sorts here unless you want to drive 55 miles away then you might be lucky.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 12:24:07 AM PST
Wigi says:
Yep, I too live "out of town". I also have some of the EA Sports Active Wii workout games and really like them. I got the Zumba Fitness for a change of pace. I am slowly catching on with this game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2010 8:23:01 PM PST
Measuring it from end to end it looks like 50 inches, but the Velcro belt was not connected. I would assume 47 inches to be on the save side. And the belt does not stretch. When you put the remote in it it pushes out away from your body so it won't make the belt feel any tighter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 9:50:08 AM PST
G. Richard says:
Hi - I am in the air about getting this game or the Zumba dvd's any suggestions?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›