5.0 out of 5 stars fun movie, January 8, 2006
This review is from: Harriet the Spy (Widescreen Collection) (DVD)
After reading some of the negative reviews about this movie, I am inspired to write my views!

I saw Harriet the Spy when it came out in theaters in 1996. I was 16 then, and I had read the book a few times. Quite frankly, I didn't like the book that much. I thought it ended badly and Harriet was a bit too mean in the book. But when I saw the movie, I fell in love with Harriet as played by Michelle Trachtenberg. She was positively wonderful in the role, and made Harriet likable and believable.

Harriet learns some important lessons about friendship and the power of words. She also learns to deal with growing up and living with parents who love her but are often absent. I think many kids can relate to this movie. Harriet's classmates are real kids and we see Harriet having to decide whether to cater to the popular kids or stay true to herself. We also see her take responsibility for her actions and win back her true friends.

I think Harriet is a positive role model in many instances. Of course, some could take issue with her spying on people, but she usually does not do so in an illegal manner! After all, this isn't a totally real story! The only thing I didn't like about the movie is when Harriet's nanny tells her she has to lie in order to win back her friends. Because really, she does not, she simply has to not be so harsh with the truth. But this is a minor point.

The music in this movie is great, and I have tried for years to find a soundtrack without success. If anyone knows where the soundtrack is, please let me know!

I also loved the scenes where Harriet does some crazy and fun things like going with her friends to the lady's garden made out of found objects, or fencing with Golly's boyfriend at the movie theater. Harriet and Golly's relationship is beautifully portrayed. It made me want my own lovable nanny!

At any rate, sorry for the long review, but I think this movie is fun and great and I highly recommend it for kids ages 9-13 or so. Parents should watch with the kids and discuss any issues as they see fit!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2007 10:07:39 PM PDT
J. Rose says:
I think you really didn't get this book. Maybe you should stop rereading it. I thought the Disneyfication of this story was awful. Leave Harriet and her "meanness" to the rest of us who love the real girl. Hope I'm not being "too harsh with the truth", but I think this is how you want things, yes?

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 8:03:58 AM PDT
Bonnie R. says:
Hi,

You can buy the soundtrack on Amazon. Here's the link:

Harriet The Spy

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2014 1:21:59 PM PDT
Thanks, I did finally get it!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2014 1:33:49 PM PDT
It is quite possible that back in 1993 when I first read the book, I didn't quite understand Harriet's character. My thoughts that I mentioned were based on those first impressions. I must have liked it enough to read it again, however! Or maybe I was giving it another chance. At any rate, those were my impressions of the book back then, and I included it to show that I thought the movie was good despite my lack of enthusiasm about the book. Now, many years later, I have read the book again, as an adult, and I think I understand Harriet better. That being said, I don't think the movie was Disneyfied ( especially since it was made by Nickelodeon), and I still don't think Harriet had to lie ( in the movie) in order to win back her friends. I understand now why she had to lie in the book, a bit of cynicism that was lost on innocent lil me back in the early 90s! However, as I was not actually reviewing the book, I do think your comment about my opinion was a bit too quick to jump to conclusions. I hope this clarifies my thoughts a bit for you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (136 customer reviews)

$8.99 $5.73