5.0 out of 5 stars One of those rare movies that's equally entertaining to kids and adults, February 17, 2014
This review is from: The LEGO Movie (DVD + UltraViolet Combo Pack) (DVD)
We saw this movie because my 8-year-old said, "Daddy, can we go see The Lego Movie?!" so away we went.

So to the question of entertainment value, as I said in the subject line, the adults and kids both seemed highly entertained. We were in a full theatre and one gentleman in particular seemed to be outrageously entertained with his incontinent guffawing. The kids were, of course, entertained enough and the movie had humor working on all levels from the youngest kids to the adults, though nothing REALLY adult, if you get my drift.

As to production quality of the movie, I was extremely impressed with the level of visual detail. I had assumed that since the Lego world is, of necessity, rather low resolution, that the movie might be clunky but they didn't shy away from high-definition situations. Seeing Legos animated into an undulating ocean, explosions, fire or billowing smoke and dust was particularly surprising. In a similar vein, if you go see this movie be sure you keep an eye on the stuff going on in the background. I noted several scenes in which what was going on behind the focal point of the camera was at least as entertaining as what was going on in front.

Lastly, on the topic of actually learning something, this movie was surprisingly deep. On the surface there was a profound lesson on the value of individuality vs working as a team. Often in children's movies the themes crow constantly about being your own person and doing your own thing but this one has a strong streak teaching the value of working together and accomplishing more than any set of individuals working separately could. Later in the film, parents get a strong admonition about letting kids be kids and practice their individual creativity rather than trying to get kids to fit into strict parental expectations. All in all lot to learn here.

In summary, Izzy said, "Best movie Ever!" but then she always says that. On my part I wouldn't say best movie ever but it had a lot to say, was technically well executed and featured lots of famous voices that parents will recognize. I'm not sure what more you could want than that.

PS: It is always my endeavor to provide helpful reviews. If you find my review helpful then great! If you do not, then please leave me a comment indicating what you want to know and I'll be sure to do better next time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 24, 2014 2:22:53 PM PST
S.Oh says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2014 5:53:02 PM PST
Rob Slaven says:
Hrm. It appears that it *IS* in the movie section. Perhaps Amazon is confused and mashing them all together?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2014 12:52:19 PM PST

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 8:52:51 PM PDT
MAL says:
Your movie review was all fine and dandy but how was the DVD?

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 3:01:48 PM PDT
thestud01 says:
You said it, and said it well. In fact, I'd have to agree with you the whole way through. My home city's theater was packed as well, and people were laughing. EVERYONE was. Including ME, and I'm almost 20. The movie was so good, I saw it twice. TWICE. Bottom line, I agree.

P.S. I hope this helped.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2014 5:25:22 AM PDT
Jeannebeanne says:
The DVD isn't out yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2014 8:39:14 AM PDT
Jim Beck says:
I'm sorry, but when you said "including ME, and I'm almost 20," I cracked up. The insinuated belief behind that statement -- that it's amazing that an almost 20-year-old could laugh at a cartoon -- is hilarious. Are you unaware of how many millions of adults love cartoons? Grown adult men (30+) were known to nearly cry at the incinerator scene of Toy Story 3. If an animated movie is done well, it knows no bounds of age.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2014 4:34:00 AM PDT
Turtle says:

Posted on Jun 10, 2014 9:15:02 PM PDT
elektrolad says:
So it is far better being part of a robot team that works without questioning anything than being an individual who dreams of a better world? (That explains why I have such a difficult time with co-workers.) Btw, The Lego Movie is the best movie my family have seen in years. Since Amazon won't be selling it any time soon I'll get my super deluxe blu-ray set elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014 11:40:34 PM PDT
MAL says:
I know, I found this review on the DVD page.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (2,950 customer reviews)
 (2,057)