4.0 out of 5 stars Great tasting coffee! Annoying cleanup., February 21, 2010
This review is from: Bodum Brazil 8-Cup French Press Coffee Maker, 34-Ounce, Black (Kitchen)
Had this item about a month now (8-cup size). I use six level scoops for a full 'pot'of strong coffee. Makes about 3-4 "American cups" (8oz +). More than I can drink in a day, so I share with office-mates.

PROS:
1)Coffee tastes better from this than from my drip coffee maker, IMHO. This is of, course, the number one reason for getting any coffee maker -- otherwise we'd all drink instant and save the trouble of brewing and cleanup. Reading some reviews here and foodie-type sites, the great taste is because the 'natural oils' from the beans are not filtered out by a paper filter. I don't notice 'oily' coffee or any other change in texture but I do notice the upgrade in taste and that earns four stars right there.
2)(YMMV on this)My office has a hot-water spigot at the water cooler so I get hot coffee slightly faster than the generic drip coffee maker where I have to wait until all dripping's done to get my one cup cleanly. If you don't have a ready source of hot-water, more time will be added waiting for water to heat up.

CONS:
1)You'll still get some 'silt' (micro grounds), even when you coarse grind your coffee. This is mostly due to my grinder, I guess, but a work-around is that I've started to use a small strainer as my scoop. Using this, most of the silt is discarded -- but some still gets through.

2)Keep in mind that the round-ball press handle prevents the mesh part from reaching all the way to the bottom of the container. Because of this, if you put 4 or less scoops (i.e. making a only a cup or so), there's still some space leftover and you don't get that extra squeezing out of flavor from the grounds. Also, I think I got a little more 'silt' when trying to get the last drops out than I got from a full load. Perhaps a packed set of grounds traps more silt than a loosely packed mound.

3)Cleanup is pretty messy, and is my biggest CON for me. As AZshooter recommended, I also use a stream of water to get out the grounds. Works WAY better than trying to scrape them out dry into the trash bin. This, of course, requires a drain and water source. Also, a few grounds always get stuck in the metal frame that holds the mesh in place. I have to use a toothpick to get them out.

Lastly, be sure to drink all the coffee quickly OR separate it from the gounds by pouring the coffee into another container (e.g. thermos). The acidity of the coffee grounds begins to taint the flavor of the liquid above if you leave them together for an hour or longer. This and CON #2 should weigh into consideration as to which size French press to buy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2010 12:08:02 PM PST
K. Thompson says:
An easy way to clean it, is to fill it half way with water, then stir it while walking outside to fling it into the landscaping.

Posted on Jan 31, 2011 8:32:40 AM PST
You don't need a toothpick to clean the grounds from the filter!

It simply unscrews! No worries, as I didn't notice this either and the wife had to point it out. What an engineer I am! Simply hold the filter section in one hand and the ball top in the other. While firmly holding the filter section, turn the ball and the whole thing unscrews and you can clean clean out the grounds.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2013 3:52:00 PM PDT
tradlad says:
You can cut corners on that too. Just unscrew it a little to allow a very small gap between the discs, put it in a stream of water, gets cleaned up fast without the need to unscrew and screw back in fully.

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 4:13:56 AM PDT