Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

3.0 out of 5 stars LOVED this series, DISSAPPOINTED in the ending, December 25, 2011
This review is from: The Hunger Games Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
DON'TLIKE SPOILERS DON'T READ!!!!!!!!!!!

I fell in love with this series from the first line of The Hunger Games. I love the concept, because its so twisted and it makes me think and replay scenarios in my head. You are cast in to a world of bordering extremes, the Capitol with its futuristic technology and outlandish fashion and decadance; then you have the districts,many so poor that their technology has barely if actually evolved the use of electricity. I was engrossed in the development of Katniss' character. You really get the sense that she is carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. The actually games gutwrenching and thrilling. This coupled with Katniss' "relationship" with Peeta, and the fallout from the end of the games leave you craving the second book.

As expected Catching Fire more than delivered. We got to see what it was like readjusting to life outside of the games. I thought Collins did a great job on the love triangle angle, but what she really did great at was in the building tension after Katniss' stunt with the poison berries in the last book. Setting the stage for the real spark that leads to the dissent of the districts. This and the start of the Quater Quell just fits so perfectly, because no matter how hard Katniss tries to take control and fix things they just get worse.

This brings us the Mockingjay, the last book. I previously wrote a review that I swiftly took down, because in all honesty I was dissappointed in this last book. I have to agree with some other reviewers that the character development was lacking. None of the character seemed like the characters we were used to from the first two books. I was put off by how much time Katniss' spent drugged up or injured, and the story dragged in many places. Some of the things, like the concept of the pods, confused me, and overall nothing seemed true to the first two books.

I was however receptive to finding out how much of a puppet Katniss' really was even if she wasn't so keen on it herself. I thought that fit perfectly in the plot. The fact that both sides of the war we using her for their own agenda will not be lost on the audience. However even knowing that she is just a pawn the ending of the third book was totally unaccpetable to me. I was completely fine wit the death of the "New" president considering how she manipulated Katniss, I was okay with the death of Prim (EVEN THOUGH IT WAS COMEPLETELY ABBRUPT, UNEXPECTED, AND REALLY DIDDN'T FIT), and I was also fine with the conclusion of the love triangle. What upset me the most is how Katniss just fades into the background after the revolution is over and she kills the new, but equally manipulative president. They just lock her away in a hotel room for a few months until they have and complete her trial (WITHOUT HER THERE)and ship her off to exile in district 12. You would think someone so pivotal to the rebellion, no matter how much of a puppet she was would get the satisfation of aiding in her own trail, even if she hadn't wanted to defend herself. Katniss' last impression on the people of Panem was way to lackluster.

I LOVED THE FIRST TWO BOOKS. I'm not saying thethird doesn't have its good points too, but it takes a while to get to them, but in the end you are left with a sense of incompleteness.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 4, 2012 12:02:55 PM PDT
lilian says:
I agree that the last book seemed to be out of synch with the rest of the series. Too much needed to be explained and it was done in a sketchy and dissatisfying way. I don't require happy endings, but the ending has to make some sense and have some cohesion with what preceded it. It felt rushed almost as if the author had tired of it and just wanted it to be over. It's such a shame because such a magnificent series deserved better.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 9:16:18 AM PDT
Agree w/you. Seemed that the author got tired of the series and just let go of Katniss. that she wouldn't be present at her trial? Did not work for me. I know it is a children's tale and that frustrated me even more. This is the vision of the world for our young women =- go out and kill people, watch your loved ones die and/or be tortured, become a heroine and then be quiet, get married and have children to whom you will not tell the truth of your life. I REALLY hope that parents are discussing these books with their teens. VIP issues and must be open with them. Paints adults and power as totally corrupted and corrupting.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 7:37:29 AM PST
Kirstin says:
So Galen, I agree with Kathleen's interpretation of what the books say, but disagree with her that that message is inaccurate. (I do think power is corrupting, and these books are brilliant at showing why and how, especially how easily a defensive war can morph into an offensive war.) My question for you is, I understand that you didn't like what happened to Katniss, but did you find it unrealistic? An army psychologist who specializes in PTSD recommended these books highly because of Katniss' ending, because it really did seem to him to imitate what happens to traumatized soldiers. As for two warring sides disposing of their pawn...how was that not plausible to you? Katniss was told directly that Pres. Coin would try to kill her if she got a chance and why - no ambiguity there. I agree it's all very disturbing, but it felt "true" to me in a way that very few books have recently, as in, "Yes, if these crazy and extraordinary events ever were to happen, this is approximately how they would happen. These are the utterly predictable mistakes that well-meaning people would make, and the unfair advantages that not well-meaning people would enforce."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:53:08 PM PST
Galen Cook says:
Actually I don't find it unrealistic at all. It was the author's execution of the story that made me not like it. Too much time was spent doped up doing nothing to really advance the plot. Once its time to move the story along the detail is either too confusing or vague to paint a clear picture. Then she kills off key characters almost as an after thought and eliciting almost no emotional response. In my opinion the caliber of writing just wasn't at the same level in this last book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:00:02 PM PST
Galen Cook says:
I spent the majority of the book waiting for the story to get better and chapter after chapter I was let down. When Prim died my response was literally "Aw man, that sucks." Mind you this is the sister that Katniss sacrificed her life to protect. The entire series is founded on that one selfless act to take her sister's place. I bawled like baby in the first book when Rue died. You'd think I would have the same or a more intense response to Prim's death. But no. Not at all. The author rush through this book and as a result the plot and content suffered.

Posted on Nov 22, 2013 9:41:11 AM PST
R. Simoneaux says:
I very much agree... What's really annoying is how much attention (with the movies) Katniss is getting and how she's being labeled a strong heroine ... when she's not at all.. and it's not like that isn't shown from the beginning. I'm actually kind of hoping they change the ending for the last movie!

Posted on Nov 30, 2014 3:24:26 AM PST
jamoecw says:
i find the series like a metaphor of a prison transfer of a mentally retarded inmate. you get introduced to prison life, which builds the setting and is interesting. then the prisoner is told that they have to leave, so the prisoner packs away their things agonizing over what and how to pack, while wondering if they are going to the gas chamber. then the prisoner is herded onto the bus, with all the hectek stuff that goes on during such. that is the first book. the second book is the prisoner waking up and sees some weird stuff, then goes back to sleep. the propaganda from the first book seems as false as the reader thought it was (though it is news to the retarded inmate). the third book then has the prisoner get off the bus, while mentioning some abuse the chief of the guard did and getting them sacked. the prisoner is still a prisoner, the surrounding has changed, but we got that from the first book (and the third glossed over what did change), the second book was interesting but pointless, and the third could have been boiled down to a single chapter added to the second book and made the whole story better.

the general story is quite realistic, katniss is an unwitting mascot for a rebellion. the details are wrong (the most obvious are how fast she dehydrates and starves), and just their for literary purposes with no real point. the first book was fine, but the other two get progressively worse.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›