Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Grocery Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

1.0 out of 5 stars Used to be good. Now the filters are TERRIBLE!, April 14, 2006
This review is from: Brita Slim Water Filter Pitcher, 5 Cup (Kitchen)
I've used Brita pitchers/filters for years. They used to be very good. In the last couple of years however their quality control has gotten worse and worse. The last few filters I bought all leaked large amounts of the black granules (about a teaspoonful a week). I don't like having black granules swimming in my glass of water. We're using filters to get rid of junk not add it in! When I contacted Brita about this several times via email they wouldn't respond (other than to send me an automated response saying they'd get back to me within a few days).

Buy a different brand. Brita is becoming a joke due to very poor quality control.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 6, 2007 9:06:05 PM PST
Nelly says:
I totally agree - the Brita filters I have used lately have shed excessive amounts of black stuff (carbon?) too! They used to only do that the first time I filled the pitcher.

Posted on Mar 26, 2007 8:34:03 PM PDT
D. Leonardo says:
Happens to me too! I thought I get a defective filter since I never had that problem before, I returned it to the store and get a new one but it still the same!!! lots of black carbon every time I refill the pitcher. Now every time I pour the water to my glass, I only can hope that those black carbons won't go along with it. Now I know their product just sucks, I should switch to Pur.

Posted on Apr 21, 2007 9:17:18 PM PDT
Jacobite says:
Never had a single problem with them. I get charcoal granules in the fill reservoir, but not in the pitcher, not even with the first fills.

In any case, the stuff is harmless.

Posted on May 21, 2007 2:26:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2007 2:27:01 PM PDT
Denis says:
I'm using Brita for few years and never had problem with charcoal falling from filter to pitcher, maybe it was defective party or these cartridges or for different countries they made by different plants where quality is differ as well...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2007 4:44:11 AM PDT
Jen Beers says:
Me too, they always stay in the top part of my pitcher.

Posted on Jun 22, 2007 7:46:22 AM PDT
L. Rosin says:
Each Brita filter has charcoal in it as part of the purification system. For the filters to lose some of this charcoal in the first few fillings is normal and harmless to drink. This is not a quality-control issue. This is the new filter doing something that the owner should expect.

Posted on Sep 8, 2007 6:44:12 PM PDT
W. Qin says:
I fully agree. The recent filters leaked too many charcoal granules even after the first several days. This didn't happen a year ago. It must be a quality control issue.

Posted on Sep 24, 2007 10:59:41 AM PDT
K. Kurpiel says:
It's an increased amount of carbon to make the filters more effective and have longer productive life. The increased amount actually helps keep some biologicals from living in the filter as well). We're mostly made up of water and carbon ourselves, just a fyi, so it's not 'junk' added in.

The 'black granules' are quite harmless, in some areas they might even be beneficial.

Posted on Sep 29, 2007 11:58:30 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Maybe the box that says in tiny print on the bottom "Pitcher Made in China, Filter Assembled in Canada" [from materials made where?] is a clue to why these aren't quite what they used to be.

Posted on Dec 6, 2007 4:20:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2007 4:21:40 AM PST
David Ross says:
I have noticed that sometimes a few and sometimes as many as 10-15 of the black (carbon) particles are visible in the top compartment of my pitcher. However for me these are only in the water that has not been filtered and never in the filtered water. If the carbon particles are in the water you are serving it is likely that you are using the pitcher-filter incorrectly. Unifitered water can pour out once the filtered water is gone. Brita has a middling quality control and design problem here. However even this particle leakage back into the unfiltered water is minimized when you fully rinse the filters before using. Sometimes I do pour off the particles if there are a too many. Overall this is no big deal though the filter could be improved.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›